Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bolind posted:

I saw that as well but am too dumb to figure it out? What's he fitting?

Looks like the carburetor from the original Mini. At least that's what I assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slidebite posted:

Thought of putting this in the failure thread but figured here. Sat through an internal company web presentation today, developed from our American head office. Something jumped out at me immediately as soon as I saw this page. I can't believe I was the first person to notice this but I told them afterwards and they had absolutely zero clue. Tell me what I saw (slightly obfuscated to remove identifying company stuff).

I assume you're working for an American company, not Ukrainian.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This was in my recommended videos.

What's an insulting name for Gen Xers?

I use the BlockTube extension to aggressively curate my recommended list to get rid of all the poo poo.

For some reason YouTube thinks I'm interested in the lifestyles of Bollywood stars, trips to shopping malls in Bangkok, and conservative media horseshit. It's all gone now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alarbus posted:

No idea where you were looking, but in Vermont it freezes for six months, and then is thawed for six months. No problems! :haw:

Basements in PA aren't bad either. I am a little weirded out by basements without an egress that isn't the stairs inside the house, though.

I grew up in Michigan. Everybody had basements. As long as your foundation is well below the frost line, there isn't a problem with it.

The water table is the real issue with basements.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Adderall trip report.....Yeah I won't be taking this poo poo on a daily basis. Felt like I was hopped up on a mega dose of caffeine then came down HARD like I was coming down from a night of partying doing lines of coke. And that was just from half of a dose :v:

Slow release makes a huge difference for me. Plus you only have to take it once per day.

There's several different options/formulations so keep trying. Dosage matters a lot, too. Finding the sweet spot between too much and not enough can take a while.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Didn't know there was a slow release version, that sounds ideal. This is good to know thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been using it? Are there any long term issues with it? I just don't know if I want to take it daily and was hoping I could use it as needed when I have a busy day lined up to help me focus etc.

I've been taking it on and off for about 20 years. I quit taking it for a while after heart surgery, but picked up again a few years later. It makes a significant difference for me. I can tell when I've forgotten to take my morning pills. I just feel dopey all day without it. I haven't noticed any long term issues. Some people find it depresses their appetite.

I think there have been studies that show that taking it every day helps with the ups and downs. Your brain kind of gets used to and anticipates it. Taking a break from it just means your brain has to adjust to it all over again.

One pill of 30 mg of generic methylphenidate SR daily does it for me. 10 mg worked reasonably well in the 4 hr pill, so 3x in the 12 hr pill did the trick and smoothed out the highs and lows - plus I didn't have to take them constantly.

Adderall isn't quite the same stuff, so experiment around to find the right one that works best for you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I live in a new neighborhood. They bulldozed all the soil right down to clay and threw sod on top. It used to be lush farmland before they developed it. Could have been promising but the developer hosed it.
Everyone in my neighborhood struggled to keep their sod alive for 2 years; watering daily, constantly feeding and seeding and whatnot. It was useless.
I had spent the time slowly adding gypsum and topsoil and mixing it in. I have a nice thatch layer that is the dead sod so my yard doesn't wash away completely. It looked like utter poo poo while everyone else had some semblance of "grass" which would get constantly taken over by weeds.

This past fall I finally bit the bullet and put one last layer of topsoil down followed by a couple applications of fertilizer. That week it rained a lot and the next weekend I overseeded the hell out of it after it got cold and all the geese left.
This spring I had the greenest most lush lawn in the entire neighborhood. loving clovers the size of your hand. It is amazing. Yes, I let the clover live. I love clover and it's very good for the soil.
I had to mow that thing like every 4 days while everyone elses' sod is finally giving up. My poor neighbor puts like 10 hours a week into her lawn to get it to just stay alive and my other neighbor gave up completely and his lawn is just dirt.
I'm still mowing like every 4 days.
I got a shitton of spring chikweed but I'm about to weed-and-feed tomorrow after it rains tonight and I'm sure I'll be in for another bout of "holy gently caress my lawn won't stop growing."

Hmm. Spend lots of money and time fertilizing and watering your lawn so you can spend more time and money mowing it twice a week.

What a deal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scathach posted:

I have an 85 Bronco II, an 86 Bronco II, and a 2008 police interceptor that was an accidental gift.

The non-hell-cars are a 1986 Fiero and a 1979 Nova. I mean the Fiero is bad because it's half metric and half not, and every bolt is different, but it's cute and stupid fast.

We used to have a house bus, 2001 New Flier. Also a pain.

Welcome home, friend.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bolind posted:

Some months ago there was a lot of printer chat. Wifey wants a printer, and I want something small that doesn't use consumables that dry out or cost a fortune. I seem to remember a Brother laser being the goto. Is color laser at home feasible these days?

Staples (for example) does color printing for like $0.25 a page. You can send them jobs over the internet and then drive down and pick it up.

Color laser at home is certainly doable, but there's not a lot of reason for it. We almost never print anything in color. B&W handles nearly everything and it's dirt cheap.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dagen H posted:

2016 Part II: I still don't want to vote for any of these assholes

That's pretty much the way it is in every Presidential election. One of them is going to win regardless, though, so I tend to vote for the one that will cause the least damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jonathan posted:

AvE is pretty cool. I like him. He's well traveled and intelligent.

You want to see a poo poo show, check out Zip ties and Bias plies.

I don't watch machining/fabrication videos for the opinions or political commentary.

He's generally good at what he does, but there are enough alternatives that I don't need to put up with his bullshit.

Mr. Pete also has some terrible political opinions, but at least he confines them to specific videos (his vlogs) so I can ignore them.