Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

Oh and the bit after the credits killed me.

I saw that as well but am too dumb to figure it out? What's he fitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Made Brad & Claire's sourdough doughnuts. Only burned myself once!

Big up's to AI chat thread for putting me on to Brad/Claire/Bon Apetit in the first place. Best YT content besides Binky.

That looks delish and I'm tempted to try those myself.

I've been trying to get on the Bon Apetit, and Brad is entertaining, but I just can't deal with the stupid speech bubbles and animations all the time. It's way overdone. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

In other news, I've been battling a work problem (rootless podman containers on CentOS 8 if anyone cares) and I was basically living xkcd #349, but today it all came together and it's pretty awesome. Feels good man!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo the company fired the village idiot. No more cleaning up after someone who shouldn't have been in the department to begin with.

Hell yeah, always a good feeling when there's one less idiot to deal with.

On that topic, would anyone like a free octogenarian neighbour? Features include having a physical paper news paper delivered by noisy scooter every morning at six am, being an OCD busybody, letting himself into our lot, having many opinions on how we should make our garden and spend our money, and being absolutely OCD with the fence contractor we have in (shared cost).

Luckily, statistically, the problem will solve itself within a number of years...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just mounted remote controlled blinds in our skylights in the hall. Perched atop an 11 step ladder, working above my head. Very happy it's done.

Now hopefully the Scandinavian summer sun rising at 4:30 will stay on the outside and allow me to sleep in, just a little bit. Waking before you toddler is not natural.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Batteries? Those fuckers eat batteries way faster than they should. My in laws put some in an area that's awkward to get at and after the 3rd time they changed the batteries they said screw it and just left them closed.

Battery and solar. They’re facing north so I’m a little concerned, but the manufacturer claims a fully charged battery is good for 600 actuations, and we’re going to close and open them once per day half the year, so...

A smarter man (or a construction company with more foresight) had foreseen this and ran 230V to them, as they also come in a hardwired version.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

I have 20 ft ceilings and 2 separate smoke alarms started their low battery beep. I thought they were AC powered but the step-ladder, and a macgyvered device of two brooms and some duct-tape fashioned like an oil filter cloth type removal tool did the trick. Now to refit the fuckers with real ladders.

I once worked in a building that had the foyer at four stories tall, and old school incandescent bulbs in lamps in the ceiling.

Changing them used to involve renting a cherry picker on a weekend, but then one of the janitors fashioned a device out of a handful of broomsticks and half a tennis ball. Turns out that the shape and friction of the tennis ball was perfect for unscrewing the bulbs.

Then he was fired when there was layoffs. But management in that place were shitheads so he’s probably saving another company thousands now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Moving chat: I’ve hopefully moved for the last time in a couple of decades or three, and last move we hired movers. Absolutely recommended. While they were stoner halfwits (I could smell the joint being lit while following their van in my car) they moved everything with no damage for something like $170 an hour, for two guys and a box truck.

If you’re a grown up with a big boy job, hire movers. Then invite your friends for beer and pizza afterwards.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

i got a layoff notice today, feels bad

gently caress, man, hope you find something new soon.

I had my last day at my old gig end of March, but due to the 'rona, there was only a zoom farewall beer thing. I've now been invited to breakfast Friday (it's a recurring thing. Holy ol' gently caress do the lifers love their 800kcal Friday pastry. But I digress.) and I can't really be bothered to be honest. Some useless middle manager is going to give a speech with no footing in reality, and I should actually be at my new work doing productive stuff. Oh well, at least there'll be a box of chocolates or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Some months ago there was a lot of printer chat. Wifey wants a printer, and I want something small that doesn't use consumables that dry out or cost a fortune. I seem to remember a Brother laser being the goto. Is color laser at home feasible these days?