Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005
ASK ME ABOUT MY BIG DUMB LANDCRUISER

Sgt Fox posted:

Awesome. We need a tractor chat thread.

The Tractor Thread: John Deere Dies At The End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

I just discovered a circuit in my house that has over 20 devices on it.

Thank you, previous owner.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just discovered a circuit in my house that has over 20 devices on it.

Thank you, previous owner.

Update: This circuit no longer exists, total device count was 26 + 1 unknown branch to shrugsville.

I did however, manage to build an oscillator out of my house's wiring and basement lights. Wire a light fixture across neutral? 1 flash per second. Wire it across hot? 2 flashes per second, but only if you use LED bulbs. CFLs and incandescents stay solid on.

E: I did a dumb, see if you can figure it out.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 8, 2020

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Florida loves you and welcomes you back with open arms

It's a trap!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

Tremek much respect to you, but you probably shouldn't be crossing the nation during these times. It's not the responsible thing to do.

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't caught more flak for this. This forum has been wildly anti-corona but as soon as one of their own wants to take the family on a cross country trip amid a rise in cases it's all bon voyage.

I think a bunch of us have long since realized once Tremek decides to do something there's no talking him out of it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

taqueso posted:

or at least a couple people will stick their faces in your armpits

For some people that's the same thing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

Last two weeks? 0. Today? Over 150km so far, more to go.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Self-isolation is over and my first day back working I slip on my back porch stairs and twist the gently caress out of my ankle...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, that's probably true.

Reasonably close to true.

2.5/12 = 0.20833333333...

208mA isn't gonna mean poo poo to a car battery.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

wallaka posted:

I had a lovely little solar panel on my boat, and it kept the battery alive over the winter for 5 years.

I mean along the lines of overcharging, it's absolutely adequate for trickle-charging/maintaining.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

kastein posted:

The way I've always viewed it is that cooking is an art and all measurements are open to interpretation, baking is a science and reagents must be measured accurately or you will make a flubber, not a loaf of bread.

I feel like that's a lot because baking can be something you have a lot less direct control over as opposed to most other cooking methods. If you put too much liquid in a sauce you just simmer it longer, if you put too much liquid in a batter your cookies will turn into one big sheetpan-size cookie.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Congrats on the sale, everdave. Hope that you made some money on it, looked like at least one person was there to bid on a truck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

I'm playing the buy a new car game again. Decided I really want a Hakone Edition 86.

Trying to find a dealership willing to play ball is proving frustrating though, only one so far has quoted me pricing and they basically just quoted me msrp and said they couldn't offer more info atm.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you probably aren't gonna do that well for a single-year "limited edition" that dealers don't get allocated by default

That's why I'm shotgunning dealers across the province. I can afford the car, I just need to find someone willing to sell it to me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

A dealership got back to me, they can't really offer much more information until Monday but apparently there are no manual Hakone Edition 86s in Canada atm, I very well could be the first person interested in one.

A few other dealerships have told me to pound salt.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

"What, diesel is an oil. It lubricates diesel injector pumps."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

I start having difficulty breathing if my wallet isn't in my pocket, hand, or line of sight. The only time it's not on my person is when it's in my pants on a pile on the floor beside my bed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Toyota just said they're going to allocate a Hakone 86 to the dealership that's playing ball.

The caveat is I have to sign a purchase agreement first.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

taqueso posted:

let us know when you pick it up!

I'm still waiting for reality to slap me in the face.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

I had the sticker, "Do you even shift, bro?" on the Versa.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

daslog posted:

My budget is $15k, and yes, I really don't want to die. A used tractor is more than acceptable, and I'd like to be able to dig up stumps.

For your budget you can probably get a decent used 60hp or so tractor, most sell for a fraction of that (they're very common, last forever, and are probably the cheapest price point for tractors). It will be able to lift and move most of the logs and brush, tear out smaller stumps, etc. The bonus is if it snows where you live then you can get a 6' wide snowblower for it and clear your driveway in two passes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

daslog posted:

Sweet. Can you give me an example or two of a model I'd be looking for?

Not really, that's why I quoted you a horsepower number. Anything from 40-70hp will be adequate for your needs.

If I had to give examples...

JD 1830/2030s
Case 900s
Case 400s
Massey-Fergusson 300s
Fordson...

Comedy option, this is within your budget but probably way more tractor than you need: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equ...ctor/1498751222

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

If you have to buy a new tractor, I would definitely go Kubota, especially compared to a John Deere.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

If it's any consolation up here the choice is between three assholes instead of two, so it's not like more options improve things.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

jonathan posted:

He calls cheap chinese junk "Chinesium". I guess that's racist? He's using the language of the common working class Canadian.

Guess what, it is racist. Is it as bad as the n-word? Maybe not, but bigotry is bigotry. It's commonality in usage doesn't preclude it from being racist.

I'm a working-class Canadian and I don't use that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

Stars still aligning on the 86, my accountant finally filed my taxes and the damage is saying I can afford the car as long as I don't get super hosed on trade. Guess now I find out how hosed I am getting on trade.