Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Cybernetic Crumb

Previa_fun posted:

I've noticed a poo poo ton more covid denial popping up on facespace the past day or so. Is this the new right winger talking point?

It's the same folks who were making sure everyone knew about their guns and ammo a month and a half ago and were convinced either mad max or civil war 2 was coming.

Surveys are saying they're a significant minority, but they sure are loving loud. Also delete facebook. I looked at it for the first time in months recently and I had a couple messages. Then I checked my feed and one of my friends is a moron.

THE MEDIA LIED ABOUT WHAT TRUMP SAID! HE NEVER TOLD ANYONE TO INJECT HOUSEHOLD CLEANSER, HE SAID DOCTORS SHOULD LOOK INTO INJECTING HOUSEHOLD CLEANSER. IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND THE PROBLEM IS THE MEDIA NOT THAT TRUMP IS OBVIOUSLY A loving MORON WHO THINKS DOCTORS DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INJECT HOUSEHOLD CLEANSER.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

In spite of the trash, that's still really pretty property.

jonathan posted:

what's the workflow for getting images into a project thread these days ? gently caress me if im going to manually copy and paste a bunch of imgur ur;'s or whatever I did 10 years ago. What's the easiest way ?

You gotta host 'em somewhere and you can't host 'em here. But if they end in lower case .jpg the forum automatically adds the tags for you. Other than that I'm not sure if there's a better way, I just deal with it because I only post a few pics at a time.

In more covid news, I gotta say I'm already becoming a better cook and I can see a major lifestyle shift even after this is over. Now that I'm in the habit of cooking more it'll be easy to keep going. Even quick easy food, like I normally toss hot dogs in the microwave but I felt like more flavor so I split and pan grilled them, and toasted the bun. Put some cheese on there to melt and holy poo poo what a better tasting hot dog than normal.

The hardest part of being a parent is watching your kids suffer with no way to help. My daughter's last 3 months of senior year has been just... erased. She was supposed to direct her first play (after 4 years of performing and doing stagehand/costumes/etc), she was supposed to perform in a dance show, she was supposed to go to prom, and all the associated parties with her friends. And no graduation except what we throw for her and broadcast virtually. She will likely not see any of her best friends again before they go off to college, when they had an entire summer full of plans. It's a really lovely ending in place of what was supposed to be a really epic time in her life, just at the peak of everything she's built up and worked her rear end off for. And she's very melancholy about it. She made a mix tape for her best friend and asked for my input on the song order. It's all really sad breakup songs and it makes me choke up on her behalf. Because she's in the IB program at school, all her work ended on 4/20 and the rest of the year was studying for the very intense final exams. They cancelled the exams so she gets to graduate with the grades she earned, which again was all As. She gets a nice 4 month summer break but has to spend it alone. Or worse, with her parents.

I know it's just high school bullshit but when you're 17 it's everything, and I can't do anything for her. It's nobody's fault, and others are suffering a lot worse, so we try to keep it in perspective. It still sucks.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 2, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

slothrop posted:

Claire's gourmet makes videos don't have the same OTT editing so they may work better for you. Claire is great too, I really feel her frustration when she can't get something to work. I really like all the failure the BA videos show - cooking isn't like a perfect instagram "how-to".

Agreed, Claire got me in to the show, I have a huge crush on her.

I also recommend the series where they go to a reputable restaurant and order one of everything on the menu. (It's called One of Everything, if you search that you'll find the entire playlist). There's a few of the goofy speech bubbles and stuff but for the most part it's great hearing two food-trained people describe all the reasons a restaurant is awesome. It'll make you hungry as gently caress though.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

STR posted:

I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)
Shoulda just smiled and said "Gracias!" and closed it on your way out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

My dad converted half his basement into a rental apartment. I'm seriously considering un-converting it when I move in with him. Such a waste. His current tenants are trashing the place. Luckily it's all concrete so if I have to just rip everything out and power wash it I can. There's a 30 x 30 wide open area with no posts or anything, my sister and I wanted to rollerskate in it when we were kids, unfortunately my parents built shelves so we couldnt.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Maksimus54 posted:

Tremek much respect to you, but you probably shouldn't be crossing the nation during these times. It's not the responsible thing to do.

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't caught more flak for this. This forum has been wildly anti-corona but as soon as one of their own wants to take the family on a cross country trip amid a rise in cases it's all bon voyage.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think a bunch of us have long since realized once Tremek decides to do something there's no talking him out of it.

Also a bunch of us have realized that Tremek is a really good dude who's had more than his fair share of bad luck over the last two years, and doesn't deserve to be dog piled in the usual manner. If you have a disagreement, you can voice it, but don't be a typical internet shithead about it. Not here, and not with him.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: I just started watching community, does it get better?

It takes a little while to see what they're doing with the characters. I hated it for a few episodes but yeah it gets better. Some characters are intentionally unlikable for comedy's sake so if that's not your bag then you may never like it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So just a question - whats the best way to utterly destroy a Subaru Outback?

Sawzall does fast work.

meatpimp posted:

You know that you need to recreate that picture once you get them, right?

With blow up dolls.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

I'm also driving 30 miles a day because even though I'm allowed to work from home I can't build a machine there.

Previa_fun posted:

Here's a teaser. This is actually someone I used to work with who is way off the deep end. Surely people on the front lines are more sane...

Oh. Well he's right I mean viruses are small but masks aren't used to protect the wearer either...

I touched the poo on Facebook over this concept, people are so loving ignorant. Just because something sounds like it makes sense doesn't make it fact, yet this poo poo spreads like crazy. What makes me super angry is how arrogant the people spreading it get, when they're 100% wrong. I'm only going to get in to it here because people here actually listen.

I worked for 6 years designing medical lab equipment which had filters for pathogens. Yes pathogens are small. This also means they have almost no inertia and are subject to microscopic forces, electrostatic and things like that. They almost never travel alone and when they do they don't travel far. You would be surprised at how effective even a lovely wide open filter is at trapping pathogens. Pathogens are attached to dust, droplets, skin flakes, hair, etc. You know, things that are super easy for even a loose filter to pick up. So yeah, that's why a mask is effective. It's not stopping the virus. It's stopping the stuff that's carrying the virus. We used filter material designed for laying down under landscaping to stop the growth of weeds, and it was over 99% effective at barring loving tuberculosis from getting through it.

So to debunk the meme, think of it like this: Putting up a chainlink fence to stop mosquitoes will work because in this case all the mosquitoes can't fly and jump on to the baseballs and basketballs that are rolling across the field. The fence stops those just loving fine.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 13, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Coredump posted:

You got a link or something I can read about the landscaping cloth and tuberculosis? I think I want to touch the poo on Facebook too.

Sorry, between my memory being sketchy and no hard data I couldn't even tell you the name of the material anymore. Just that our customers helped us test it and they were like "yeah this is good".

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Hah you guys are giving me PTSD over my first house. I should write it all up at some point while I still remember. 24 years old, just married, 80 year old house. It was a major fixer upper, and there was one room with a roof leak that we just decided to "ignore" and kept the door shut. By the time we got the roof re-done there were actual mushrooms growing out of the wall in the corner of the ceiling.

The crazy part is that it was super easy to repair the water damage because the house was built on a concrete slab with cinder block walls inside and out. The interior walls were finished with chicken wire and plaster. So we just scraped off the soft damaged plaster, hit it with kilz and re-finished it. If you want a quiet house, it's a great way to build it. But drat was it cold. Zero insulation except whatever cinder block porosity gives you. It must have been some experimental "concrete is the future" house, because the only wood used anywhere in construction was the ceiling joists and roof frame, but even then they insulated the attic with GRAVEL (which the previous owner let her cats use as a massive litter box, *shudder*), and the roof had a 1-1/4" thick layer of light aggregate concrete spread directly on the sub-roof which was tongue and groove planks. The roofer lost his rear end because the tear off was about 3x the weight of a usual shingle tear off. And it had 3 layers of shingles on top of the concrete. Right before we sold it we sprung a water leak. Woke up to a room with an inch of water on the brand new carpet. The plumbing was all copper pipe poured in to the concrete foundation, and a pipe cracked where it came out of the floor. Jackhammering down to replace the cracked pipe caused it to crack in another spot, so a day after the repair we had to do it all over again. Turned out the plumbers ran out of elbows when they installed the pipe so they just bent it a couple times by hand to make a 90. Creases and all.

These are just a few of the problems with that house. No wonder I didn't buy again until over 10 years later.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

That looks loving hilarious.

I'm starting to get super depressed, my daughter is pulling away towards independence months before she's actually leaving for college. Basically just wanting to be left alone. I get it but it still sucks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been cooking a lot more obviously since the stay at home orders, and one thing I've perfected now on my 6th or so batch is brown butter rice krispie treats. Holy poo poo, browning the butter and adding more of it gives you the most amazing flavor profile. I started making them because my daughter asked for them and they're dirt simple, but taking the extra step to brown the butter is worth every additional second.

Recipe:
1 stick salted butter (1/4 lb, 1/2 cup)
12 oz marshmallows (the standard bag size at my store)
6 cups krispies.

Brown the butter, pour over marshmallows, melt in microwave, stop to stir a couple times, once melted pour over krispies, mix well, eat because gently caress waiting for them to cool.

The cool part is one family size box is exactly 3 batches of treats. So each grocery trip I buy a box of butter, 3 bags of shmallows, and 1 box of rice krispies. Easy to remember, easy to make.

Edited to make the butter qty less vague. The bag recipe is 1/4 cup butter, fyi.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 19, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Margarine? Just use the recipe on the marshmallow bag.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Galler posted:

I've been making them as well due to Alton's video
https://youtu.be/dworC_RqzHw

Hahahaha that's awesome. I lost it at

<----Dinner

I ate half a batch for dinner on sunday night. Totally spoiled my actual dinner.

slidebite posted:

Oh good no, I wouldn't use margarine for that, I would use butter for sure.

Or "?" as in you don't know what margarine is?

I just read your post as "that's the size sleeves of margarine I have". Sorry to low-fat shame.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 19, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

slothrop posted:

I feel that one area that causes a lot of frustration with cooking, baking in particular, is recipes that are written that assume the reader has knowledge & experience of certain (often basic) techniques.

One last derail back to cooking chat, this is so true. I finally learned from watching Bon Appetit that the secret to fluffy panckakes is to not over-mix the batter. Stir it up and intentionally leave little pockets of dry mix, then let it sit for a couple minutes. I don't know why this works but last saturday I made cakes that blew up over 1/2" thick. Super light and fluffy, and delicious enough for a boxed mix.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

BAT is so popular at this point I'm sure they just reject piles of applicants for any reason that jumps out at them. My dad's submitted a few really decent Volvo 240 wagons but they had high miles. They wouldn't list any of them.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's my birthday!

Hey we're birthday twins! What are the odds? (1 in 365 apparently). How have we both been here this long and not noticed this? Or maybe we have and I just forgot.

One of my problems with gifts is that I'm picky and easily disappointed, and I fully recognize this. I usually just ask for restaurant gift cards because I do love eating out and you can't gently caress it up.

My ex wife was terrible with gifts, but that's because she's a narcissist and didn't really give a poo poo. She only got me gifts because if she didn't she'd look bad. So she'd get me something like a super low quality version of a tool I already had and when I was disappointed I was the rear end in a top hat. Took me way too long to figure that out.

I'm taking next week off and hanging with a buddy who also has been isolated and is not infected with corona. We're going to binge watch nerdy stuff, cook a lot and drink a lot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this forum who thinks asphalt makes the best lawn.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Jesus christ pets are awesome until you do something stupid like leave the house with the windows open and they bark for a god drat half an hour at 11 pm on a sunday night. gently caress my loving new neighbors right in the rear end.

This dog will not shut the gently caress up. What the gently caress are you barking at? There's nothing happening except my hatred for you. I'm trying to decide if I have the will to molotov cocktail the 2nd story room you're barking from right now. Seriously shut up.

I guess I have to do something with sound because sleeping through this is not going to happen.

edit: One hour. That little rat loving dog yipped out the window for one full hour. Is there any value in being a good neighbor and having a polite conversation tomorrow? Or should I be like every other rear end in a top hat and leave a horrible passive aggressive note on their door or something?

Oh god it started again. It was quiet for three minutes while I typed this. God dammit.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 25, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Printers:

I bought this cheap canon color laser last year because I almost never print but my daughter had a lot of final research papers to do. So far it works fantastic, fires right up, prints on long envelopes, and even prints photos in ok quality. Reliability would be the only unknown but I don't need reliable. And I bought a cheap cover to keep dust out of it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

And for anyone wondering, Dance with the Dead is a lot harder than that now. Very metal while still being sort of an 80's throwback. This is my fav track from their last album. Gunship also rules, this forum turned me on to them a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn8CxizsFVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cybernetic Crumb

Krakkles posted:

Iíve always had a ďtax/eat the richĒ viewpoint, but for these folks, Iíll make an exception.

The down to earth celebs seem to be the ones that really recognize that all their money came in $20 increments from individual people. They don't think "I MADE THIS BY THE SWEAT OF MY GALTIAN BROW". Some do, but the good ones don't.

Hehe I forgot Bobby Brown said exactly that right in the middle of My Prerogative.

And yeah, as usual the Onion is on point:

https://www.theonion.com/protestors...t-fo-1843735351

Only registered members can see post attachments!