Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't talk about broken Outbacks goddamnit.

*cries in leaking AC compressor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, you're not supposed to see oil and refrigerant bubbling out of the back of a compressor, are you?

(better than an engine, though :smith:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 1, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The end of April is off to an AMAZING start.

Glad I nabbed a separate storage room awhile back. Moved a bunch of poo poo into it with Brokeback today from old place. My knees are loving dead. The family of 50 hogging all 8 dollies at the storage place to load a single truck in a place with over 500 storage units (provided by the facility, limit 1 per storage unit at a time) to load up a single truck deserve to be dead. :fuckoff: Brokeback holds a shocking amount of furniture though. Got a 1950s mid-century dresser in the drat thing with plenty of room to spare!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 1, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Just whack some RTV on there. It'll be fine. Or JB Weld if that doesn't work. Guaranteed!

Less than 24 hours later and it's already short cycling again. :suicide:

It's still blowing cold though, I'm hoping it's more because it's like 60 outside and the resulting pressure difference is hitting the low pressure cutout. We'll see once it warms up a bit. But I thought I could smell refrigerant when I parked it yesterday...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They let the spraytan fanatic put his name on these checks? :sigh: At least it's not in sharpie...

I kind of want to shred it just because of that. But I'm not throwing away $1200.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh.... I think I broke my ex. Not in a good way.

She's likely quitting her job of 18 years and moving in with her mom.. 600 miles away. Unless she can find a roommate really soon. She's citing "it's too expensive to live alone here", along with depression and her mother's health issues.

The depression, I definitely get. I've been there, breakups really suck when you're the one getting dumped (and they often suck for the person dumping you - this was not easy for me, despite how unhappy I've been - I've known her a long time and really do care about her, but I need vitamin D instead of vitamin V), and she's taken it a lot worse than I did. I also get her mom's health - her mom's an octogenarian with several issues. But she's been in this city for 15 years. She claims to have no friends outside of coworkers (when she moved here, she was already working for the same company). She's throwing away a career, even if it's a retail career, with excellent benefits. She's been telling me she makes more than me even after I got my last raise, but then told me she actually makes a little less than me after the breakup. Still, paid off Toyota she bought new that has <100k, zero debt at all, so frugal that she can make a penny scream for mercy (as long as it doesn't involve the AC thermostat, she likes it COLD). She left her tax return sitting on the printer... we really do make about the same (~$35k/yr - you can live on that here, alone, if you're frugal). I'm moving into a house (not on my own, but it's still a house vs an apartment), with crushing student loan debt and some IRS debt on top of that (though I'm throwing most of my Trumpbux at the IRS debt to make it go away).

Her mother is pushing her to move back, more because of the depression. I don't want to be the reason she throws away an 18 year career (and she's grandfathered into a bunch of benefits that she'll lose if she quits and gets re-hired). Her cats will probably wind up going to her ex before me, who lives about 20 minutes away. All of the furniture she has now? Who knows - it might get put into storage, she might try to have me sell it for her, she might try to drag it all back. We'll see. She literally has a whole house of furniture that her mother has been keeping in storage for her, plus an apartment full of furniture here. All I have is a few tables and an ottoman.

I feel like poo poo over her breaking down. And worst part is, it took her over a month to finally realize that yes, this is real, we're not getting back together, and I'm not getting another place with her. :smith: We're down to 2 weeks left on our lease, the time to act on finding a place that's not a complete shithole came and went awhile ago.

Or she might find a place and/or roommate. That's the best outcome for both of us. The property management company we rent from now owns several sliding-scale properties where they base your rent on how much you make, and this company has been the best I've ever dealt with as a tenant. At least that way she'll still have a job, and not wind up starting her life completely over. The only thing I'm sure of is I am NOT going to split an apartment with her. It's going to be too awkward when I start dating again. She and I have already agreed that it'll be really hard for her to deal with if I bring a guy over.

:sigh:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd love to hear how it sounds hooked up to a good CD player

Apparently my dumpster-find (well, next to a dumpster) Sharp DX-670 is supposed to be a pretty decent CD player if you want "true" music? No real processing aside from a D2A converter. It can be bitchy sometimes if it's been sitting a bit, it needs a good smack to read a CD (I suspect the belts are dried out, or maybe it just needs a little lube :quagmire:). But it's over 30 years old. It's running through a low end Onkyo receiver through 20 year old Infinity bookshelf speakers. And I'm half deaf at this point anyway.

Pham Nuwen posted:

cancer from high-tension power lines

One apartment complex I lived in had high tension lines running across it. When I made the switch to CFL bulbs, none of the bulbs would ever go completely off, they would always glow a bit. When manglement swapped out the 60s incandescent kitchen light for a T12 fixture, that did the same.

It was kinda neat sitting out on the patio on a humid night and hearing the crackling of the lines. They really made a lot more racket after a recent rain. These were definitely high tension lines and ran across the parking lot (and over a couple of buildings); one of our power line guys can chime in I'm sure. They did seem to feed the substation next to the apartment complex, so I'm assuming at least 100kV.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 4, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:sever: happened a couple of months ago. But I still care enough about her that I don't want to see her do something stupid. We've known each other for over 25 years, FFS. I don't want to write off a nearly lifelong friendship over a breakup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stevobob posted:

I can tell you wish the best for her, but everyone's poo poo is their own business. If she spirals on downward, best you should do is make sure you're doing well. You have no responsibility for her mental health. I know you know this, but it's helped me to have other people state it.

Clearly you tried to make it work, but you gotta be who you are, and you are doing that. She needs to find stability and that's not your property to survey. Hope you're doing well, STR.

Ultimately, I guess stability may mean moving back in with her mother. She's STILL trying to pretend we can make a 2 bedroom apt work. That's a hell to the loving no. I'm not putting myself through that (I've tried that song and dance before, it doesn't end well), and definitely not putting her through that. It would be nothing but heartache for her anytime I actually wound up dating, and it would just be awkward all the way around. I've tried living with ex's before after a breakup, and out of every ex I've tried to live with after a breakup, I speak to exactly zero of them. It hurts really bad to inflict this kind of pain on someone, I'm usually the one getting dumped, but... damnit.

If the best thing for her mental health means leaving a job of 18 years and moving to the other end of the state, so be it, and I'll support her in that decision. Hell, I'll drive the drat moving truck across the state for her pulling her car behind it (just like I drove a moving truck halfway across the state pulling my car behind it to move in with her), so long as I can find a way back home. I'll load and unload the drat thing myself, so long as her mother isn't waiting with a shotgun. I just want her to at least try to explore other options outside of "gently caress everything, moving back in with mom at 42 and throwing away a nearly 20 year career". She's had a little over 2 months to prepare for the loss of apartment at this point (we're just shy of 2 weeks left), and I've been splitting my time between sleeping on a friend's couch, at our place, and occasionally in my car as it is.

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 4, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 4, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, try and convince her to take her PTO and take a leave of absence so it leaves her options open. She can go stay with her mom - Sounds like a good place for her to be right now and means that it is not your problem and wont become it. If she has that much PTO stored up she might as well use it up and then at the end of it she can either leave or come back to the job

She's one of two people trained in her job at her current store (and one of like 5 or 6 in the entire region), and she gets called in when the other person in her store calls in sick (frequently) (then ripped 50 new assholes for getting 2 minutes of overtime....). Even her boss, and boss's boss, can't perform her job. But this sounds like the best thing mentioned so far.

Sometimes I hate being a caring rear end in a top hat. Okay, most of the time. :smithicide: I really wish my "giving a gently caress" had a solid on/off switch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 4, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I need glasses. Oh dear that was a right ballsup

How many EZ30 valves did you destroy?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It is a Dynamo Pro Style 8 footer and the thing looks basically brand new. Has the cover and mallets and pucks and everything. It has the knockouts for stuff like coin operation and all. It is WILD. I have a freaking air hockey table in my basement.

I would do regertful things to own one of those.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Basements own. I'm not entirely sure why New Mexico doesn't really do them... maybe because we're prone to occasional flash floods? Apparently 20 years ago they had a couple feet water running through the streets down to the river, although we've now got some pretty serious flood control infrastructure in town.

I mean, I know El Paso isn't super close to your part of NM, but the desert gets insane floods. Plus, at least in El Paso, it's all caliche once you get past 6-12 inches into the ground. Videos of the flooding..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRhGSxxqqPk (sidenote, the anchor, long retired now, lives down the street from my dad.. super nice guy, met him a few times over the ages, pops golfs with him sometimes)
This is in front of my grandmother's last apartment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTtmCIa6Gw

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have not had sex on floor

You haven't lived until you've had rug burns on your knees from sex. :colbert:

Also, my knees are calloused to hell thanks to spending most of my working hours on my knees (also lots of sex on the floor, natch). I have drat good kneepads too. Pretty sure my right knee is suffering from "roofer's knee" - it's full of fluid and hurts like loving hell right now. I had made an incident report about the kneepad I was wearing on one knee (company-supplied) shattering when I kneeled a couple of months ago (it hurt like $!@#* when my bare kneecap slammed into the ground instead of with knee protection, one of the straps snapped just before hitting the ground). I may wind up seeing if the company will pay for a bit of rehab; I have a high pain tolerance, but it's throbbing.

Darchangel posted:

In Texas, at least North Texas and South Texas, where I have lived, basements on residences are pretty much non-existent. Large buildings have them, but not houses. Only the (very) occasional root/storm cellar, and that's usually only *mostly* underground - usually it's an artificial hillock.
Which is why jonathan's post confused me for a minute. Grand Prairie, TX is a suburb of Dallas.

Dallas and Ft Worth will always disagree about which gets to claim GP as a suburb. It's half in Dallas county, half in Tarrant.

I say it's a suburb of Ft Worth. :colbert:

Rhyno posted:

The regional existence of basements is usually directly proportional to the amount of tornadoes.

Lotta basements in Indiana.

DFW doesn't do them except in fairly old houses, and DFW is very much in tornado alley (tail end, but they get a lot of them). There's so much loving clay that it costs a loving fortune. Here in Central TX (Austin area), it's more because the ground is full of limestone and caves. Don't wanna be that jackass that just made the whole street collapse while digging a basement.

Also, the water table is pretty high in both areas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 6, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"So if you're really my friend, you'll sign a lease with me on a new place", someone said a few hours ago on their lunch break.

That line right there just ended any hopes of a friendship or any semblance of help aside from me helping load a moving truck after this shitshow. No. Just. loving. NO. :fuckoff: Don't pull that guilt trip poo poo on me. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part. Originally I was 100% on board with even driving a moving truck across the loving state and helping load/unload at both ends, then taking a COVID infested bus or plane to get back home, on my dime.

For any future ex's that wind up reading this, I will go to the ends of the earth to help you, and everyone else in my life, UNTIL you try to guilt trip me like that. The only reason I'll even bother helping to load now is because my name is also on the lease, and she got hammered by holdover fees in her last apt (same property) when she didn't finish moving out for several days after the lease was up. They still gave her 2 days free, but it wound up being several hundred dollars for the 2 or 3 days they charged her. Pretty sure the only reason she didn't get nailed harder is she lived next door to the asst property manager at the time, who got to watch her shoving everything she owned into the breezeway (yes, I tried to come down to help, I got turned away).

I really did stick my dick in crazy.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 6, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

More of a "if you're really my friend, you'll move in with me into a bigger apartment".

Just. NO. Not only will that break her heart anytime I'm with ANY guy around her (friends or otherwise), it'll be awkward as gently caress bringing someone home. And I've had a new place lined up for months anyway.

I'm already packed for a few days at another place. Just trying to finish lunch before I leave.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 6, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

My wife (and in laws) have a story of a burst pipe. They went to Disney for a couple weeks in the winter when she was a kid and had a relative watching their house. They had a very nice house at the time and said relative took it upon herself to show her friends around the house to show it off. Well, jackass relative left an outside door open. By accident for sure, but still. And it was -30 snap. It was open for at least 2 days. The furnace was able to keep a lot of the house from freezing solid, BUT the door they left open was near an ensuite and the water line to a basin or toilet froze and broke wide open. Spilling open line in their upstairs ensuite for 2-3 days.

So my stepmother's family has a vacation house near Ruidoso NM. We went to use it one time when I was visiting my dad and stepmom.

We get there.. keep in mind it's dumping snow at the time. And in much of Texas and New Mexico, an iron-bar "screen door" with a deadbolt is kind of the norm, especially in a high crime area or at a rarely used property. Well, that was the case here. That was closed and locked (but offered no protection from the elements). The inside door was wide loving open. And of course, dad being dad, he forgot his key. Luckily there was a hidden spare, but it took a bit of driving to find a cell phone signal so he could call stepmom's cousin to find out if there WAS a spare key hidden anywhere, or if we were driving another 5 hours back to get the key, then 5 hours back.

That furnace was a trooper. It had to have been running for at least a few weeks, if not a month or two (it was set at 50 since the house was rarely used, but it was about 15 outside when we got there). No broken pipes or anything, but a hell of a lot of creaking once the door was finally closed and it finally got a chance to shut off. They're lucky as hell that they were close enough to town to actually have gas service - much of that area relies on LP tanks. Hell, even the suburb I live in now (which is swallowed up by Austin metro expanding), LP tanks are a common sight (a gas station down the road that opened a year ago has a huge one, assuming it's to power their deli cooking stuff and their furnaces... same with several nearby restaurants, all on major roads). I don't remember what the gas bill was (this was like 15 years ago), but pops did hear about there being a comma.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm now at the point where I can reassemble a EJ30 timing 15 minutes - A skill I did not wish to have 2 months ago. I know every bolt's torque spec off the top of my head. The inlet will take me under 5 minutes to reassemble. I am not pleased I know how to do this. It is much like the former skills in carby rebuilds I had years ago - a skill hard won but I did NOT like having.

*laughs in Subaru*

You've had too much good luck with them. It was time for one to bite you, and this one bit you hard enough to give PTSD. When you're done playing with this, wanna help me replace the tailshaft seal on my 4EAT? It's pissing nearly a litre every week at this point (.... need a rear driveshaft too, but despite spending 8 years in the frozen wastelands some people call "Canada", it doesn't have any real rust)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean you helped me clean out my Dad's house and you didn't even know me. :kimchi:

We were never (publicly) loving though. :ssh:

(and I still say I really didn't do much except drink your beer and eat food... aside from helping move that loving safe)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 7, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post. Stayed in a really weird hotel yesterday. Obviously intended to be an extended stay, but it's really in the wrong area for such a thing (no nearby bus service, on the edge of town, etc). They showed up as being only $2/night more than Motel 6, and a lot closer, so I went there.

Didn't expect an actual suite. Microwave (if you can call it that.. I put a personal frozen pizza in there for 8 minutes and the dough was still raw, cheese barely melted, cooking instructions said 3 1/2 minutes), half-width fridge (but still a top/bottom fridge), king size bed, recliner, desk, ethernet jacks in the room, plus wifi, range top, toaster, sink with an actual garbage disposal, ceiling fans... and the TV only got like 5 channels (all OTA.. it tried to get all of the local ones, but most came in pixelated to hell if at all... they advertise cable, but I'm guessing they're trying to cut expenses - 5 cars in the parking lot).

They left a stuffed animal on the bed, with a weird note:

I tucked the bear into bed before leaving. Maybe it'll get a chuckle out of the staff.

I wound up finishing the pizza off on the range. Not exactly ideal, but the dough was straight up raw after so long in the microwave that the cooking platform that the box came with was smoldering.

You know it's a quality place when they list men's clubs in the "handbook" they leave in the room. :v: They also left the typical Gideon's Bible, along with a couple of books about Hinduism, which was different but interesting. Usually in an extended-stay you at least get a pot and pan, and maybe a plate/bowl/fork/spoon. Not here, but they had them for sale at the front desk. :haw:

.... and I just realized, pretty sure I left my glasses there. :doh: (I have prescription sunglasses, wore those when I left)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

Also traded in the '13 Land Cruiser to the dealer too.

So what you're saying is you need a new avatar. OR Can I ask you about your LAND CRUISER?

(yeah I know, someone removed the red text ages ago) :v:

I'd never even heard of the Tremor before.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of Subarus... *WHISTLES* HEY CT WHERE YA AT?

We have two broken, barely running Subarus, and 3 bicycles, just in this one photo. There's actually 6 bicycles in the garage, but who's counting?

The WRX is on the original timing belt (2003 with 173k miles) and "shifting" is more of a "can you find a gear?" exercise (I'm the only person that can reliably find gears aside from roommate, according to him). The Outback... well... we all know how you feel about Outbacks at this point. It runs fine, it just pisses ATF everywhere.

The check engine light on the WRX has been on for years - it was on when I started it, then went off as I was pulling it into the garage (now-roommate is out of town, can't get in the driveway without blocking the sidewalk without at least pulling his car up against the door.. figured I'd pull it in since the head unit alone is worth more than the car). :stare: I don't have my OBD2 adapter, otherwise I'd see if it just got reset, since it's been sitting for a couple of weeks. He's been riding dirty on out of state plates for ages. Shut it off and restarted a couple of times, light definitely works, turns off as soon as it fires. Took it for a quick trip around the block. Light didn't come back on, but it's almost as slow as the Brokeback. That turbo ain't doin poo poo, and the cloud of smoke pouring out the exhaust doesn't suggest what's left of the turbo is happy. I really didn't want to flog it since it's on the original timing belt, but I did wind it up a bit, and... it's like driving a 5 speed version of the Outback. It's a dog. The turbo is not turboing. Butt dyno says 16 second car. This car has a "stage whatever" tune with injectors, intercooler, turbo, Accessport, etc, but even a bone stock base model Impreza should feel fast as hell compared to the nearly 2 ton EJ251 Outback.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 8, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh, he loaned me the Accessport to pull codes on my Brokeback.. before I knew they were tied to a VIN. It's sitting at my old place right now... :sigh: Not that it would have ever worked with my ECU anyway. It's an early Accessport that only works with turbo EJs, mine is very much non-turbo (well, his is too at this point, judging by how it drives, but at some point it did have a turbo....)

I was more hoping to just check readiness monitors anyway. If they were actually showing ready, I was going to haul rear end and try to find a place that could smog it (difficult right now), just so he can finally get the drat thing registered here. I'm sure an Accessport can do that, but I have no idea how. I know how to do it with Torque and a generic dongle.

At last check, it was throwing over 25 codes (which was the point where my cheap OBD2 dongle threw up its hands and said IT'S FUKT MATE, IT'S REALLY TOTALLY FUKT). I have no loving idea how it was still running. It belches smoke and reeks of gas, and it's not boosting at all, but it does run. With that many codes I figured it was a bad ground (a bad ground in a Subaru? WHY I NEVER)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spectrum let me actually order new service with no deposit, despite it taking me 4 years to pay off one bill with them. Paid it last week. Though my credit score is steadily increasing (the GOTTA PUT MY SHARPIE SIGNATURE ON IT bux let me pay my phone for 3 months + pay off my CCs, the CC payoff gave me a decent credit score bump). Spectrum was the last non-medical collection I had. Yes, I have a low credit limit. Paying down the cards put me at 5% credit usage (just some auto renew stuff on there right now), which seems ot matter more than the fact I only have $1500 worth of credit cards.

.... they're only doing self-install right now. Period, full stop, no help if there's issues with the self install. I already know either the drop to the house needs replacing or the powered splitter outside is hosed - when roommate had them before, it was down more than up. That could have been the run to the wall jack he was using, but looking at the wiring outside, it's pole drop to powered splitter/2 port amp (split with duplex neighbor) directly to one wall jack, said wall jack is run along the outside of the house. I'll have to go double check. I know Spectrum's customer service is a pain in the rear end, but the only other option is 100mbit AT&T with a 2 year contract for way more (and since it's over 45 year old copper, I don't see how in the hell it'd hit those speeds). This is 200/10, available speeds up to 945mbit down/30 up. The house is wrapped in coax along the outside (it's probably structural to be honest), most not hooked up at this point.

I suspect I'm gonna wind up running my own drop from the demarc. At least the demarc isn't far from of my bedroom window (or I could just tape new coax to the old poo poo and yank it through the existing through-hole). The one existing wired connection goes to the living room, but since I'm the one paying for the internet, and I have a desktop, I was planning to put the modem and router in there. Less cable length from the demarc that way anyway, and my bedroom is right in the middle of the house.. so should be the ideal placement for wifi (not a big place, maybe 1000 sq ft? 2 bed/1 bath/1 car garage duplex from the 70s)

Nice thing is.. at least for me, it scares roomie a bit... I cook a lot. Gas stove and oven. It's in decent shape, can't find any real issues with it aside from being dirty. All burners work, oven works. I MUCH prefer gas over electric. It's a basic as hell Hotpoint, it has a digital timer at least. Need to get a CO detector though (I thought city code required them in rental houses with gas appliances, maybe this place is grandfathered?)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 10, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've now lost 1 friend and 1 cousin to covid. Found out about the cousin late last night/early this morning during my lunch break.

I'm lucky in that the county I lived in has under 400 confirmed cases, but I just moved to one with ~2200 cases. My workplace is in the former, at least, and I'm not really exposed to customers, but we've had at least one confirmed positive case in my store now.

Wouldn't be lying if I said I was thinking of pulling the high risk card, particularly now that our governor overrode all city/county mandates (including face coverings) - I know we're gonna see a big spike in cases over the next 1-2 weeks now that Texas is "open for business". I certainly can pull the high risk card (esp since I already have one accommodation on file, and HR is aware that I have medical issues that make me more susceptible), but I won't get paid if I do.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 11, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hey Applebees App...

You know what needs to be done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

he uh realizes that they were made in Aichi right

I stole the pic from reddit, and it wasn't the owner that posted the pic. I have no idea if the owner knows or not. And I kinda doubt he's going for authenticity anyway.

If we're gonna get pedantic about it, only the country of origin and the frequency is wrong. I think half of Japan uses either 100V or 110V at their sockets (100 would be just barely outside of the tolerance for something meant for 110V), but at 50 hZ in some parts, 60 in others? Nearly identical 2 prong plug that we use here, so that cord/plug would be proper.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 12, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

STR, I'm sorry to hear about your friend and your cousin, I hope you're doing alright.

Hanging in there. Pissed as hell at one of the overnight leads, he implied my boss was very unhappy about me leaving mid-shift when I found out. I ripped into the lead and told him I found out about a death of a family member and to stop being a dick, he knew drat well why I left early. This is the same lead who opened his mouth about why I was out for a week (and I've had several people confirm he's the one who opened his mouth about it). The only reason he knew is he sometimes doubles as the manager in charge; he answered the phone one night when I called in while under quarantine, and asked why (which he's not supposed to do - I told him I was under doctor-mandated quarantine and that's all he needed to know).

Turns out boss was surprised I came in. We get an automatic paid day off anytime a distant family member dies (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc), 2 days paid for close family (parents, children, siblings) - doesn't hit your vacation, sick pay, etc, doesn't matter how long you've been with the company. HR is gonna love me - I'd forgotten about that policy, boss reminded me of it. Hopefully I can just get them to round my check up to 40 hours instead, since between leaving early, and the small trucks lately, I'm gonna be lucky to clear 32 hours this week, and I'm off all of next week (luckily my orangeface check, and my last paycheck, went to paying my credit cards off and paying off 2 old utility collections, so I can just use CCs for a bit after I come back and still have enough breathing room to pay rent). No idea what kind of proof they'll want, but I'm throwing his rear end under the bus for being unprofessional as hell about that and for opening his mouth. I got a serious rear end chewing over people in the store knowing why I was out. Multiple people told me he was the one who opened his mouth.

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

A lot more now. My commute was 1.8 miles each way, it's now 10.5 miles. Gotta love being an essential worker!

I was down to filling up once a month (and that's just because I don't like getting below half a tank)... looks like it's gonna be twice a month now, and that's if I let it get a bit lower than I prefer to. That's just for work.

I did drive downtown a couple of weeks ago just to see how Dirty Sixth looked (6th Street is the party district in Austin). Everything is boarded up, homeless everywhere, most ATMs smashed (only one had the actual vault opened). Gone to a couple of trails. Now that I'm actively moving stuff, I have about a 12 mile trip each way if I'm going to the new place, or about 5 miles if I'm just going to my storage unit. There's plenty of trips between the old (shared) storage unit and new (me only) storage unit that wind up being about 3 miles each way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 13, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Found out through work that we're going be essentially meatless, at least raw meats, within 2 weeks. Likely sooner. Frozen meats not too far behind, deli will probably be the last.

Guess I'm gonna go stock up on chicken breasts and ground beef tomorrow.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

2nd childe should be arriving either this week or next

You haven't figured out what causes them yet?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Its another when Meal Team 6's supply of chicken tenders and double cheeseburgers is threatened.

I mean... I went to Wendy's the other day, and they were out of beef.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Very interested to see how meat unavailability shakes out.

I've gone vegetarian before, I just don't have many good vegetarian recipes outside of a lot of bean recipes. I was relying on the vegan cafeteria at my university, and the multitude of vegetarian restaurants around campus.

You.. don't want to be around me after I devour 5 bowls of the amazing beans I've been making with one of those recipes for several years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Traffic was heavy as hell when I left work a little while ago.. and I left an hour early (super small truck.. most of us were gone by 4:30, I stuck around doing go-backs until 5:30 since I'm already only scheduled 36 this week). Surprised the hell out of me.

Ex has been looking at apartments. She's found a couple of nice ones, but apparently has no clue what parts of town are bad. She knows parts of East Austin are to be avoided at all cost, but thought North Austin was generally safe. She's lived in Austin for 15 years, you'd think she'd know what areas to avoid. :downs:

She sent me a link asking what I thought about one she found.. Austinites all know that Rundberg in general, and much of N Lamar, are to be avoided unless you have no other choice. This one sat at the intersection of both. My answer was "how often do you want to get mugged?". She's found a couple of others that look decent, and I've delivered to all of them when I still did delivery full time... the neighborhoods around them are questionable at best in every case, but some of the actual properties are actually nice and well-kept.

She did find one really nice place with a suspiciously low price. Looked it up, and it's 30 minutes out of town (little town called Lago Vista). Also, it's low income with sliding scale rent (her income is low enough that she'd get discounted rent, but not quite the lowest advertised price). If they don't have a waitlist and she doesn't mind the half hour drive every day, it sounds like a winner. Just opened, energy efficient as hell (all LED, 17 SEER AC, etc) and it's in BFE. Generally low income places tend to be near bus lines and major roads, this is neither. You HAVE to have a car if you're gonna live in that general area. If Brokeback was more reliable, I'd be considering it myself. It's absolutely beautiful out there. I suspect it was built as "low income" so the owners could get a big tax credit for the first 5-10 years, it's not your typical low income property.

BuckyDoneGun, sorry to hear about your friend. :glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Found out mom's possibly been exposed by a coworker. Her coworker went to the ER from work today.. admitted and assumed to be positive, but they're waiting on test results. She'd still been coming to work with a fever, but didn't tell anybody until the cough came out to party, along with sudden severe weakness. :fuckoff: She took the expensive bus to the ER.

Mom is 72. Her coworker is 75. Both have a laundry list of conditions that basically means a positive COVID test is.... bad.

I just bought my first pack of cigarettes in over a decade, took away my car ashtray's virginity (oh god I just took $20 off of the value of a car worth $500), and I'm probably gonna be halfway through the pack before I go to bed. Apparently you can't buy cloves at the corner store these days either. :downs: Had to settle for Camels. They didn't even have Kamel Reds, which is what I used to smoke when I couldn't get cloves.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 15, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So sorry about your mom STR I hope she pulls through it ok man.

She's considered exposed pending results of her coworker's COVID test, but has no symptoms at the moment. Her coworker is already in the ICU though, and a flu test already came back negative. Xray showed fluid in the lungs. :ohdear:

Her boss is pissed that my mom won't come back to work. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Clove cigarettes are just as bad for you as normal tobacco smokes, and actually worse for you than many traditional lights.

Honest question: What's the appeal to them over regular rockets? The smell?

I like the taste, and they don't smell as bad. :shrug: And I don't have to smoke an entire one to get my fix.... vs 2 or 3 in a row.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i just go to the hookah shop to buy clove cigarettes, i didnt know they were banned elsewhere

They have to be sold as "cigars" now. But yeah I'll probably hit up a head shop to get them.

Rhyno posted:

The girl who's been cutting my hair went back to work on monday. I got in there on tuesday and they were basically wrapped up like a surgeon so I felt at ease.

I've had one haircut this year, and it's almost shoulder-length again. gently caress it, just gonna let it keep going until the end of this here pandemic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

I really miss Ilkhan with his hot takes on politics these days, whatever happened to that brain genius?

Got derailed by the one-word tweet from Obama.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So Geico had announced a "15% giveback" on policy renewals.

I just got my renewal, and at the top it says the 15% giveback has already been applied. So why the gently caress did my policy go up by $140 a year? :fuckoff: Credit score has gone up by 70 points, and I haven't told them about the move yet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom's coworker and mom both tested positive. Still asymptomatic for mom, her coworker is already on a ventilator.

If y'all need me, I'll be in the darkest corner you can't find for awhile.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh. No wonder my garage remote won't work.

Brokeback turned my parking space at work into a superfund site.

That's ATF. It usually leaves a little bit when I park, but not that much! Looked under it, didn't see it dripping.. started it up, it started dripping pretty steadily... from the drat filter. :sigh: Wonder if I double-gasketed it and it just took a long time to start leaking, or if the filter itself has failed?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

I always smoked cloves like cigars, since the clove oil in the smoke was what I wanted anyway.

Take care, STR, and best wishes for you mom.

Best friend is diagnosed with the 'rona now too. Hopefully young enough that it doesn't get too bad, but gently caress all these idiots because she's been taking proper precautions and hasn't been out of the house except to hit the grocery store in months.

Thankfully she's in good health for her age, aside from being overweight. Her coworker that's already in the ICU has cancer, diabetes, and a whole host of other problems, so her coworker's prognosis is "6 feet under - not a matter of if, but when". Her boss is still pissed that she won't come back, when my mom's doctor told her to immediately self-quarantine. She's holed up in the spare bedroom at her house for now, while stepdad (who works for a well known drug store) is going off about it being a liberal hoax and still going to work. :fuckoff: (he's much higher risk, being obese and diabetic with wildly uncontrolled high blood pressure)

I'm still in the process of getting the last of my stuff out of my old apartment. It backs up to a nice greenbelt, I wound up taking a long walk out there yesterday after my post (oddly there's barbed wire just beyond the fence, but it's low enough that you just step over it, and there's plenty of well-worn paths). Didn't have my phone on me so no photos, but it's really pretty with lots of wildflowers. Helped improve my mood a bit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 17, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know how old GTA V is now, but it's free from Epic Games right now.

Downside: 94 GB download. :stare: I was about to retire my oldest drive (11 years power-on time, 500GB, nothing really on it anymore), guess it's gonna get abused a bit by the current Epic sale.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I loving hate to ask this, but any Austin area goons available to lend a little muscle Thurs and Fri?

Ex thought she had several people from work lined up, and uh, they all decided "nope" at the last minute. My roommate is out of town (not that a 6' tall twig that weighs 155 could really move this dresser anyway...). I just need to move a couch, dresser, and TV stand. Loading up at my old place, dropping most of the stuff off at ex's new place (a mile away - both 2nd floor apartments), the heaviest thing (a 1950s MCM dresser) is coming from the old 2nd floor apt and going into a single-story house about 10 miles away (off of Braker). We have a box truck lined up.

Should probably be two hours at each end - loading truck on Thurs afternoon, unloading Friday sometime. I'll buy food and/or booze. Full disclosure, the dresser will be an absolute bitch (without drawers it's still over 200 lbs, though if we can at least get it onto my dolly at the other end, I should be able to get it). Everything outside of the dresser is fairly light, just too bulky for one person.

The bulk of this is off of 183 near the mall, dresser going to Mopac and Braker. I'm driving the truck. I just need someone to lift. :smith: Worst case, I have the truck until Saturday morning, but I absolutely have to turn in the truck that morning.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 20, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So we get twice-yearly raises where I work. One is review/performance-based, one is mostly automatic (your manager can kick it up a bit if they want to, but it's normally 5%, while the review-based ones are anywhere from 3-10%).

They just extended the extra $2/hr we've been getting for another month, we're apparently getting a double raise in late June (forgoing our regular 3rd quarter raise for it), and our employee discount is jumping from 10% to 25% until the 4th of July.

This means right when I hit my 1 year mark, I'll be sitting on 6 raises (I got one when I got moved to FT, outside of the normal cycle). :stare: I already make a pretty healthy amount for basically spending all night on my knees throwing poo poo on shelves. And most of what I buy, including poo poo like light bulbs, is store-brand, so it's mostly available under the store discount (it only covers private-label).

EVERYBODY has bailed on me on helping move, including new roommate (he said he'd help unload my dresser, that's it, and I've known this fucker for 20 years). New roommate situation definitely turned into very temporary over that (a few months at most). The double raise (if it's at the normal 5% x 2) will put me right at 18/hr (I started at 15), plus the extra 2/hr I'm getting right now, and I have some drat good benefits. The extra money will definitely help with the movers I'm gonna wind up hiring, though if I could have moved in 2 weeks I would have been able to take a paid week off instead of unpaid. :sigh: And it means I'll be able to actually get a nice place alone instead of a roommate situation or a shithole apartment.

In COVID news, mom is doing well and so far is just staying home and just feeling lovely, her coworker is not doing well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been in grocery off and on for 6 years. My base pay right now is 16 and change, but the "hero pay" has been adding 2/hr for a bit now. IF I get the double raise (like it sounds like it might be), then yeah, my base will be around 18. Plus however long they keep extending the extra $2/hr. The company has very deep pockets, they don't mind staying in the red for a bit if it means keeping stores running.

I'm not gonna get rich, but since rear end in a top hat Manager got moved out of the store, I've had one automatic raise (which was the standard 5%), plus a raise when I got moved to full time. And I do plan to move up - the problem is, moving up outside of overnights will cost me the overnight premium (a little under $2/hr). Trying to get my pay up high enough to where that won't matter before I go for a daytime position. But most of our overnight stockers are guys in their 40s and 50s - that's usually a position dominated by teens and 20-somethings anywhere else. I'm in my early 40s, and I'm one of the young'ins (we have one guy that's 30...)

This location has only been open 8 years, and we have several overnighters who are already maxed out @ $23/hr + 4 weeks of vacation a year. I should get one week this year, 2 weeks per year for the next couple, etc. And they still have separate sick pay instead of just one paid time off pool.

The company has a serious cult-like following among customers. And my benefits are dirt cheap. They match my 401k up to the typical 2.5%, but for every $1 I put in, they put in $1.60. My medical is $20/week for a good PPO. STD, LTD, life insurance @ 2x your yearly wages, and AD&D @ 2x are free (you can opt out if you want, but why would you? you can also opt into much higher coverage). They also have their own credit union, plus two "lodges" in BFE that anybody with 1 year of service can use for free ($50 deposit; most of them have AC, they're basically furnished 1930s-1950s houses in a compound around lakes, bring your bed and bath linens, cookware, boat, and fishing pole)

https://www.kut.org/post/why-texans-love-h-e-b-so-much
https://www.eater.com/2018/12/11/18133776/heb-texas-origin-cult-following
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/

Also I can honestly say I work for a bunch of Butts without getting in trouble. :haw:

Ideally I'd like to move to their tech center, but that requires getting caught up on my networking and programming skills (Netware 2.12 and Turbo Pascal 6.0 are still valid, right? also OS/2?). They have two, one is local. There's a very strong promote from within culture, it's very rare to get hired from outside without connections. I got lucky there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 21, 2020