Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i hope i don't get it. the roni, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Going to play Deus Ex again

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

Tricky, will testing pickup when the reality sinks into the most murcin brain? Or will numbers be even further surpressed due to the impending election??

Lol, 110,000.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

spaceblancmange posted:

Going to play Deus Ex again

great idea i cosign this one

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

They'll stop counting before it reaches 100,000

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It's gonna be may (that we catch the roni)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Finicums Wake posted:

i hope i don't get it. the roni, that is

I think the better bet at this point is to hope you get the asymptomatic version because...... We're all going to get it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its not yet may tho

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

babypolis posted:

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

like as far as im concerned keep the quarantie going on forever because im still getting paid and working 2 hours instead of 8 with no commute and high as gently caress all day long but i know a lot of people are suffering economically and it will only get worse so maybe theres some truth to the idea of the cure being worse than the disease. i dunno im just asking q pls dont dogpile me

Many more are dying there than in the neighboring countries, but you are repeating a rightwing talking point which is based on a fallacy, which is that one must choose either between saving the economy or opening up society. The reality is much more nuanced.

First of all, Sweden's economy, like the rest of Europe and the world, is hosed. The IMF projects that Sweden will lose 6.8% of their GDP, which is admittedly not as high as the biggest losers in Europe (Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands), where losses will be closer to 8 or 9 percent, but it's still higher than the EU average of 6.4%. Having "no lock down" hasn't saved their economy.

Second, saying they have no lockdown is not correct. The different countries have had different approaches to lockdown and have enacted different measures, and they all exist on a number of spectrums. Sweden took different measures than most places, most notably leaving restaurants and shops open. However, other countries also left shops open. However, they did ban events, and also, very importantly, locked down their nursing homes early on to defend the elderly. There are still a lot more deaths than everywhere nearby though. But also much less than places like Belgium, which did a pretty heavy lockdown.

Anyway, the choice of murdering your economy or murdering your people is a false dichotomy. Even in Sweden a lot of people have changed their habits and are hiding inside and shopping less and avoiding restaurants. Young people still go to bars, sure, but it's not the same society it was 3 months ago. It didn't save their economy. This poo poo is not an on/off switch, there is nuance to every situation. By repeating these oversimplified talking points you are reinforcing the idiotic chud narrative.

twoday has issued a correction as of 01:41 on May 1, 2020

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

may the flu be with u

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

empty whippet box posted:

oooo watcha saaaay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BONGHITZ posted:

its not yet may tho

maybe not for you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Happy loyalty day to all those frontline waiters and waitresses at applebees.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

twoday posted:

Anyway, the choice of murdering your economy or murdering your people is a false dichotomy. Even in Sweden a lot of people have changed their habits and are hiding inside and shopping less. Young people still go to bars, sure, but it's not the same society it was 3 months ago. It didn't save their economy. This poo poo is not an on/off switch, there is nuance to every situation. By repeating these oversimplified talking points you are reinforcing the idiotic chud narrative.

lol it's not just a chud thing, white liberals are enamored with sweden's ethnic cleansing policy too

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

lol it's not just a chud thing, white liberals are enamored with sweden's ethnic cleansing policy too

liberals are also chuds

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
e: wrong thread

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

awooouuu (covid howl)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MadJackal posted:

Day…

Day…

Day…

35M w/PMH of depression presents w/ a 19 day hx of going through hell. Found to be broken by COVID-19. Hospital course significant for bearing witness to many, many pts intubated and/or expired. Believes he brought comfort / humanity to some of his pts (results pending). Repeat rereading of his own story scared him. He started himself on comfort measures at home but was found to be…

Let's start over.

There once was a guy who lived for a fair amount of time but was still pretty new at it, all things considered. Let's call him Danny; he looks like a Danny.

Like any guy with a couple letters after his name, Danny had a few issues with healthcare, which he fought each morning. And afternoon. And evening. And when he came home. It sounds like he lived a full(ish) life. We only really know that he was a DOCTOR and LIVES AT HOME. At least when he's not spending the majority of his waking hours in a hospital. He wrote a few things in the box that's supposed to summarize Danny's social life. He could have written more about it though, since his friends have kept him going through hell. He had a wife who is his emergency contact but who left him two days short of three months ago. There’s no box to check if they loved one another, but it’s probably a given that this theoretical box used to house a neat little checkmark inside. It used to at least. He didn't have any kids despite really wanting them, which hurt her and was one of the reasons the neat little checkmark went away. It really hurts when he looks at his chart under "Most Favorite Person in the World."

Unlike other physicians, Danny never got used to people being sick, despite his whole working-at-a-hospital thing. He saw sick people sometimes, sure (that was the price of being a doctor) but as far back as 20 days ago he never saw anything like this.

Twenty days ago he came to the hospital because he was scheduled to be the senior resident. He wasn't really sure he could do a good job at it, and the whole COVID plague really scared him. He got a whole room to himself to write his worries out and the history of each day. He barricaded himself in that room for hours and hours (when he wasn't responding to Rapids or Code Blues or talking to sick patients) because COVID took over his hospital. He prescribed the drugs he was told to by his bosses and listened to the President proclaim everything would be ok. He sure loathed seeing that orange loving prick on TV.

On his third day in the hospital, he tried to do the right thing and limit suffering and protect the people around him. He offered his patient CHOICE and told the truth, even if afterwards it made him think he was a terrible person.

Danny continued to prescribe medications and continued to . Sometimes he'd joke around with the very nice nurses and it helped him breathe better. Danny wasn't sure the medications were doing any good, but he was doing what smarter people well above him recommended. And he wasn't God, you know, despite his Messiah Complex.

One day Danny came home after three weeks of working 7AM-7PM Sunday through Friday. But he took off the last day he was scheduled to be in the clinic because he couldn't take it anymore. He needed a break. And that was ok. Because he did break.

Danny didn't do much of anything in particular. He watched Some Good News with John Krasinski which made him smile, he played Stellaris while listening to Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend which made him guffaw.

Danny finished off the last pieces of donated food to the Heroes of the Hospital he had smuggled home.

He still didn’t think he was a hero, but that's ok too.

Danny hung out with his friends and gave spontaneous piggyback rides and laughed a lot even if he sorta fell straight on his face and got a small laceration to his left eyebrow. Which made him laugh harder. It was his Least Favorite Eyebrow, anyway, so who cares?

Does it even matter?

Danny didn't have to answer anyone's questions and stopped chart stalking the people he was taking care of. Because he finally realized he did his time.

Danny wrote some more one afternoon and it made him happy.

Maybe there's a book I could finish about this disaster so it could make some sort of sense now that it's passed.

For me at least.

MadJackal / Danny
New York
April 13th, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
gently caress man I just had a harrowing thought, what if the fuckin ninja turtles got the virus

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

drat that was 17 days ago

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

gently caress man I just had a harrowing thought, what if the fuckin ninja turtles got the virus

they're turtles they can't get it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

why do you think they don't make the cartoon anymore :iiam:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

empty whippet box posted:

they're turtles they can't get it

you don't know that. they're mutants

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

twoday posted:

liberals are also chuds

fair enough

i like to imagine if it was the PRC government that came out and said its time for the olds to die, the western media would be in an uproar over the barbarism of orientals

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
turtles also can't skateboard checkmate libs

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Ninja Turtles reboot were their origin is in a wet market and covid mutates them instead of *the ooze*

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

why do you think they don't make the cartoon anymore :iiam:

dude and they are like 50 now I’m really worried

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rat mentor?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

krang would totally send beebop and rocksteady to incite riots at lockdown protests

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
really disappointed in the low number predictions you goons are throwing up itt. 60k dead in may, that's it? loving pathetic.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We're at 63k now so my guess is 250k cumulative by 5/31 and a million by July 4

Its gonna double twice a week in open states, so over half their populations infected by memorial day but take a while for deaths to kick in

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Decided to break into my bean horde this evening. Grabbed the Instant Pot (what a loving cheat code) threw black beans and brown rice in with some sautéed onion and garlic. Then added cumin, oregano, salt, and bay leaf. Once good topped with dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado. Goons I tell you beans are good.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

dude and they are like 50 now I’m really worried

yeah and they aren't teenage mutant ninja tortoises either

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

babypolis posted:

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

like as far as im concerned keep the quarantie going on forever because im still getting paid and working 2 hours instead of 8 with no commute and high as gently caress all day long but i know a lot of people are suffering economically and it will only get worse so maybe theres some truth to the idea of the cure being worse than the disease. i dunno im just asking q pls dont dogpile me

sweden is burying most of its numbers (sending the old home with morphine to die uncounted), but their deaths per million counts are still 600% higher than their neighbors in norway and finland

nobody "murdered" any economy. it turns out that businesses suffer during a global pandemic, who knew? sweden's economy is suffering just as badly as the rest of europe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

michelangelo is dead

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

fair enough

i like to imagine if it was the PRC government that came out and said its time for the olds to die, the western media would be in an uproar over the barbarism of orientals

Oh that is there and it is why they hide the millions dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
who radicalized splinter