Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Animal-Mother posted:

Somebody at my work tested positive. Different building, though. But the bosses seem intent on keeping the operation going. :emo:

What state and line of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean since we're all getting it might as well catch it now before the doctors properly understand the long term consequences of getting your lungs purée'd

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Some chud showed up at a polling place in Pittsburgh today and started a fight over being asked to wear a mask. No charges.

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1267877288839983104?s=20

Fuckin unreal

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Google Butt posted:

What state and line of work

California. University dining hall.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Google Butt posted:

Interesting. So if they weren't real kn95s, then they would be less effective than say a double ply cotton mask in that scenario I gave? I understand it's hard to account for everything, especially fitment, just trying to decide which I should be wearing around dumbfucks

fake/bad kn95s would probably still be a bit more effective

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200504-coronavirus-what-is-the-best-kind-of-face-mask puts cotton masks at around 60% filtering

the average knockoff on the europe tool still seems to filter like 70% as per their checks

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some chud showed up at a polling place in Pittsburgh today and started a fight over being asked to wear a mask. No charges.

https://twitter.com/KDKA/status/1267877288839983104?s=20

Fuckin unreal

at this point we're lucky he didn't shoot up the place

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so i suspect an initial lull in new cases, due to everyone fuckin rioting and not getting tested, people not getting tested because of everyone fuckin rioting, and so on. death reporting is gonna be all kinds of hosed. excess mortality calculation in posterity is probably hosed now too because of a brewing civil war.

poo poo's wild.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

theflyingexecutive posted:

it does indeed reduce antithrombin (drastically in some cases), meaning heparin can’t form the complex needed to stop clotting: https://www.facs.org/-/media/files/covid19/umiami_study_uses_of_coagulopathy.ashx

“In addition to increased clotting events, there seems to be an increased incidence of antithrombin-III deficiency leading to an inability to therapeutically anticoagulate with heparin. A number of centers have switched to bivalirudin as their anticoagulant of choice while on these circuits.”

how the gently caress does this thing just evolve to break humans do effectively wtf

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Coronavirus number should go up, probably

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

Somebody at my work tested positive. Different building, though. But the bosses seem intent on keeping the operation going. :emo:

the sooner everyone gets it the sooner the survivors can resume work uninterrupted

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just rename the thread to [Covid-19 Summer] Pestilence is praxis

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m morbidly curious is “already had covid” is now a desirable trait for jobs

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just rename the thread to [Covid-19 Summer] Pestilence is praxis

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it will probably get to this point, yes. no this obviously isn't good, heading off the galaxy brained takes from last time this topic came up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

redleader posted:

how the gently caress does this thing just evolve to break humans do effectively wtf

good ol natural selection. you have a virus that wants to access as many ace2 receptors as possible. getting stuck in a clot impedes that, so trillions and trillions of genetic drifts can produce an optimal protein shape to stop clots and it only takes one successful hit that can replicate and outcompete other strains.

if you want really wild poo poo, dive into bacterial horizontal gene transmission, where bacteria can share this information with others of their species, and other species! and loose dna/rna just floating around from dead bacteria!

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a moron. Wrong thread.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

good ol natural selection. you have a virus that wants to access as many ace2 receptors as possible. getting stuck in a clot impedes that, so trillions and trillions of genetic drifts can produce an optimal protein shape to stop clots and it only takes one successful hit that can replicate and outcompete other strains.

if you want really wild poo poo, dive into bacterial horizontal gene transmission, where bacteria can share this information with others of their species, and other species! and loose dna/rna just floating around from dead bacteria!

human beings are just nature's way of making more coronaviruses

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
My asthma medication has been back ordered at the pharmacy and they are not answering their phones so who knows when it will show up and I called another pharmacy earlier and they said that they are not able to get it for a week lmao I am going to be drinking a lot of coffee

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_o7p9yIRQw

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

My asthma medication has been back ordered at the pharmacy and they are not answering their phones so who knows when it will show up and I called another pharmacy earlier and they said that they are not able to get it for a week lmao I am going to be drinking a lot of coffee

hell yah drink coffee smoke cigs dont use ur inhaler rules r for cops

(this works p good 4 me https://www.ecoparent.ca/eco-wellness/clear-congestion-easy-steam-inhalations bt i dont use essential oils or anything just steam to clear mucus an openerup a bit)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

human beings are just nature's way of making more coronaviruses

your body has ten times as many bacterial cells than human ones, likely 100x viral particles

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unfortunately there are no more jobs

HORSE OF THE YEAR
Jun 7, 2012

We just found out today that an employee at my work has tested positive for covid. I work in a grocery store in AZ (not Kroger, Walmart or Whole Foods) in a well to do suburb of Phoenix. We don’t work in the same department and I haven’t had close contact with them, but gently caress man. It was inevitable, I’d say maybe half of our customers wear masks, and maybe half of the employees wear their masks correctly (like only covering their mouths and not their nose, lowering it to loving talk, etc.) Store management is doing their best to make it seem like not a big deal, but I was talking to the grocery manager earlier and he’s considering bailing for at least five days if just for his own mental health. I’m at work right now, everyone is on edge except management. They’re not requiring anyone quarantine besides other employees who had overlapping shifts with the confirmed case. I knew this would eventually happen, but I don’t know what to do next. how the gently caress are we supposed to go on just like business as usual? Today we are doing major table changes in my department, we’re already understaffed and since we’ve officially reopened in AZ management has been expecting performance to be just as it always was. I’m trying to get everything done but all I can think is “gently caress this, there are more important things going on right now.”

sorry for rambling, I’m just scared of bringing this poo poo home to my wife, scared of maybe already giving it to my family and hers. stay safe goons.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

your body has ten times as many bacterial cells than human ones, likely 100x viral particles

maybe they're in on it :tinfoil:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

maybe they're in on it :tinfoil:

they control way more of your life than most people would be comfortable with

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

they control way more of your life than most people would be comfortable with

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Animal-Mother posted:

California. University dining hall.

Oh poo poo, rip dude

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Fake News, everybody knows Coronavirus is over.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’m trying to take a poop and the turd’s got a serious case of stage fright.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

facetoucher cat posted:

is the coffee for asthma? idk how asthma works

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Good luck breathing in that loving smog ridden pressure cooker of a valley

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

We just found out today that an employee at my work has tested positive for covid. I work in a grocery store in AZ (not Kroger, Walmart or Whole Foods) in a well to do suburb of Phoenix. We don’t work in the same department and I haven’t had close contact with them, but gently caress man. It was inevitable, I’d say maybe half of our customers wear masks, and maybe half of the employees wear their masks correctly (like only covering their mouths and not their nose, lowering it to loving talk, etc.) Store management is doing their best to make it seem like not a big deal, but I was talking to the grocery manager earlier and he’s considering bailing for at least five days if just for his own mental health. I’m at work right now, everyone is on edge except management. They’re not requiring anyone quarantine besides other employees who had overlapping shifts with the confirmed case. I knew this would eventually happen, but I don’t know what to do next. how the gently caress are we supposed to go on just like business as usual? Today we are doing major table changes in my department, we’re already understaffed and since we’ve officially reopened in AZ management has been expecting performance to be just as it always was. I’m trying to get everything done but all I can think is “gently caress this, there are more important things going on right now.”

sorry for rambling, I’m just scared of bringing this poo poo home to my wife, scared of maybe already giving it to my family and hers. stay safe goons.

I'm sorry man :( stay as safe as you can

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

good thing summer is coming so people can get outside

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Oh poo poo, rip dude

I might be fine. My facility isn't serving students. Mandatory masks and gloves. Social distancing enforced. But over at the other building? I can easily imagine things going wrong. It's takeout only, so the students aren't much of a disease vector, but if one cook tested positive, I doubt they'll be the last.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lambert posted:

Fake News, everybody knows Coronavirus is over.

The hospital won't even let me go see my roommate because of Corona it's aggrivating. Apparently she has to stay because I crushed her ribs real good performing CPR the other day.

I really don't recommend ever having to perform chest compressions on someone.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

Apparently she has to stay because I crushed her ribs real good performing CPR the other day.

Pretty sure that's how you know you did it the right way. At least in our First Aid course we were told that it's very likely you'll crush the person's ribs when performing CPR.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure that's how you know you did it the right way. At least in our First Aid course we were told that it's very likely you'll crush the person's ribs when performing CPR.

CPR classes really don't prepare you for it at all :shudder:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

I'm going to assume Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. I'm a Mesa goon who has also not stopped working during the whole pandemic because construction was considered essential and i'm an inspector. We also had our first (multiple) confirmed cases on Monday at my jobsite and all they did is quarantine the immediate workers to the infected. We all use the same portajohns and you can imagine the cleanliness of those so the next week should be "exciting" to see if any of us develop symptoms. Arizona opening back up and seeing how many people who were out and about on Memorial weekend was scary and I think this is the start of the ramp up in cases here, thanks Ducey!

I wish I could be more help but we both seem to be disposable workers in our respective industries. This sucks bad and Arizonans in general just don't seem to care. I can't believe how many people I hear saying "The heat will kill it!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

The hospital won't even let me go see my roommate because of Corona it's aggrivating. Apparently she has to stay because I crushed her ribs real good performing CPR the other day.

I really don't recommend ever having to perform chest compressions on someone.

That seems kind of an overreaction to someone not keeping a schedule and being up at annoying times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jeffrey_ventre/status/1267974009011892224?s=21

would be pretty coolzone if they went on strike