Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

man i shouldn't have been nearly so certain about the fact i was gonna die from something climate change related lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
how long has it been since trump did a briefing about covid, like 2-3 weeks? feels like a year ago he dragged a bunch of ceos out to talk about big beautiful walmart parking lot testing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

CPR classes really don't prepare you for it at all :shudder:

Isn't cpr (for adults) mostly just make believe so you can say you tried unless you have a defibrillator immediately accessible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bip Roberts posted:

Isn't cpr (for adults) mostly just make believe so you can say you tried unless you have a defibrillator immediately accessible

That's how I understand it, but the 911 operator instructed me to do chest compressions. The paramedics found a pulse so it was probably unnecessary. When you have someone gurgling and turning purple on the kitchen floor, you kinda have to trust them.

I know the CPR classes I took years ago mentioned that you break ribs, but that doesn't actually prepare you for the way it sounds and feels when you actually do it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

about 45% of people that get cpr outside of a hospital setting survive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dreylad posted:

how long has it been since trump did a briefing about covid, like 2-3 weeks? feels like a year ago he dragged a bunch of ceos out to talk about big beautiful walmart parking lot testing

I feel like the pandemic was a lot more fun when the market was tumbling and rich cunts were panicking and getting hosed just like everyone else.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Bip Roberts posted:

depends on the underlying cause. cpr can work if the inciting cause of cardiac arrest stops (suffocation, overdose, lightning strike, etc.) in an otherwise healthy person. people dying after being coded in the hospital have serious underlying disease that will still be there if the heart starts beating again. defibrillators are for life-threatening abnormal rhythms.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bip Roberts posted:

it's complicated--there's a difference between chest compressions and mouth to mouth breathing and you need to take a first aid class to learn when each is appropriate to use. trying to fix a problem with oxygen getting into the blood by just pumping more blood around is going to be useless for example

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Either way, I don't recommend it, it was probably the most horrifying 10-20 minutes of my life.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

seattle plague rat posted:

hell yah drink coffee smoke cigs dont use ur inhaler rules r for cops

(this works p good 4 me https://www.ecoparent.ca/eco-wellness/clear-congestion-easy-steam-inhalations bt i dont use essential oils or anything just steam to clear mucus an openerup a bit)

Tks

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

I've seen it given on an older woman before and it sounded like a chicken bone cracking, I don't think she was in the mentioned group

E: I don't think the person knew what they were doing possibly either

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

sounds pretty good

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hell yeah, move it to Las Vegas

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothus posted:

Hell yeah, move it to Las Vegas

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bip Roberts posted:

The CPR truther has logged on.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1267917391780024327?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

facetoucher cat posted:

I've seen it given on an older woman before and it sounded like a chicken bone cracking, I don't think she was in the mentioned group

E: I don't think the person knew what they were doing possibly either

you can feel their ribs snapping in half or popping off their sternum

i'll just spoiler this

billion year old woman, weighs maybe 90 pounds, was found on the floor near her bed by her caretaker. she was staying in the basement of a house. hx of dementia, copd, you name it. this was in february. no one knew how she got on the floor.

by the time she got to use she was so cold the thermometers wouldn't work. she was like 7 breaths per minute. o2 sats were dropping quick. we put the bear hugger blanket on her trying to get her temp up. completely unresponsive. Very obviously dying.

she was a full code.

no one wanted to touch her. this woman is dying. it's time. but we couldn't get in touch with her family and no one wanted to intubate her. she's crumping. heart rate is in the low 10s. No femoral pulses. doctors are just like "we're going to do one round of acls and that's it."

one full round of acls is constant compressions for five minutes, maybe a shock if we get a shockable rhythm, 2 shots of epi and a hit of amio. someone ambu bagging her the entire time, forcing air into her lungs.

we do this and we can hear/feel her ribs snapping. Pumping her full of drugs. the pulse just won't come back. we stop compressions and take off the ambu mask. She coughs up blood and starts moaning in pain. She was awake for all of it.

one person audibly gagged. no one knew what to do. she was coughing up blood, struggling to breathe. we've pumped her full of so much epinephrine that her body doesn't know it's dead.

doctor just says "no. gently caress this" and calls her time of death. SHE IS STILL OBVIOUSLY ALIVE.

Myself and two other nurses just sat there with her while she died for the next ten minutes. Like one breath every 25 seconds.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ve heard 10%, gonna look it up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah, i had thought 10% too but i googled it before i posted that.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

We just found out today that an employee at my work has tested positive for covid. I work in a grocery store in AZ (not Kroger, Walmart or Whole Foods) in a well to do suburb of Phoenix. We don’t work in the same department and I haven’t had close contact with them, but gently caress man. It was inevitable, I’d say maybe half of our customers wear masks, and maybe half of the employees wear their masks correctly (like only covering their mouths and not their nose, lowering it to loving talk, etc.) Store management is doing their best to make it seem like not a big deal, but I was talking to the grocery manager earlier and he’s considering bailing for at least five days if just for his own mental health. I’m at work right now, everyone is on edge except management. They’re not requiring anyone quarantine besides other employees who had overlapping shifts with the confirmed case. I knew this would eventually happen, but I don’t know what to do next. how the gently caress are we supposed to go on just like business as usual? Today we are doing major table changes in my department, we’re already understaffed and since we’ve officially reopened in AZ management has been expecting performance to be just as it always was. I’m trying to get everything done but all I can think is “gently caress this, there are more important things going on right now.”

sorry for rambling, I’m just scared of bringing this poo poo home to my wife, scared of maybe already giving it to my family and hers. stay safe goons.
sorry hellscape state goon

what suburb is this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

This looks like a decent study (for cardiac arrest specifically): http://img2.timg.co.il/forums/54969181.pdf

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah, i had thought 10% too but i googled it before i posted that.

45% make it to the hospital, but only 10% survive longer than a month

cpr by an amateur doubles your chance of living past a month and cpr by a professional almost quadruples it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jfc get a loving life people

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
No need for a June thread, but this thread IS getting a little stale.

June-July-August for a COVID-19 Summer. We're not expecting much in the way of big news until September or October when this poo poo is supposed to ramp the hell up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

endlessmonotony posted:

June-July-August for a COVID-19 Summer. We're not expecting much in the way of big news until September or October when this poo poo is supposed to ramp the hell up.

uh i mean after the protests and The Great Opening shits gonna get real bad

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

the combo of OPEN ER UP and the >500 riots will probably make things Big prior to that timeline, to be honest

I'm still in favor of a summer thread though

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

well grab some of the more important info/tweets/whatever and make one!!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

LMFAO on TV maybe

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

it was probably the most horrifying 10-20 minutes of my life.

I guess you don't read GBS. :dadjoke:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

[covid-19 epilogue] June Bug

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

snoo posted:

well grab some of the more important info/tweets/whatever and make one!!

fiiiiiine

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175

go here you animals

i'll make it better tomorrow when I'm dealing with cool zone day crew

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

anime was right posted:

uh i mean after the protests and The Great Opening shits gonna get real bad

Oh, yes. But bad in that predictable fashion that doesn't result in "oh poo poo" as much as "gently caress this poo poo".

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

you can feel their ribs snapping in half or popping off their sternum

i'll just spoiler this

billion year old woman, weighs maybe 90 pounds, was found on the floor near her bed by her caretaker. she was staying in the basement of a house. hx of dementia, copd, you name it. this was in february. no one knew how she got on the floor.

by the time she got to use she was so cold the thermometers wouldn't work. she was like 7 breaths per minute. o2 sats were dropping quick. we put the bear hugger blanket on her trying to get her temp up. completely unresponsive. Very obviously dying.

she was a full code.

no one wanted to touch her. this woman is dying. it's time. but we couldn't get in touch with her family and no one wanted to intubate her. she's crumping. heart rate is in the low 10s. No femoral pulses. doctors are just like "we're going to do one round of acls and that's it."

one full round of acls is constant compressions for five minutes, maybe a shock if we get a shockable rhythm, 2 shots of epi and a hit of amio. someone ambu bagging her the entire time, forcing air into her lungs.

we do this and we can hear/feel her ribs snapping. Pumping her full of drugs. the pulse just won't come back. we stop compressions and take off the ambu mask. She coughs up blood and starts moaning in pain. She was awake for all of it.

one person audibly gagged. no one knew what to do. she was coughing up blood, struggling to breathe. we've pumped her full of so much epinephrine that her body doesn't know it's dead.

doctor just says "no. gently caress this" and calls her time of death. SHE IS STILL OBVIOUSLY ALIVE.

Myself and two other nurses just sat there with her while she died for the next ten minutes. Like one breath every 25 seconds.

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
new month, new thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175