Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

Picking high tier/popular characters instead of the ones you want to kiss the most.

Wanting to kiss any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

assuming an attack is unblockable/undodgeable before you're familiar with the mechanics of the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
one time i dated this woman who didn't think much of videogames and my computer was broken anyway so i was like "yeah I'm kind of over them" and thought I'd take that as my time to ween myself off of videogame and be "more productive." yeah, well, guess what really good game came out prompting me to build new computer and get me hooked all over again? really, tell me i forgot im hopeless videogames 4 life smoke games everyday

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

one time i dated this woman who didn't think much of videogames and my computer was broken anyway so i was like "yeah I'm kind of over them" and thought I'd take that as my time to ween myself off of videogame and be "more productive." yeah, well, guess what really good game came out prompting me to build new computer and get me hooked all over again? really, tell me i forgot im hopeless videogames 4 life smoke games everyday

postal 3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm going to say amazon's crucible for maximum embarrassment and topicality

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i'm going to say amazon's crucible for maximum embarrassment and topicality

I haven't heard of a single person who's even considered playing it

Someone must have, but who?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

crosspost from the steam thread but the answer is "approximately 465 people"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

crosspost from the steam thread but the answer is "approximately 465 people"

Holy poo poo lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Those are all games journalists and other people being paid to watch it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Those are all games journalists and other people being paid to watch it

and people spamming "on stadia when??" in the chat

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Infinitum posted:

God I hope the 3D World Deluxe rumour turns out to be true.

That game is so loving good.

I wonder if they'll replace the Miiverse integration with anything, all the fan art between levels was one of my favorite things about that game and it wasn't the same after they killed off Miiverse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's crucible

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my Nvidia Shield Pro this morning and set it up. It is really impressive as a in-home network streaming device. I wouldn't play any competitive games on it though, the input lag is subtle but still noticeable.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Fun conversation prompt, about video games:
What are the worst noob traps in vgs?

Using available free-form character building and making a hybrid instead of something specialized, ultimately ending up way too weak for the games content.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

precision posted:

What's crucible

not much what's crucible with you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

it's me, i played crucible

it's alright! i enjoyed it. it's a game that lets me eschew shooting gun and swing a big axe instead, and i wish there were more of those.

but i'm pretty sure that the lack of playerbase is going to kill it and that makes me sad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baller Time posted:

Using available free-form character building and making a hybrid instead of something specialized, ultimately ending up way too weak for the games content.

Fuckin this right here. There's no worse gamefeel than "hell yeah, I made a Gun Magician!" and having the game later say "your guns and magic suck lol owned"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

it's me, i played crucible

it's alright! i enjoyed it. it's a game that lets me eschew shooting gun and swing a big axe instead, and i wish there were more of those.

but i'm pretty sure that the lack of playerbase is going to kill it and that makes me sad.

i had never heard of it until i saw an ad as of the night/morning before it released where i remarked to myself that it looked like the most soulless, artless thing i'd seen in some time

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yeah I forgot we were getting a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remaster this year
https://youtu.be/x-gBaEQOS7A

I still maintain that this game was ahead of its time, can't wait to find out how poorly it's actually aged.

lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

What's crucible

battleborn 2.0

or i guess overwatch bandwagon jumping 3 years too late, both would work

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Fuckin this right here. There's no worse gamefeel than "hell yeah, I made a Gun Magician!" and having the game later say "your guns and magic suck lol owned"

I love it a lot when hybrids are actually viable and fun but that's so rare :negative:

Shout out to Dragon's Dogma for having kickass hybrid classes like Mystic Knight and Magick Archer, though. Also Divinity Original Sin 2 for making it both viable and a good idea to give even physical characters support/mobility spells and stuff like that, that's fun too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I made the best subnautica time capsule, change my mind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/vickyfuck_/status/1265916173583028224?s=20

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In DOS2 you’re incentivized to either have a full-physical-damage party or a full-magical-party because of the way armour works in that game, where you can’t damage an enemy’s health until you remove either all of their physical armour or all of their magical armour; doing half your damage to each gets you nowhere

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

In DOS2 you’re incentivized to either have a full-physical-damage party or a full-magical-party because of the way armour works in that game, where you can’t damage an enemy’s health until you remove either all of their physical armour or all of their magical armour; doing half your damage to each gets you nowhere

Doing that just makes the game worse since the game is clearly balanced for a mixed party

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Iirc you can’t even CC until either the enemy’s phys armour or magic armour is all gone, so a mixed party struggles more than a pure one

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

I love it a lot when hybrids are actually viable and fun but that's so rare :negative:

Shout out to Dragon's Dogma for having kickass hybrid classes like Mystic Knight and Magick Archer, though. Also Divinity Original Sin 2 for making it both viable and a good idea to give even physical characters support/mobility spells and stuff like that, that's fun too.

A goon after my own heart. Versatility over specialization any day of the week, but yeah it's rare for games to treat it that way.

I still need to get back to DD after goofing up and locking myself out of the starting town waifu's quest line, I think I was about to class change into an Assassin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think they might've done a balance overhaul patch to compensate for that but it was like a year after launch so who can say whether anyone found out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only good target is a tiny rear end 1 pixel reticule in the center of the screen

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i think they might've done a balance overhaul patch to compensate for that but it was like a year after launch so who can say whether anyone found out

Balance has not changed at all to make the mixed/pure damage type disparity any different. It's something that would be really difficult to do with the armor system they chose.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Even in a pure physical damage party, there's a lot of use for support magic, so it's worth learning magic skills on your characters to cast them. And there are physical damage spells, too.

C-Euro posted:

A goon after my own heart. Versatility over specialization any day of the week, but yeah it's rare for games to treat it that way.

I still need to get back to DD after goofing up and locking myself out of the starting town waifu's quest line, I think I was about to class change into an Assassin.

Dragon's Dogma rules. Don't be afraid to try out a bunch of classes, either. Assassin is extremely fun, and Mystic Knight and Magick Archer are pretty cool physical/magical hybrids. Magick Archer even gets a spell that lets you light yourself on fire and then turn into a whirling berserker of knives and fire and it owns.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
dos2 is cool, i have a hard time getting traction on a playthrough cause the initial difficulty ramp is pretty bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Iirc you can’t even CC until either the enemy’s phys armour or magic armour is all gone, so a mixed party struggles more than a pure one

CC is by far the the strongest thing you can do in tactics RPGs like OS2. A pure physical party that just spams debuffs like knockdown absolutely crushes the game and turns into a complete cakewalk since the enemies are permastunned.

Relax Or DIE posted:

dos2 is cool, i have a hard time getting traction on a playthrough cause the initial difficulty ramp is pretty bad.

Yeah the difficulty of OS2 is kind of backwards with the first fights being really difficult in comparison to later parts. It gets way easier once you get just a bit of gear and a few additional abilities though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are you disagreeing with jay rust there because it seems like you're agreeing with him completely

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

YouTube Ads?! Gone Wild

*tiddies, they say it out loud

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What does everyone think happened to dying light 2? I suspect that it's been held back for the ps5 or xbox announcements and will be used to push the next generation. That would mean that it's not on the pc though? I'm not really sure what to think but I just think it has something to do with the next generation of consoles or maybe graphics cards (ray tracing?) or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

are you disagreeing with jay rust there because it seems like you're agreeing with him completely

idk

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

redreader posted:

What does everyone think happened to dying light 2? I suspect that it's been held back for the ps5 or xbox announcements and will be used to push the next generation. That would mean that it's not on the pc though? I'm not really sure what to think but I just think it has something to do with the next generation of consoles or maybe graphics cards (ray tracing?) or something.

I think it's a classic case of overambition and feature bloat. The kind of game they pitched from the beginning seemed like one that needed a development budget the size of Read Dead 2 to pull off without feeling cheap and gimmicky. I know Techland isn't tiny but they aren't Rockstar either. It just feels like they bit off way more than they could chew and also talked about the game too much and way too early in development, which is easy to do when everything is storyboards and pre-production.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

Dragon's Dogma rules. Don't be afraid to try out a bunch of classes, either. Assassin is extremely fun, and Mystic Knight and Magick Archer are pretty cool physical/magical hybrids. Magick Archer even gets a spell that lets you light yourself on fire and then turn into a whirling berserker of knives and fire and it owns.

Oh yeah it def ruled in the 8ish hours that I played. I just dropped it as soon as I realized I had locked myself out of a bunch of stuff and haven't gotten back to picking it up again. I got so much else I "need" to play.

I was on the final boss of Dungeonmans last night with a character I had been playing for 40+ hours and got one-shotted while the boss was at 10% health. I was so excited to cross a game off my list and now I have to build another character all the way back up to beat it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DOS2 is too long and eventually I decided I just wanted to push forward and beat the game and ignore sidequests, but the exp curve is so tight that if you intentionally skip any quest ever you're permanently and irrevocably hosed, so I never beat it.