Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But despite that, why would you pay 40 bucks for Fantasy Grounds when Roll20 is right fuckin' there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Codeacious posted:

NGL, didn't know about this game at all before now and this has me incredibly interested

The VO leading up to firing is so good

Zone of the enders and the 2nd runner are really good and available on current gen.

The first time you get to fire that weapon is bliss, and it's not the only cool one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also assuming d&d book pricing is anything like other tabletop games its already a rip off either way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

Zone of the enders and the 2nd runner are really good and available on current gen.

The first time you get to fire that weapon is bliss, and it's not the only cool one

My favorite part of ZOE1 is how little of a poo poo the ai cares that you're blowing the gently caress out of the colony except that it makes the mission harder probably meanwhile the kid pilot is freaking out at the ten thousand warcrimes a second he's probably commiting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But despite that, why would you pay 40 bucks for Fantasy Grounds when Roll20 is right fuckin' there
the books cost the same on roll20 and you have to subscribe to get the same features that fg has. idk some people prefer it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

also assuming d&d book pricing is anything like other tabletop games its already a rip off either way
its a huge ripoff but thats a different argument. and at least buying it on roll20 or fg is way more useful than using a pirated pdf, because its organized more sanely and you can just drag poo poo out of the monster manual and onto the board, instead of having to type up stat blocks in advance. + on all those services only the GM needs to buy anything, because you can share everything with the players

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part of ZOE1 is how little of a poo poo the ai cares that you're blowing the gently caress out of the colony except that it makes the mission harder probably meanwhile the kid pilot is freaking out at the ten thousand warcrimes a second he's probably commiting

This and i love that 2nd runner takes the mgs2 route with protagonist and you get to see that kid super jaded. If there's any tragedy about Konami and kojima, it's all the potential like this and mgr2 left on the table.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

But roll20 already exists? And has really good Blades in the Dark support???

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

But roll20 already exists? And has really good Blades in the Dark support???
fantasy grounds has been around for way longer than roll20

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

its a huge ripoff but thats a different argument. and at least buying it on roll20 or fg is way more useful than using a pirated pdf, because its organized more sanely and you can just drag poo poo out of the monster manual and onto the board, instead of having to type up stat blocks in advance. + on all those services only the GM needs to buy anything, because you can share everything with the players

or you could play one of the eighty thousand free FATE games that don't require days of homework

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Also lmao at even playing Dungeons and Dragons as a tabletop rpg in tyool2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

or you could play one of the eighty thousand free FATE games that don't require days of homework
or you could just play donkey kong, thats a good game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

this hasn't left my head since i was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnscgQK7mUY

same except it's the vulture from starcraft saying "i read ya. """sir"""."

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

https://youtu.be/bcGU8OUXCDE

This is stuck in my head

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

This and i love that 2nd runner takes the mgs2 route with protagonist and you get to see that kid super jaded. If there's any tragedy about Konami and kojima, it's all the potential like this and mgr2 left on the table.

My main complaint with 2nd runner is that it blasts through too much too quickly so you don't really get time to enjoy the various upgrades and powerups you're getting before they're taken away, though the mech constantly changing/getting blown apart is pretty cool in itself despite that.

This technically counts as a startup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlvM-AY3EqE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

there is almost certainly a Kong World .pdf floating around out there somewhere

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

people play dnd? lol I thought it was a joke. hey I got a tabletop game for you, it’s called putting your switch on the table and playing Deadly Premonition: Origins

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://i.imgur.com/InjNtex.mp4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

now youre talkin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

same except its the firebat saying "need a light"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnBVuoIbW8

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion:_Line_of_Contact

What the gently caress, I have never heard of this second game, I always thought the lovely Kinect one was the second one

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh my god maneater comes out TOMORROW

YESSSSS

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerrzhe posted:

oh my god maneater comes out TOMORROW

YESSSSS

whoa here it comes

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

i actually still say ab-so-lutely in the same cadence as the marines

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1263685771984162816?s=20

I gotta say, I'm a fan of the stealth liquidation that GameStop's been doing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

If anyone deserves the 'good' definition of gamer, it's owners of steel battalion. I'll forever be jealous

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

whoa here it comes

watch out boy she'll teleport out of the water, grab you, do a backflip, throw you into another guy, then chew you up

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

coincidentally talking about tabletop games and how complicated gloomhaven is and such the character i play pathfinder with died this past weekend and my first thought wasn't "oh no this character i've grown to love over the course of this campaign has died" or even "oh no, my major investment in this character time wise has died" but "oh jesus gently caress me i'm going to have to draw up a whole new character from scratch christ this sucks"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Myself, Lady VG, my bestie and his former roomate use Fantasy Grounds. We are currently in the middle of a Forgetten Realms campaign and a Traveller campaign. I have to say, for social distancing TTGaming it is actually awesome :D We have a lot of fun and rolling the dice virtually gives me a little kick!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if anyone else was weird enough to pay $30 for smilebasic on the switch, どうぞ
https://twitter.com/itssnails/status/1263717203452420096

go poo poo in a sandbox

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Myself, Lady VG, my bestie and his former roomate use Fantasy Grounds. We are currently in the middle of a Forgetten Realms campaign and a Traveller campaign. I have to say, for social distancing TTGaming it is actually awesome :D We have a lot of fun and rolling the dice virtually gives me a little kick!
I'm sorry, who are you?

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

homeless snail posted:

if anyone else was weird enough to pay $30 for smilebasic on the switch, どうぞ
https://twitter.com/itssnails/status/1263717203452420096

go poo poo in a sandbox

I have some fun memories of messing around with similar stuff on school computers, but I've never looked into how they work.

Do you run a bit of logic on a per pixel basis? or do you just have a giant list of particles?

For the plant one, what kind of algorithm determines growth? I'm impressed by how leafy it looks

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I'm sorry, who are you?

THRILLING! Tales from the FUTURE!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
thrilling tales from the future kirby has really dangly balls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

I have some fun memories of messing around with similar stuff on school computers, but I've never looked into how they work.

Do you run a bit of logic on a per pixel basis? or do you just have a giant list of particles?

For the plant one, what kind of algorithm determines growth? I'm impressed by how leafy it looks
its pixel based, everything's in one big array that it iterates through from the bottom right to the top left (for aesthetic reasons), and then that gets blitted to the graphics buffer each frame. I haven't actually tried doing it the other way, I just assumed performance would better this way

the plant, whenever a particle of it is adjacent to water it checks the three spaces directly above it, but its unevenly weighted to prefer following other plant particles rather than expanding and going straight up rather than diagonally, and then if the space it chose was a plant particle it recurses until it hits air or runs out of room to grow. and then i sat down and grew plants for an hour while loving with the weighting until I was satisfied with how it looked. pretty much everything is completely probabilistic though, most of the particles don't keep any kind of state

here's an earlier version where the weighting was more evenly balanced, it disgusted me
https://twitter.com/itssnails/status/1258659153926451200

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is Blades in the Dark still the current tabletop indie darling or is there a new hotness

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Here's my fav startup sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

cheetah7071 posted:

Is Blades in the Dark still the current tabletop indie darling or is there a new hotness

Monopoly.

lol jk can you imagine? https://boardgamegeek.com/ Usually the BGG chart is a good indicator. Gloomhaven. Terraforming Mars, Wingspan, Brass: Birmingham, Nemesis, and Arkham Horror have all been holding steady for a while

Cowcaster posted:

"oh jesus gently caress me i'm going to have to draw up a whole new character from scratch christ this sucks"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also I updated the poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Civilisation 6 is free on the Epic Game Store :siren:

Looks like there'll be another game next week as well.
Last week was GTA5.