Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Is the whole game that brown

the game is extremely ugly but its also a game that one guy developed over a decade by himself so you gotta allow for it. its kind of like... drawn me in a bit though. big old rpg game mood its giving me, im feeling the uglyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

A skeleton team seems really annoying at the beginning when you don't have the resources for repair kits (and skeleton beds are rare).

Fleshy units are way easier to heal since you can just bandage them on the cheap and let them sleep a for a while somewhere.

i actually picked them cos the previous games i tried playing dealing with hunger early on while i was trying to work out what i was doing was annoying. i was very very lucky though that i went north from where i started and found this town, which has a robot shop with kits, a skeleton bed, even spare limbs. having the 5 of them and being able to quickly grab all the stuff from failed raids to sell has made it so making money hasnt been too difficult. this start is a 0c start but i didnt need food with the skeles so it turned out ok. also the repair kits, while expensive, really have a lot of healing in each one and the extra limb hp and not needing to splint stuff, just pure repairing, makes up for it. im ready now to deal with some fleshy friends now im more comfortable with how the game works.

Andrast posted:

Yeah, you can't really knock on Kenshi for that stuff. It's really impressive for a mostly solo project.

It's definitely some prime eurojank

yeah def brings to mind the convo from earlier. the jank is endearing, i dont know if i would have as much patience for a more polished package with the same mechanics, its weird.

babypolis posted:

poo poo like crucible flopping horribly makes me wonder what kind of dark magic riot is doing where they have released 3 highly succesful games in 3 extremely competitive genres in one year

riot is an aboslutely garbage company with awful management and higher ups, but they do have very competent devs and artists

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

babypolis posted:

they may be garbage but they gotta be doing SOMETHING right. like even 1 of those games doing well would be surprising. all 3? thats kinda crazy tbh

yeah thats the other part of what i said, the company sucks, all the higher ups are awful, but the actual people who make the games are good at their jobs and they have a lot of talented people there. having the inbuilt audience from LoL doesnt hurt either.

Jay Rust posted:

I really want to get into Kenshi but it’s very obtuse and I’m intimidated

this is the third or fourth time im trying to get into it, i dont know if itll stick this time either yet but im definitely much further in than before, mostly just from watching other people play and looking up stuff. its very very slow though. everything takes a long time. ive been listening to podcasts while playing and chilling and its been fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

My early solution for money was a relatively safe town with some copper deposits near the outside. I bought a place and recruited a couple of guys just to automatically haul copper while I explored and recruited more guys with the cash from the copper.

Now I'm 40 hours in and starting to get deep into base building with my 30+ guys. Now fuckers whose lands I apparently built my outpost on have started demanding food tributes from me. I'm definitely not strong enogh to take them on yet but that's the long term plan now.

I generally have more patience for games that are interesting have some kind of vision, even if they are janky garbage. I'm loving Kenshi so far.

i couldnt find copper around where i was and was afraid to venture out early (mightve had to reload after running into some slavers), part of why i want to move on now and look around for other areas to eventually settle in.

it seems like you need a pretty sizeable number of people to get a base going and defend it properly, not sure really what my plan is for it yet, maybe ill just build near a town and run away everytime lol

yeah its weird, the map is giant, its extremely sparse, and there is absolutely no direction in the game at all. i should hate everything about it but its got this weird charm to it. its simultaneously feeling deep and shallow right now, i feel like im doing the same stuff currently but i know theres a bunch of stuff to go and do once im established and i do like the survival game loop its got going on.

Harrow posted:

Valorant seems like "what if Counter-Strike was a hero shooter with unique hero abilities"

its mostly cs, the regular abilities are pretty much just grenades. the ults are more hero shooter and i dont really like them. the thing thats helping it be relevant is csgo is a complete mess because valve, and siege is currently uhhh "struggling"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

Yeah I wouldn't recommend an outpost until you have a bunch of guys who can hold their own in combat and some other units to actually do work in the base. Building an outpost and just running away seems like a valid tactic though.

One my earliest guys spent like 20 real time hours as a slave because I lost him to slavers in a very unfortunate fight that also resulted in my origaI dude having to get a robot leg. I did eventually break him out when I got my bearings though. Also the robot leg guy is my fastest dude now thanks to his sweet robot prosthetics.

Even thought the world is sparse, I have now explored a lot and have actually found a ton of interesting stuff and some very cool lore/worldbuilding. Now I really want to visit the ashlands since stuff is pointing at there being some weird poo poo there.

honestly the only reason i reloaded is because they got my entire team, if it was just one guy then that wouldve been a fun little rescue mission to go on but... not everyone...

yeah ive already noticed the world building, its all very old game style where its not really caring about telling you directly, more about you finding out or not by yourself. very souls like :twisted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

epic

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i found a caravan who lost two mules to wild animals and pilfered 30k from them wowo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

vendors are wild for fur dont get it. lots of fur suits in the desert i guess.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

skeletons walk stoicly at the bottom of any body of water because theyre too heavy to swim

this game slaps lol

Stux fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 30, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Looper posted:

what are some good anti-cop games?

deus ex

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah for launch games both second son and killzone looked amazing, they still hold up graphically. shame about the actual game parts though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

realised the area i was in was full of pretty tough guys so i ended up hiking all the way west through the swamp to an area ive seen other people start out from, my robot guys can actually take fights here! i started an outpost, im just outside squim because although my 5 skeletons are ok they cant take a huge group and my non-robots are all very weak right now. going to fortify and get some self sufficiency going while using squim for protection, then get started on some training

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

there are two wolves inside you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thinking about the quality of the drawing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

so what is a game that y'all have intense nostalgia for but also cannot stand playing anymore?

For me this is WoW. I still think that maybe no other game is as successful in presenting the scale and scope of the world. Flying in wow is more impactful that in anything other game, off the top of my head only Xenoblade X comes close, which makes their multi-year tantrum about flying all the more amusing and frustrating. Even writing this a part of me is tempted to log in and level a character, even though BfA sucks I still had a good time leveling a couple of characters through it.

But while it's always been a Skinner box, it's clear that rentention and FOMO are the primary design directions for it now, with fun and engagement being distant second. FFXIV is far from perfect but it respects me as a player far more, I can almost always easily tell how long something will take to get and I almost never feel like I'm setting myself back by taking a break.

eve online

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i really really like the mechanics of how things work in eve but the level of playtime required to do anything at all is too much give me a single player version or something

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

now i understand kenshi i have an extremely strong desire to start again with the same start and its NOT related to my settlement being difficult to keep going because i started it too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

look into x3 or whatever op

doesnt do it for me, also i actually like the eve controlling stuff and want that part too. nms works for doing the first person direct control space stuff fo r me