Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

he was already rich as gently caress, what was there to work out?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Obsidian hired the woman who wrote The Outer Wilds

After The Outer Worlds, I am not entirely sure I should be happy about that news

Obsidian has always been very hit and miss. Sometimes their games are fantastic like PoE2 and sometimes their games are The Outer Worlds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think rope kid working The Outer Worlds would have made the writing any better. Gameplay would probably have been better though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rope Kid was lead designer on PoE1 and I thought that was pretty bad. Fortunately PoE2 fixed all the issues I had with it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

rope kid has talked about how the narrative design in New Vegas was rooted in material struggle and realpolitik (different factions fighting for real tangible resources), and how they built the game geography and quest progression all around this central conflict

This might have been a good strategy to bring to the "corporate capitalism sci-fi" game!

huh I thought he was mostly a gameplay guy but now that I think about it, being a lead designer probably means your handprints ends up on everything

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

We'll see. This is a new chapter for MS games. New business model might mean changes in how studios are treated. And I certainly hope so. They bought out some great devs.

New business model and entirely new leadership for the division. The division leadership at Microsoft has a lot of freedom on how they want to develop their "branch" so changes there can lead to wildly different stuff happening.

It might end up terrible or it might end up ok, who knows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

That's the thing, before Disco Elysium, even the 'best'writing in games was cribbed from something better or just fantasy blah blah you grow to deal. Obsidian is great at naturalistic dialogue but the scope of outer worlds, corporations are bad?, has them start in a well worn corner they just roll around in.

I think this is the main issue. Compared to the games they're lauded for, kotor2 and alpha protocol, splashing around in a boring dystopia with few choices really hurts.

I don't think Disco Elysium has anything to do with The Outer Worlds' Bethesda tier writing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I wish the new animal crossings had little minigames or something like the NES emulators in the second one.

I always find it funny when I see people saying this stuff because the other side always complains about facebook, twitter, youtube, etc are obviously left biased and only deplatform right wing celebrities like alex jones.

Corporations don't care about politics beyond how they think it hits the bottom line.

Corporations are right wing organizations

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

lol Microsoft Teams

it's ok

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

it's trash, don't lie to me like that

it's possible I have stockholm syndromed myself into thinking it's ok since I have to use it at work

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't want to upgrade my pc so keep the non hardware pushing games coming

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not going buy any console until it has a bunch of worthwhile exclusives on it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Which races are the good ones?

the murlocs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

first time i was allowed to use the internet my parents gave me an awkward speech about the ills of looking at bad things on the internet. little old naive and sheltered me had no idea what they were talking about.

My dad just told me to delete the browser history

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

GoW has great art and really great voice acting performances, my favorite parts were Kratos/kid/and sometimes the head having little conversations and telling stories while paddling around

Moving from diet devil may cry to diet dark souls didn't make actually playing the game much more compelling that it's predecessors though

The combat in the new God of War was way better than in the old ones

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 was absolutely too long and would have been way better if it wasn't open world

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

I'd make an exception for Witcher 3 because the crazy number of really good sidequests would be pretty difficult to do in a non-open world.

Luckily you can very easily ignore 90% of the open world stuff.

It's very easy if you just do normal quests hubs like RPGs have done forever

The open world makes the sidequests worse becuase you bave to trek through the boring open world to find those quessts

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i'm willing to accept that you don't like open world games andrast but turning it into a destiny hub with mission boards would loving ruin that game, that sounds absolutely hideous

What the do quest hubs have to do with mission boards? You have several smaller areas where the quests are concentrated, like RPGs have done forever.

Open world games can be good but Witcher 3 is awful as one, all the open world parts stuff just hinders the stuff the game does well (writing and characters).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

one npc that gives you all the quests, whatever. that sounds loving lovely dude

Is Witcher 2 an open world game to you?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

if the map was empty it would suck but fortunately the witcher 3 has worthwhile stuff to find and do all over the place

yeah like leveled loot with garbage swords and overleveled monsters that are otherwise identical to the lnes you beat before

Honestly, there was like nothing interesting in the witcher 3 world. Almost all of the good content in the game is in form of quests gotten from people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

Yes and the content of those quests took place on the open world map. If the game didn't have open world game design there would only be a handful of areas that quests could happen in, and they'd have to be far smaller in scope.

Like 80% of the map is worhless nothing with questions marks where no quests take place

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

personally i'm very glad that the witcher 3 is the type of game that it is because i really enjoyed it and found the game world very rewarding to explore and experience. sorry you were bored

I like the game a lot. I just think all the open world bits make the game way worse than it would otherwise be (same with all the filler combat).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

witcher 3 is actually the game that i finally burned out completely on open world games because of and it really isnt, its the same as every single open world game theres stuff around to do but in between the stuff there is just nothing but walking forward its anti-fun and its just padding. theres no point to it.

i like exploring too but wandering around a big map isnt really exploring when so much of it is completely pointless. smaller open world games that actually have a dense and purposeful map design instead of being insanely sprawling are much better at exploring, stuff like hollow knight. the only time i think just a giant open world is justified is mostly in sandbox games because its about making your own fun not specifically interacting with things like npcs or quests or missions and you want space build stuff or whatever.

I don't think I have ever agreed eith Stux more.

I do think there is a space for some open world games though if it's done well

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

hollow knight is the metroidvania with the biggest loving map i've ever played

Yeah and it rules because everything about it is incredibly tightly designed and there is a purpose to it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

man it's a good thing people who hate open world games don't typically get to design open world games

I like Morrowind, Skyrim (to some extent) and BOTW

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

you like morrowind and breath of the wild and you think witcher 3 has a lot of pointless filler walking

Both of them actually do stuff with the open world that I think makes it worthwhile. They are games about exploration and trying new poo poo.

Witcher 3 doesn't and exploration is awful

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

i love exploring in games, i love walking sims and proteus and noctis iv and whatever else.

i like open world games, i dont like games that are open world without purpose or reason, much like how i can love asuras wrath while disliking the trend a few years ago when every game under the sun had QTEs constantly for no reason.

Yeah we are very much on the same page here. I like exploration but it has to have a purpose and the game needs to designed with it in mind.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 12, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

isn't this what breath of the wild is? that's the 2nd hand impression i got

Nah, botw is firmly in the 1) category

I think botw does an excellent job at 1) though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like the sleepyhead area

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I guess it looks good but eh I don't really care about graphics these days

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

finally we have enough triangles

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The new Paper Mario game looks great. I've never played any of the others, but really should.

You should definitely play Thousand-Year Door if you can at least

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Coming from Wario64 helps with this rumor, but there have been so many Pikman rumors over the years that all proved to be fake.

They are all coming

the age of pikmin is about to arrive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

lotta probes going around lately, stay safe gamers

maybe the probed people should stop being forum criminals!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

How do I get promoted to turbonerd?

You need to press the turbo button on your PC

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

I finished The Surge 2 (which is on Game Pass right now) and it was very good. Miles better than the first Surge which I petered out of after a couple of bosses. The Surge 1 felt like it wanted to be a Soulslike through and through but while it had an intriguing combat system, the world felt like it was an endless maze of nondescript junkyards and industrial corridors. It was punishing like Dark Souls, but it lacked the charm that made me want to come back for more.

The Surge 2 still retains the same basic Souls-like combat system, but the game loop itself is less Souls and more Metroidvania, with a dash of Bloodborne. It's a segmented open-ish world with large areas that have transitions between them, requiring you to move between them fairly regularly. As you progress through the game, you unlock abilities that let you access new areas in places you've already been, as well as shortcuts between areas that were previously laborious to move between. Halfway through the game, there's a major turning point event that alters the world significantly.

The biggest change that kept me hooked is that unlike the Estus Flask type system of The Surge 1 where you get a limited number of heals that recharge primarily at Med-Bay checkpoints, in The Surge 2 you can recharge them via combat. As you land hits, your battery meter generates charges and for every full charge, you can refill one use of injectable items (there are a ton of equippable injectables but I mainly just used the healing one), which brings it closer to Bloodborne's rally mechanic and lets you be a lot more aggressive. You can even spec into battery charge speed alongside health and stamina, which I did, so that a single combo worth of hits can be enough to generate a healing charge.

My one complaint is that a few enemy types and one recurring boss in particular have a few fake-out animations that seem designed only to throw off your parry timing, but for the most part I managed to learn all the attack animations fairly easily. Parrying is also not strictly required, but it is pretty satisfying once it clicks, and you can get some fairly substantial damage buffs that are activated by parrying successfully. The ability to generate unlimited amounts of health through combat means that parrying isn't the gamble it is in Dark Souls.

I tend to burn out on games fairly easily, but this is one of the only games I've gotten all the way through in the last few months without having to drag myself over the finish line. I can see myself replaying it again.

The Surge 2 was good for like the first half until the big plot thing happens and then it went downhill a lot imo. I definitely enjoyed the ability to sequence break a bit since that's always fun. I never played 1 though so I can't compare. It felt like a 20 hour game that had fun content for about 10 hours.

I think it's definitely worse than any FROM soulslike but a reasonably fun time. I liked Code Vein more than Surge 2 too.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 19, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You also collect men and various uh, weird things to use as objects

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

that's a shame, you don't love to see it

Persona 5 is a very fun and stylish game but by hour 60 or 70 out of 100 you will begin to notice the flaws in the writing and tone of the game as it presents itself to you as compared to what it promised itself to be in the beginning

but that doesn't happen until hour 60/70, so that's a pretty good amount of game where you're being enchanted by slick UI design and fantastic music where you're thinking you're playing the best JRPG that there ever was

I could see myself going back to play P5 Royal in the next year or two but I can't believe they didn't put in an option for using your old save data to begin a NG+. seems like the most obvious thing in the world to do

I would have liked P5 a lot more if it was half the length. The pacing was atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

p5 is the only 100 hour game ive played thats actually a 100 hour game and i wouldnt change the pacing at all honestly

I barely managed to get through the last 20 hours because I was so loving done with the game by the end.

Looper posted:

for the record, i don't like the persona battle system either

It's ok but I do think that every dungeon is just too long so it gets very tiring.