Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like drawfee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watch supergreatfriend, bobvids, voidburger, and slowbeef instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

sakurazuka and corn in the bible are dragging dark souls 3 for being ashy grey everywhere
come back crowfeathers

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 5 Gs

Good
Games:
Gex
Galaga
Gunpoint

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

coolpunk is dead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

with mick gordon leaving iD i nominate the band from Sonic Adventure as his replacement

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the last jedi was fine and rise of skywalker was a big mess

i am not a huge star wars nerd, for me it's just "is this well directed enough that i'm just enjoying the movie and not constantly nitpicking it in my head"

TROS felt like someone forgot to do their book report and had to write it all during lunch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like if rian johnson had the power he probably would have done a film without finn/poe at all and i would've been fine with that

finn is real cool but people wanted him to be the main hero and he was never supposed to be. and poe's just a dumbass

but that's part of the problem of the whole thing is that jj abrams just dumped a bunch of stuff on the floor and was like "YOU deal with it"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont know of anyone who watched ready player one, even ironically

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember when seth mcfarlane made an outer space show and made himself the protagonist

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

manga are comic books

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

swery is good because he makes new games AND he makes a sequel to deadly premonition

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the first 3 minutes of oblivion are the only good minutes of the game because it's the part that patrick stewart talks over

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if The Good Life had a promotion with a cat vtuber i'd be on board with that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have the neo geo mini now (it was $30) so i will probably play a lot of neo geo games this month

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Was Neo-Geo the one with the cartridges that were absurdly expensive?
the home unit was, yeah. the home console was like $599 and the games cost as much as $125 each

the international mini game list is missing some stuff but it still has a lot of bangers:

metal slug 1 thru 5
sengoku 3
blazing star
five KOF games and three SamShos
last blade 2
garou: mark of the wolves
shock troopers & 2nd round
magician lord
kazuna encounter

it has 40 games in total

it is missing good stuff, though, like nam1975, puzzle bobble, top hunter

but it does have crossed swords

and it was $30 and it's a really cute tiny cabinet

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 6, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Buying the We Happy Few people. What a weird decision.
describes the people who bought the game hehahahahaaeh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the first game i beat on my neo geo mini was CROSSED SWORDS

it is a punchout game but with swords

the final boss takes 10 minutes to beat because you do puny damage to it, and the only way to beat it is to have the Shield Axe Dx, which gives you enough shield charges to avoid its unmissable attacks long enough to whittle its health all the way down

because the versions in neo geo mini are MVS, crossed swords only gives you one continue at a time. you get the continue back if you load a save, but you have to go through an entire boss rush again

i don't think Alpha intended for Crossed Swords to actually be beaten

as for the Neo Geo Mini itself, the screen is extremely crisp and vibrant for a $30 toy. the joystick is unfortunately not micro-switch so there's no satisfying click, so the fighters are probably not going to play great, but it won't be an issue with, like, Shock Troopers

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 7, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my neo geo tour continues..

MUTATION NATION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FdFl3KK0I

the neo geo mini has 3 brawlers and I didn't want to start with the best one immediately, and I also had the thought of "I should probably get the earlier games out of the way" so here is an early-era brawler that is closer to maybe Combatribes than Streets of Rage. you wouldn't be alone if you thought this was an SNES game, it has a washed out color palette, poor character animation, has a tinny soundtrack, and very limited combat that only uses two buttons (were there Neo Geo cabs that only had two buttons initially?)

it was relatively easy to truck through this one since the game offers 4 lives per loaded save, although it is a yolo-based arcade game so avoiding damage is important. bosses are mostly bizarrely easy and can be chain juggled to death without much issue

ROBO ARMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4U5CMLjro

this is the second brawler I played last night. you fight a monocled dr wily ripoff named JEED. unlike mutation nation you get three lives per credit, so you get 12 lives per loaded save, but you only have 5 hit points and enemies can deal 2 HP of damage with one punch. so you go down easily. it's weird, the game is intentionally clunky because you're a cyborg, so your jumping is fast but short and requires a small bit of wait to activate. you have 'power points' which allow you to do a special move without hurting yourself (i wish more brawlers were like this). the higher your power meter, the more powerful the special move. so I would usually save them up until i got to the boss and just unleash them all until my meter was drained. occasionally you get a powerup that turns you into a car like turbo teen and you can just ram everyone to death for a little while, which is cool

this one actually looks more like a neo geo game, although the sprites are still unimpressive, but at least the color depth looks better, and the music is better mixed. i remember seeing this game on cart in an EB when i was a kid and it cost $125, lol

ART OF FIGHTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iQwJMIS7OU

Fuuuuuck this game for real. ok, this is the game I've always associated with the Neo Geo, not just from seeing it in arcades but because of the huge sprites, voice acting, scaling camera, and soundtrack. I've never actually played it though, and I guess there's a reason for that

Even on the AES' "normal" difficulty, this game is ridiculous. Enemies always react instantaneously to your moves with a counter, and they win every tie in combat. special moves do not cost them as much energy as it costs you (especially the final boss, who can dish out 20 fireballs before running out of energy). You can 'taunt' them to drain their energy, but it leaves you vulnerable to attack. playing aggressively usually gets you wasted, so the only real way for me to get through the game was to play entirely on the defensive. the AES AI actually looks less ridiculous somehow, as I watch the longplay. jumpkicks seem to actually be a viable strategy instead of serving yourself up as a juicy pinata for the beating

it's not helped by the neo geo mini's biggest issue, which is the joystick. despite being styled like an arcade joystick ball, it controls more like a 3DS circle pad. But I'd say it's worse than that, because at least with the circle pad your thumb is right against it, whereas this is a joystick you have to lead along the circle. so performing moves sucks rear end

that said, i did not have to save scum until the final boss. so at least there's that. i may be bad at fighting games but i was definitely disadvantaged playing this one

the next games I will probably play will continue to be early era.. i'm thinking Magician Lord, Blue's Journey, maybe Fatal Fury Special

e: now that i look at the longplay more, it looks like it's tool-assisted because he is queueing up fireballs BEFORE the enemy starts their next move and it's always correct. so that makes me feel a little better at least

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 8, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

portal knights is kinda like dq builders but not as good. i did play it for a while though, it was relatively chill

i wouldn't pay full price for it tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm glad that nothing is happening in 10 minutes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anyway neo geo time

MAGICIAN LORD

this was a game I remember seeing on Nick Arcade a lot. it would sometimes be in multi-game neo cabs, along with World Heroes 2 Jet and Metal Slug 1. i have an affinity for the FM-music era of Neo Geo games where it's crunchy but also has samples as well

the game is trying to be like Ghosts and Goblins with magic shooties.. you can also Altered Beast into different forms, and powerup your shooty (on rare occasion). you have to get through 8 stages, each with a boss and mini-boss, and a villain that says something completely incomprehensible like "Your are nice man. But it is your death soon". like a lot of early neo geo games, the final stage is a boss rush followed by a multi-stage final boss.

it would be an okay game if it wasn't for the game's overreliance on map-wrapping mazes and death pits. by death pits, I mean "a corridor filled with 50 enemies in a 3 tile area". so there's often only one correct way to go, but without any signposting and areas that wrap around, along with respawning enemies, it can feel hopeless.

there are also enemies that rush at you or jump while rushing at you instantly after spawning off the edge of the screen, which forced me to creep through the back-half levels to avoid dying.

it's not a good game and nick should have chosen something like cyber-lip for nick arcade instead

FATAL FURY SPECIAL

after Art of Fighting was a disaster, I tuned the difficulty of Fatal Fury Special down to Easy and had a really good time with it.

since performing special moves is completely unreliable on the neo geo mini stick, I had to find a character that could be effective even without special moves. I settled on Billy Kane, who I assume has to be banned from pro play in this game, because he has insane reach with his staff, has regular moves that launch him quickly at enemies, and a moveset in general that is very annoying for enemies to deal with. you can just pepper enemies with a buffet of staff slaps, pokes, and low sweeps and trap them in corners easily. I later tried him in Real Bout and KOF95 and it looks like they nerfed his reach tremendously.

while art of fighting rewards any hit with significant damage, fatal fury is more forgiving. i won several matches just from time running out. the multi-plane concept of Fatal Fury continues to feel like a gimmick to me, and it's especially annoying when enemy AI constantly hops back and forth refusing to engage in combat. but it can be useful to dodge the special attacks of Geese and Wolfgang in late-game.

speaking of which, Wolfgang has a kickass final stage and music. that's a cool final boss. the game's from 1993, so it's not as impressive visually as SNK's later fighters, but it does have some fun environments like the dance club and the infamous train stage. I also like that each round takes place at a different time of day and sometimes weather effects can happen.

based on the general difficulty of playing fighting games on the neo geo mini I don't know how many more fighters I'll actually play on this, unless I can find similarly cheesy characters in the other series. i still have a few more non-fighters to go, though: Blue's Journey, Last Resort, Blazing Star, Puzzled, Shock Troopers 2nd Squad, and the Metal Slug series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

so all you vtuber fans out there excited for the kizuna ai reboot next week??
idc about vtubers BUT i did play and beat Kizuna Encounter this afternoon

KIZUNA ENCOUNTER: SUPER TAG TEAM BATTLE

SNK is doing the Vs Capcom thing and they're doing it alone... i guess this is part of a series called 'savage reign'? idk. this isn't handled quite the same way as the Vs. series... it's a single round, so if you're not careful you can lose the match without even tagging your partner in. There are 'tag zones' on the map where you can switch out. If you're not in the zone, you're on your own. I went with an old guy and a swordwoman, because as i mentioned before, the Mini makes special moves almost impossible, so I'm going for fighters with longer reach

I think there were only 6 stages in the game, as the playable cast is just 10, and the final stage is two-tiered (you fight 'King Lion', then a crow man.. a 'scary crow' one might say). you are at an advantage for most of the game because the AI is not very aggressive in tagging out. The final two battles involve taking on a single opponent who essentially fights twice as fast as can do almost double the damage, so I was forced to play a LOT more defensively. it took me a lot of tries to finish the game

the combat is ok, it's medium-speed (compared to art of fighting or fatal fury which are pretty slow paced), it looks alright, but like a lot of not-noteworthy fighting games, there's not a lot of memorable or enjoyable-to-play characters. no supers either, just tagging and weapons

i also tried out King of the Monsters and it sucks. but I did play King of the Monsters 2 right after and it's pretty neat. they made it into more of a boss-rush brawler which is more fun than the 'wrestling fighter' the first game was. the boss will sometimes run off and you'll have little brawler secitons where you take down planes and submarines and destroy bridges. I like it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

two more neo geo games

WORLD HEROES PERFECT

the world heroes series is really weird because it's the blandest fighting game series on the planet but it had multiple entries and even variants like "world heroes 2 jet". i don't even remember the name of the character i chose, she had a good ending though, where she finds her dad and then accidentally rocket punches him into the sky out of reflex

i put myself behind the 8 ball on this one because she was a 'speed' character with no reach and seemingly no projectile options aside from a protective close-range orb, so combined with the neo geo mini joystick, this was definitely self-enforced hard mode. the game wasn't crazy difficult, aside from the last boss ("NEO DIO") as always. i relied on a little bit of luck in timing the protective orb to trigger as he was getting off the ground from being knocked down, and hoping he didn't go right into an attack.

this one won't stay in my head for much longer

THE LAST BLADE 2

the mini doesn't have Last Blade 1 for whatever reason but that's fine. last blade 2 is excellent. it is maybe the most accessible game to get into because your sword skills do tremendous damage on their own before you even get into special skills. the trick is in the parrying, as it's the major mechanic of the game. in the back half of the game, most enemies will block your attacks, so you have to parry their strikes to get hits in on them, unless you get lucky with some jump slices and catching them in the middle of a surge

there was some sort of power move and I had no idea how to activate it.. the Mini does not have books for any of the games, and the in-game training mode does not feature a move list. i chose Hibiki who is a cool swordwoman with super good reach with her strong slash and the first 5 stages flew by. then i actually had to start parrying and the real game began.

i barely have the reflexes to do parries in Soulslikes, so doing parries in 2d fighting games is almost impossible unless you have in-depth knowledge of each character you fight and what their AI tendencies are. for me it's impossible. I did get some parries in, but it always felt like stupid luck because i was just guessing that an attack was about to happen. it's an input window of maybe 3-4 frames sometimes

maybe has the least interesting final boss i've encountered in an SNK game to date, which is a shame because the game otherwise rules and i won't blame my ineptitude on the game itself

other games i got a little bit into, like a couple of stages into... Garou Mark of the Wolves which is beautiful, and I'm playing as a cool pirate lady. i tried to play a couple of KOF games and I'm too stupid to even get past the first stage. real bout fatal fury nerfed my man billy kane so idk if i will play it. that just leaves samurai shodown as the last fighting game franchise on the Mini for me to play through

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you have 10 points

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ghost pilots

i dunno how this ended up being the longest game i've played on the neogeo mini to date. i wasn't expecting that from a shmup, surely, but it is a 10 stage game and the stages are as long as, well, the average 90's shmup level, so it ends up being a nearly 3 hour affair

because the mini is the AES versions, you get 4 credits to clear a stage or you have to restart the stage. this is fine until the last 3 stages when it becomes a SLOG. there are just so many enemies. it's not even the bullets that are the issue, just the over-spawning enemy waves... and your ship is not fast enough to either get to all of them or out manuever them. (the ship also controls pretty stiff as well)

the final stage is actually two stages in one that doesn't offer a 'checkpoint' as it were, and has both a three-part boss and a vertically scrolling final boss. so by the time i got down to my final continue i had to save scum to finish. no turbo button on the mini either, so a lot of rapid fire button mashing.

the other two shmups on the Mini are supposed to be a lot better (Blazing Star, and Last Resort which I saw a lot of on Nick Arcade)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bowsette's back

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

and now shes a vtuber
i bet there are a couple of bowsette vtubers

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sexrex

https://twitter.com/OnionGamers/status/1259902891998969860

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Speedrunners love games, that joke sucks.
idk they play some pretty awful games

i feel like half the reason TMR plays the lion king is so he can sing in spanish at GDQ

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that would mean that there are at least a dozen people that enjoyed pac-man 2 the new adventures (actually 20 according to speedrun.com)

e: also i enjoy pizza but if i had 10 pizzas a day for 3 years i would probably not enjoy it as much over time, and I would also be john carmack

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 12, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if i see credits the game has died and gone to heaven and i must choose anew

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have already slain 68 games this year. the choosing of the next game will be very important

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

on the 69th page i did beat the 69th game of the year, Crypt of the Necrodancer

KINDA

i got to the necrodancer and then i got tired of going through the whole zone to get to them so i just used the practice room to go right to him. took several tries to actually do it though, because the sudden 2p1c thing is out of left field and is its own whole sort of chaos to sort out

i played mostly with the danny b soundtrack and then switched over to virt in the last two zones

obviously a game like this has more to do after you finish the first complete run, playing all the different characters, etc, but idk. i saw the main content, i'm happy to move on to something else

(like maybe cadence of hyrule lol)

also i played on ps4, idk if the ps4 version is as up to date as the pc version

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if skate is as arcadey as THPS, does that mean you can launch 150 feet in the air on a half pipe, do two 720s, then land with a grind, while collecting the K in SKATE, and also you're Shrek

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

man it's a good thing people who hate open world games don't typically get to design open world games

i would not make a world any larger than the world of arkham asylum

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd be fine with partial world scaling, where the world levels up with you but not the area you last completed, so you could go back there and beat up on lower-level scrubs to grind if you wanted to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fragenstein

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what are bonedude and platedude up to these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm glad it's HD so i can see all the pores on the goombis