Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dzou Sisohvat
May 14, 2020
Ghost in the Shell / Cyberpunk / Blade Runner

Basically anything about corporation ruled societies and potentially cybernetic implants and augmentations.

Already with the rise of the international corporations that national governments have issues controlling because of lack of jurisdiction and the lack of international governance we can see this happening from the societal standpoint.

In a way modern corporations already outgrew governments and that is what worries me.

The augmentation part still has to be proven even possible but I could see it happening. Still if that was an option I would probably be down to get me some augs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzou Sisohvat
May 14, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

Nah everything core that cyberpunk was warning about already happened, the only difference is we didn't build megacities and skycars, there's no augmentations, and the corporations hired up every talented artist and marketer to make themselves as cuddly as possible.

It did happen, but the question is are we going to just become desensitized since the change is progressive and slow? When I look at the pictures of my hometown after the war I am often shocked how much has changed since then without me ever really paying much attention.

Overpopulation is a real thing and might actually lead to mega regions (it's all a matter of perspective really, New York already kind of fits the bill considering its size. Have in mind though that I am European and the biggest city I lived in had measly 1 million people)

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2010/mar/22/un-cities-mega-regions (I am full aware that Guardian is clickbait-y but I am using it just for some of the stats)

For the augs, I am inclined to agree, but merging with technology is happening daily (there are some developments in the microchip implant area that might make us more easily identifiable and enable us to pay in stores etc without actually having to carry credit or ID cards).

Actually some of the most modern implants and replacement limbs are interfaced with the nerves of the wearer to enable him to basically use the replacement limb almost as it was his real limb. It's not perfect but it enables many people to live at least a bit better life with prosthetics. Those limbs are potentially stronger and more durable.

The question is what happens when they become better?
I don't think that we are plummeting towards this future at the breakneck speed, but it's certainly a possibility with the general direction the world is moving in.

Also, I must agree that corpos of today would never accept the darker connotations and the dark image that their cyberpunk counterparts give off. PR is a strong tool, no matter what shady practices they might be involved in.

Also, no flying cars.

Sorry for the big response. I enjoy the interactions here so I wanted to at least broaden my perspective in a respectful way.