Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Broke: using strava to track patrol routes and base personnel
Woke: using untappd to track troop deployments and cia agents

Researchers Use a Beer App To Track the Military and CIA
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a32599593/beer-app-cia-tracking/

original writeup on bellingcat:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2020/05/18/military-and-intelligence-personnel-can-be-tracked-with-the-untappd-beer-app/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mustang posted:

What do you mean? In what sense?

People have lived in a lot of places for a long time and the Chinese government is young compared to a "young" country's government like the US's.

I chuckle at this, too, as the PRC government began in 1949. The US government is one of the oldest continuous governments on the planet. Most other countries are living under governments that have existed less than 100 years.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Midjack posted:

China was here before us; China will be here after we are gone, largely unchanged. They may be terrible in a lot of ways but they have staying power.
While I'm certainly no historian, much less of Chinese history, but the whole "one 5,000-year-old unified Chinese civilization" is a giant crock that has been vigorously promoted by the CCP to boost its legitimacy abroad and crush dissent and diversity among the peoples it controls.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Elliot's Emperor Qianlong and Ebrey's Emperor Huizong are interesting English-language reads into court life and helps break up the idea of a united nation. The North just kinda invaded every few centuries and took over, it was a thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

At last, we've freed ourselves from the shackles of the Open Skies Treaty, dreamt up by noted Commie sympathizer <checks notes> Dwight Eisenhower: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eklgvH3DVf4eR2I

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Madurai posted:

At last, we've freed ourselves from the shackles of the Open Skies Treaty, dreamt up by noted Commie sympathizer <checks notes> Dwight Eisenhower: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eklgvH3DVf4eR2I

All presidents before Trump were commies, pay attention!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

We were always at war with Eastasia or whatever

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Immanentized posted:

"I tested very positively today in a negative sense"
-Donald Trump May 5th, 2020

E:
"I tested very positively in another sense so— this morning. Yeah. I tested positively toward negative, right. So. I tested perfectly this morning. Meaning I tested negative."

Lmao this owns

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

So how much of this is Putin asking his puppet to continue to fracture the western alliance?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1263527248763793419

amazing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Given the pay disparity for a software engineer in most of the country it might be cost effective to have a pied a terre in the bay area to keep the higher pay and fly commercial whenever they need you to actually show up at the office.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So Facebook is getting BAH?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
This is going to be one of those things where the money they take back from paycuts will be lost paying to enforce the new policy and increased turnover. Corporate america is so loving stupid.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They’re doing the same goddamn work. It doesn’t matter if they’re in Wichita or Monterey.

Jesus gently caress what a thundercunt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thwomp posted:

They’re doing the same goddamn work. It doesn’t matter if they’re in Wichita or Monterey.

Jesus gently caress what a thundercunt.

For market total comp for a senior SDE in Wichita is like $110k. In the bay area its more like $300k. This is about a LOT of money.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

hobbesmaster posted:

For market total comp for a senior SDE in Wichita is like $110k. In the bay area its more like $300k. This is about a LOT of money.

There’s a problem here, and it’s not the FB employee’s salaries.

E: for the record I am becoming more and more anti-capitalism every day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Being in a job closer to the former category than the latter I agree but thats how things currently are and why they're being lovely about it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

Facebook sucks, but it really does matter regarding compensation vs location. Cutting after the fact is lovely, but I’d take a job for a given salary in a cheaper location but refuse the same job/pay in downtown NYC or SF or whatever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gonna be a lot of people renting below market closets in fancy nieghborhoods to keep that address.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
What's to stop people from just renting PO boxes in the Bay Area and setting it up for forwarding? The gently caress is Zuck gonna do, demand copies of leases?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

What's to stop people from just renting PO boxes in the Bay Area and setting it up for forwarding? The gently caress is Zuck gonna do, demand copies of leases?

"Hello employee, your company issued cell phone has not been geolocated at your address of record for the past 72 hours? Should we call emergency services for a possible kidnapping or send you a resignation template for defrauding and embezzling company funds?"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Gonna be a lot of people renting below market closets in fancy nieghborhoods to keep that address.

Bet you a VC is already spinning up a fake address service to pay for ala 30 Wall Street or whatever the cursed address was

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah?

I mean, they want all sorts of information from ordinary users of The FaceBook.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Presumably making them show up at the office a few days a week if they're in town officially?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hobbesmaster posted:

Presumably making them show up at the office a few days a week if they're in town officially?

It's this, you make people come into the office.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KirbyKhan posted:

"Hello employee, your company issued cell phone has not been geolocated at your address of record for the past 72 hours? Should we call emergency services for a possible kidnapping or send you a resignation template for defrauding and embezzling company funds?"

"I'm being held hostage by a red headed pasty skinned nerd who can't feel empathy and doesn't understand consent, can you send the police right away?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BigDave posted:

"I'm being held hostage by a red headed pasty skinned nerd who can't feel empathy and doesn't understand consent, can you send the police right away?"

I can totally believe that Facebook wouldn’t validate the address before siccing the pigs.

No one make the CEOs address your own address of record.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Easy. "Hello employee, we need your current residential address in order to properly file payroll taxes and generate your W-2."

Even if you can get mail at a street address, your home state tax agency will not be happy with you. Although if you live in an income-tax-free state :texas: and don't mind paying California's rate, no harm no foul besides a little light perjury maybe?

(On the other hand, a FB engineer makes good money but not "play games with the taxman" money.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Therapist:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
drat, of course TMZ gets the shot.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1263590651582509058

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Easy. "Hello employee, we need your current residential address in order to properly file payroll taxes and generate your W-2."

Even if you can get mail at a street address, your home state tax agency will not be happy with you. Although if you live in an income-tax-free state :texas: and don't mind paying California's rate, no harm no foul besides a little light perjury maybe?

(On the other hand, a FB engineer makes good money but not "play games with the taxman" money.)

"Did you earn any income outside of the state during the 2019-2020 tax year?" Even being (potentially) double dicked by state taxes is probably made up in a couple weeks of not paying Bay Area cost of living.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Media: Today is the day Donald became most presidential

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1263551045977780224

The primary process was basically going to Baskin Robbins and gazing at all the different flavors and saying "hmm yes, I'll have a scoop of vanilla with an extra scoop of vanilla"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1263551045977780224

The primary process was basically going to Baskin Robbins and gazing at all the different flavors and saying "hmm yes, I'll have a scoop of vanilla with an extra scoop of vanilla"

She's the best of the worst

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Didn't know there was a Ford plant in the 30 mile zone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'll steal the commentary of Gin and Tacos on the Klobuchar thing:

quote:

The klobuchar thing is a non-story. It is an announcement that she is being “vetted” by the campaign. Unless the campaign is even dumber than anyone can imagine, many people are being vetted. Most likely someone close to Klobuchar leaked this to generate attention, or the biden campaign leaked it as a trial balloon.

It's just usual veepstakes poo poo and not a sign of absolutely anything. Hell, I think Warren and Abrams have already done campaign events with Biden, Cortez-Masto is on the shortlist, Harris too, Baldwin got some play the other day, and who knows how many others.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's extremely cool that we're calling it "veepstakes" like a it's a loving game show.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

She's the best of the worst

Vetting is when they have interns stand against a wall and have the Klob throw staplers and binders at them. If she hits above a certain %, she'll take the role.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's extremely cool that we're calling it "veepstakes" like a it's a loving game show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHtnutB-06o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

I'll steal the commentary of Gin and Tacos on the Klobuchar thing:

It's just usual veepstakes poo poo and not a sign of absolutely anything. Hell, I think Warren and Abrams have already done campaign events with Biden, Cortez-Masto is on the shortlist, Harris too, Baldwin got some play the other day, and who knows how many others.

Yeah it's pretty much this. Campaigns vet anywhere from 3-5 people for final consideration and upwards of a dozen or so before that.

Also this is likely getting leaked by Klobs people, which...is not good for her. Long story short, it might be her and her people trying to get her ahead of Warren, Harris, Abrams, everyone else. Problem is, it tells Biden and his people her team can't be trusted to not leak poo poo

But hey we live in hellworld so watch Biden pick her anyways..

Fister Roboto posted:

Also this.