Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BUG JUG posted:

Professional historian take: best practice for HS history -- if it's general US, and students are getting an hour a day -- should start in 1609 and get to the American Revolution in 2 weeks, 3 if you want to do a unit on colonial slavery (which I think you can usually push off to the Antebellum with minimal loss of understanding). From there 4 weeks to the Civil War. Another 3-4 weeks to get to 1900, and then the rest of the class should essentially be the American Century up until 2001. I.e.: you should get to 1900 by Christmas break at the latest.

You need all that early poo poo to help understand how the system we live in functions (and why it does things the way it does) but really, yeah if you're trying to get kids to understand the US, the more recent the better. Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

I've often thought about teaching a course where the history is told in reverse. Start at the present day and work backwards but I've never figured out a good way to do it.

When I was in high school.the Georgia legislature was debating having US history jump from the revolutionary war straight to reconstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My world history teacher was from Boston who served 20 years in navy intelligence before becoming a southern high school football coach who taught history on the side. He had a way of making every class a story instead of a list of facts. He also dunked hard on the states rights kids when we got to the Atlantic slave trade.

He's also one of the two vets who told me I was a loving idiot for wanting to throw away a college scholarship to enlist after 9-11. Thank Yahweh, Christ, Allah, Vishnu, Ahura Mazda, Loki, Quetzalcoatl etc. That I listened to them instead of my chud uncles who apparently still tell the family I'm not a real man because I didn't enlist in the marines.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The past couple decades have seen incredible advances in mathematics and computing plus billions spent on satellites and supercomputers resulting in long-range forecasts of such accurate that meteorologist of the WWII era would accuse you of witchcraft.

Meanwhile that entire infrastructure is crumbling from lack of investment and the EU is overtaking the US because they have newer satellites and supercomputers.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Liftoff scheduled for 1522 EDT, TV coverage starting at 1100 EDT.