Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The "reopen everything" freaks were always going to have to confront the idea that people just will not loving go to these businesses no matter how much they shriek, and further federal assistance will be necessary. Whatever big crowds they get on the first day are not going to be sustainable.

Once again the rhetoric paid for by right wing PACs fails to withstand reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh I don't think the Democrats' lack of messaging will manage to cover over the fact that people just don't want to loving go do stupid small business poo poo in a pandemic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well that’s ominous

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MODEL PREDICTS GREATER THAN 1 MILLION CASES PER DAY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Want to know how toxic the armed protests are?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1257482269092020224

That toxic.

Is Donald about to back down from psyching these people up?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

drat, Grimes and her boyfriend couldn’t even retain title of weirdest name for like 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/thejewishdream/status/1257672700383936514?s=21

Please, call me Skin. Mr Hunger is my father’s name.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 6, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They'll just waive it but why the hell would they even make themselves have to go through the trouble? You already have to do a pulmonary function test if you have a history of breathing issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ok y'all gotta stop doing the race prediction thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

well poo poo, when you put it like that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

So I saw someone post (it got lost in a random refresh) that the new PresSec has a whole bunch of old Social Media posts that are... Unflattering to Trump.

Will she keep her job? Or will she go Way of the Mooch? Find out next Infrastructure Week.

Like, on MySpace or something? These people are usually at least smart enough to purge their Twitter accounts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Picture the loving scene right now holy poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

That time Hyundai did a super bowl spot about a guy trying to kill himself in the garage with a clean-burning hydrogen IX35

That owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait I thought the conspiracy chuds were pointing at the CDC as the authoritive source because it was showing lower, out-of-date numbers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somebody must've stopped paying the bill because the comments are all making GBS threads on Trump

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The drunk bum who yelled at me in the liquor store last night was wearing a surgical mask lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Jordan Weissmann (@JHWeissmann) Tweeted:
In case you were wondering how the reopening is going down south. https://t.co/xneL4Pelci https://twitter.com/JHWeissmann/status/1259903233994248193?s=20

A rip roaring economic return!

Predictably, the rhetoric has shifted to calling people shut-in cowards for not going out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Oh word? Wow pack it in we aren't patriots, guys. I'm sharing this because I've hit my top out on poo poo talking to vets because of being the "wrong type" and needed to vent.

Yeah I'm taking a bit of a break from flaming the shitheads on Facebook over this garbage. It's funny how frothy they get when you use the "snowflake" rhetoric against them, and also how quickly they resort to making decorum arguments once you start mocking the conspiracy theories.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

Jesus Christ, are Republicans on any Congressional committee trained on how to be as argumentative and petty as possible? This guy just tried to make it look like Dr. Bright is defrauding the US taxpayers because he's at the hearing while on leave, and had previously been on medical leave while preparing for the hearing. Like, what is the purpose of trying to attack this guy? Do they WANT the US to keep being unprepared?

Yeah I turned it off after listening to this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I read a story where a nurse was testing positive something like 40 days after getting over it, and another where people tested positive after several negative tests. I think our tests are just not good enough.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This particular type of dicking has been completely routine since they started doing 179 day tours

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

So on my news app I've noticed that lots of conservatives title their articles stuff like "Tucker Carlson: I'm a loving idiot and here's why". They're the only group of people that I've noticed that put their names into article titles, including lots of people I've never heard of.

People who consume right wing media are big into cults of personality. They don't appreciate news, they appreciate Hannity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

R0 is just based on observed positive tests, right? So our lack of testing would contribute to a lower R0, as would any positive impact of social distancing, masks, and shutdowns?

I think it's a number based on mathematical models using the observed characteristics of the disease and how the infection works, not real world testing data. It would be impossible to determine an actual R0 from our state case data because it would be so variable.

For example, if they used Colorado's data from the last month the R0 would be <1.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 22, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Well, that's not going to help against the "Models are just fake!" crowd.

Eh, it's not for the public. It's for scientists who can get some use out of "If you model a human as a frictionless sphere in a vacuum, and he has a 10% chance of contracting it, a 5% chance of being asymptomatic, and a 7% chance of spreading a week in..." and so on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, to live in a place where that’s a top scandal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I can’t imagine it would be a problem unless you’re in one of Those Career Fields. The stuff on Something Awful isn’t more radical than what you’d find on Facebook or Twitter. Granted it slants left instead of right which... oh...

Yep, this is why I never really post about my job. The most insane, violent right wing rhetoric is a-ok on Facebook but associating with mild leftism is risky. I’ve had a guy on internal chat threaten to report me as a security clearance risk because I suggested that cops should act like heroes if they wanted to be treated like them (after one of those shootings of an unarmed person), and that was the last I ever chatted on there.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 24, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yesterday I saw a guy say he was upset that there were so few remaining COVID patients in Colorado hospitals because we should've been keeping them full to build up herd immunity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thank you master chief

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is a nonsense defense because there is an existing process for sole source justifications and mechanisms to gauge the ability of industry to meet contract requirements before you even issue an RFP. He would have been aware of these.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Getting drunk at his computer and loving around with guns makes me think this guy has made way more than one mistake in the last few months of his life

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is 100% not a given that developing a nuclear bomb was a required step along the way to exploiting nuclear power. A society not on a wartime footing might have gone straight to energy production/resiliency.

Kind of like how renewable energy adoption might have gone a lot differently in the US if not for very non-technological reasons related to keeping the correct people rich.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 26, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Government/university partnerships in basic research and civil applications are already a thing so it's not unimaginable to think of expanding the resources in those programs instead of funneling everything through the DoD (which also does university partnerships).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

hi, i work in computers and webs and study their history. the DOD almost entirely stopped funding fruitful basic research in our field when ARPA became DARPA. it's good for governments to conduct research, and not good to manage the funding and evaluate the results of such research as part of "Defense."

i also think it's pretty defeatist to think that say, we were only ever going to get nuclear power through nuclear warfare or national space programs as testbeds and PR campaigns for ICBM strategies, even if it's obvious that's what happened.

It's not really defeatist it's like "this is how it happened therefore this is how it must happen" which is probably something on the massive list of cognitive biases. The balance of investment through the DoD is obviously something we can change in the future if we at least recognize that warfare is just a way to stimulate research, not the way.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 26, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you break a single window it's a tragedy, if you break a million windows all at once an economic stimulus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People drive Teslas like loving idiots in a brand new way because of their insane torque and acceleration curve

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MRC48B posted:

The even worse part is they should have learned from when several other auto manufacturers made a similar mistake 15 years ago.

(several models of euro luxury car would lock you out if the battery died)

but hey, move fast, kill people break things, disrupt the market.

There was some recent fancy-looking BMW that had a bizarre way to manually open the doors that I would never be able to figure out for the first time in an emergency

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pretty happy with the degree of mask wear compliance I'm seeing with these rioters tbh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is why you pick corporate stores over family-owned small businesses

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They'll hang these guys out to dry while quietly resisting any and every attempt to institute meaningful policy changes and independent investigatory bodies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm planning to smash capitalism by not preordering the new Diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

trump rolled out of bed at 1am to tweet that he wants Kent State 2?