Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I thought the CIA was barred from operating domestically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

Same, and after the AP exam, my teacher would basically alternate between doing deep dives on whatever topic we had an interest in and civics materials. We watched all of Band of Brothers in class over the course of a few days, and he also invited a cop (not our rear end in a top hat, moto school resource officer) to come in and do a Q&A with the class. The cop basically said that you'd be an idiot to answer any police questions and all but directly implied that our SRO got that job because no one wanted to work with him.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Xpost to the coronavirus thread:

The Washington Post has a very long story about how Trump has continually downplayed the extent and severity of the COVID outbreak, and how the cadre of sycophants he’s surrounded himself with have also influenced his delusions. The whole thing is staggeringly damning and well worth the read.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1257594058517684225

I can only hope that there’s some arcane secret society that will be keeping watch over Musk’s kid to make sure he doesn’t fulfill some prophecy and become Baphaelizar, Cybernetic Devourer of Worlds, or at least stop him from jamming his head up his own rear end like his dad has repeatedly done.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Grimes - tears from mars

gently caress

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Better him than Grimes' music, I guess.

I don't know what her music sounds like, but I'm assuming it's various shrieks mixed poorly over out of tune mixer poo poo.

She’s an eccentric but super creative musician. Her second to last album Art Angels was a pretty good listen, even if that type of music isn’t usually my cup of tea.

Her last album was a pile of self-indulgent garbage about AI and the “fun side of climate change” so I’m just gonna pretend that she quit after her last album, just like how Weezer broke up after Pinkerton.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that Green Berets are supposed to be the Top .01% of soldiers in the US Army with the fact that one of these Silvercorps clowns tried to invade Venezuela with an airsoft rifle.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A grad school friend of mine, a Taiwanese woman who *hates* China for somewhat obvious reasons, sent our WhatsApp group of alumni friends a link to that “Plandemic” “documentary” that alleges that the race to find a COVID vaccine is a plan by Fauci to make pharmaceutical companies rich. It’s anti-vax pseudoscience at its most deceptive and lovely so you can expect it to take off and spread like wildfire over the next few days and weeks.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why someone hasn’t given Andrew Wakefield a stern talking to and sent him to his room without dinner for being so naughty. That big bully has a lot of blood on his hands for kicking off the modern anti-vax movement.

Edit: done. Anti-vaxxers just piss me off so much. I’ve been to too many places where children die from preventable illnesses due to lack of vaccines, and these gullible Westerners with the privilege of being able to reject medical science with minimal personal consequence are the loving worst.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 7, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Right wing shitbags like Andy Ngo are already sounding the “he was no angel” trumpet so you can expect the right wing media to earnestly argue that he had it coming anyhow despite being unarmed and very much not committing a crime at the time when he was shot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey Avshalom rereg, hope you find your keys and your day gets better.

My storage unit at my condo holds all of my camping/outdoor gear, which is considerable. Also, if a former 18D asks for help in clearing out their storage unit, do it- if you don’t come away with a bunch of cool poo poo, you’ll at least get to hear a lot of interesting stories.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Of all of the people left standing from day one in the Trump administration, it’s most alarming that Betsy De Vos and Stephen Miller have their jobs. God only knows what they’re doing in the shadows.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1259561821289226248

Having another normal one today.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thomamelas posted:

A lawyer who was a friend of theirs leaked it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/ahmaud-arbery-video-lawyer.html

He thought it would stop a riot. The lawyer was concerned about rumors the truck had Confederate flags and thought the video would exonerate the racists. Upon reflection, he may not be a lawyer you want to use.

quote:

At times during the interview, a woman could be heard in the background whispering suggested answers to Mr. Tucker.
By Friday afternoon, Mr. Tucker said that it had been decided that he would not be retained as the lawyer for either of the McMichaels, and it was unclear who was representing them.

Holy poo poo this guy makes Lionel Hutz look like Perry Mason. Usually one gets a lawyer to stay out of jail, not end up there.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

LingcodKilla posted:

TFR nitpicked the gear a little and the New Black Panthers are apparently not cool with Jews so bleh.

Still I appreciate what they doing right now.

What thread did they do a gear breakdown in?

And yeah, there’s a weird anti-Semitic strain in a lot of Black nationalist groups these days like NBPP and more egregiously in the Black Hebrew Israelite movement. The latter were present at last year’s standoff between the stupid CHUD teenager and the native Vietnam vet and reportedly instigated the whole thing.

Personally I’m glad there’s a group committed to community self-defense in that area but man they need to ditch that Farrakhan poo poo like yesterday.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Open carry is so loving dumb outside of a deep backcountry context where the only “two legged predator” you have to worry about is a huge grizzly bear rearing up on its legs because it’s about to eat you. Otherwise, if you’re at the point where militias openly brandishing weapons for the sake of community defense is a thing you need, then you’re pretty much at “condition: gently caress the law” to begin with.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Deathy McDeath posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

I think “Quck” being an ugly mashup of the forbidden c-word and Quc, a common Vietnamese last name.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Buttcoin purse posted:

And if you're like me and didn't get that, you just think it's just a mis-spelling of "quack", the noise a duck makes, so it's like the ultimate dogwhistle (duckwhistle?).

It's 2020 and given that aspiring Shitlers try to make every word carry some sort of racist codeword, I kind of just assume the worst about any neologism until proven otherwise. Also my wife is Asian-American so I'm kind of especially sensitive to that poo poo. My bad, everyone.

Also, there's some sort of large fire going on in downtown LA right now. 10 firefighters reportedly injured.

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/status/1261841902153990144

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

stealie72 posted:

I can't be the only one that wakes up at 3AM and looks at the number of new posts to make sure the world is still ok-ish before rolling over and going back to sleep, right?

If I wake up to see like 75 new posts in the CE thread appeared overnight, I assume that one of three things happened: 1. A dumb slap fight over something 2. An interesting derail where I learn something new from the posts or 3. The precursors to an event that could be the beginning of World War Three, such as when Trump killed Soleimani back in January.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was the dink derail number 2?

Considering how I participated in that one, no, it was not.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There’s a self-own and then there’s taking off your shoe, pissing in it, then using it to club yourself in the dick repeatedly while shrieking about owning the libs. This is the latter.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Trump sent a letter to the head of the WHO threatening to cut all US funding to the organization and leave it over WHO being too close to China. Because nothing says “principled global leadership” better than threatening the body that allows for sharing of information and coordinating a global response.

Goddamn I hate this year and what the US has become.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Trump having yet another normal one over Twitter, first going after Michigan, then Nevada, for offering up mail-in ballots for the elections.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263094958417985538

It’s really something how the Republican Party isn’t even pretending that the only way they can win elections long-term is to suppress turnout by whatever means necessary.

Also Trump seems to be back-handed to calling for Joe Scarborough to be attested or killed or something for reasons I don’t care enough to dig into.

Hail 2020, may the passing of toxic sludge flood water cleans the earth.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah well, Scooby Doo Can Doo-Doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter.

I really appreciate this reference.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Reportedly two people down but the event is over. Hopefully no more than that and someone stomped the shooter’s skull in.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1263551045977780224

The primary process was basically going to Baskin Robbins and gazing at all the different flavors and saying "hmm yes, I'll have a scoop of vanilla with an extra scoop of vanilla"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Doc Hawkins posted:

:laffo: against Biden?

I don't think there will be Trump/Biden debates because they would be too funny and I don't count on the universe being kind. But if they did happen Trump would tee off on the guy.

Right-wing op-eds are already claiming that the debates will be biased against Trump so something tells me he’ll refuse to debate, Biden will be ok with it because coronavirus and both will be able to lean back and say “you know what I’m about, vote for the other guy if you don’t like it.”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Woofer posted:

Manned space flights doesn’t sound like a good idea. I don’t think there’s anything on earth immune to the stupidity that is 2020.

They’re gonna stumble on a black hole that opens the gates of hell like Event Horizon or something.

2020: the year we killed the moon with Coronavirus

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have you ever noticed how dumb most gun morons are

If you know how to use a gun, cool.
If your hobby involves shooting a gun, cool.
If for whatever reason you feel the need to responsibly carry a gun in a defensive capacity, cool.
If your profession involves carrying a gun, (ideally only to be used in defense of innocent life), cool.
If you publicly center your identity around gun ownership or carrying one as a civilian and feel the need to advertise it via dumb stunts or demonstrations, gently caress off. You’re a liability to all and not an asset to anyone.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

LingcodKilla posted:

Disgusting.

I'm sure Trump will add some fuel to the fire shortly.

Prayers UP for the brave police officer who subdued a criminal so hard that he sprained his knee!

The MPD murder of a black man dovetails horrifically with Central Park Karen calling 911 and threatening state violence on a black dude for pointing out that she was in the wrong.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Man, do I ever have the feeling that there’s some weird and bad poo poo coming down the pike right now. Things kind of seem like they’re approaching a boiling point, and a second spoke of COVID in combination with increased social tension is only going to raise,the temperature ever higher.

I dunno what it looks like but I get the feeling that it’s not going to be a pleasant summer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

BigDave posted:

I unsubscribed from the Worst Year Ever podcast because I got sick of Robert Evan's unique brand of emotionally lazy nihlism? :shrug:

That podcast isn’t great. It’s had its moments and they’ve had some interesting content but it’s pretty clear to me that Evans is the only one of the hosts who really has the journalistic and analytical chops to carry the podcast; when he’s out of his element then sometimes I do feel like he slides into nihilism.

Behind the Bastards is much better; It Could Happen Here was REALLY good. I haven’t listened to his new one about Rojava but I’ve heard it’s good.

Also he’s a goon, mostly posts in TFR.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That Works posted:

Oh wild, which goon? Just curious because I read the fascism/racism thread in TFR regularly and was curious. I'd had Behind the Bastards recommended to me quite a bit, haven't checked it out yet but plan to.

Gunfondler42069 (NICE!)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=225951

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Expect tomorrow to be really loving dumb; it was going to be anyway but especially because of this

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1265798705606770688

But hey

https://twitter.com/seanoconnz/status/1265793949374902273

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We have as many active cases as we have deaths

Hey everyone, check me out, my life is an idyllic ferry ride with beautiful white shepherds and other great dogs lulled into a state of sublime bliss in knowing that my government cares about the welfare of its citizens and acts accordingly, aren’t I just so rad?

:smithicide:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

On the lighter side of this horrible hosed up week, here's the two best tweets about Amy Cooper that I've found:

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1265345354775646210

https://twitter.com/merrythedog/status/1265532405865119744

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, stick a comb in her VP aspirations, she’s done. There’s no buffing this one out of your record.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Does anyone have any info on what specific measures were in place at this Target that were its testing ground for surveillance and loss prevention? I googled earlier but couldn’t find much.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Some break, you rear end in a top hat. Have a nice doggy and kitty instead.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Fallom posted:

the president of the United States switched to his alt to keep shitposting

im permabanned poster democratstomper58. i first started reading Twitter when i was about 62. by 64 i got really obsessed with the concept of “MAGA” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “Lying Crooked Hillary’s emails” and “Democrat deep state plot” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically frontotemporal dementia and narcissistic personality disorder. im now on hyrdroxychloroquine. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of Twitter humor was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” Twitter to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

US is cutting its relationship with WHO.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1266443289118547970

This stupid loving President.