Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm still baffled that Tesla isn't a Theranos situation and they have been producing and selling a popular product for years. All of Musk's behavior would indicate the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

My mom posted the following Puerto Rican spanish idiom: "Habian muchos y pario la abuela"

Translated literary means "There were a lot and now grandma is giving birth"

Proper english interpretation would be "This is loving bullshit and i am sick and tired of this poo poo"

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Hahahhaaha that’s awesome. I started a language learning app that includes idioms, will be on the lookout for that

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. I'd argue that the protests would be even worse, as the protestors would be raging against a Democratic Antichrist president. Which is all the more reason I'm pissed off at Trump, as he could contain a lot of this bullshit if he would yell at his supporters to stay the gently caress home. But alas, cheddarbrain.

Also, y'all should go look at those CDC documents that just leaked to the NYT - they basically know poo poo's getting worse and is probably close to an explosion. I can't link it here for reasons, but someone else here could!

Here's the text:

quote:

The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the C.D.C. warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways as the health care system grew overloaded.

“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected,” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”

On Sunday, Mr. Trump said deaths in the United States could reach 100,000, twice as many as he had forecast just two weeks ago. But his new estimate still underestimates what his own administration is now predicting to be the total death toll by the end of May — much less in the months that follow. It follows a pattern for Mr. Trump, who has frequently understated the impact of the disease.

“We’re going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people,” he said in a virtual town hall on Fox News. “That’s a horrible thing. We shouldn’t lose one person over this.”

Mr. Gottlieb said Americans “may be facing the prospect that 20,000, 30,000 new cases a day diagnosed becomes the new normal.”

Some states that have partially reopened are still seeing an increase in coronavirus cases, including Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee and Texas, according to Times data. Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska and Arizona also are seeing an increase in cases and are planning on some kind of reopening soon. Alaska has also reopened and is seeing a small number of increasing cases.

While the country has stabilized, it has not really improved, as shown by data collected by The Times. Case and death numbers remain stuck on a numbing, tragic plateau that is tilting only slightly downward.

At least 1,000 people with the virus, and sometimes more than 2,000, have died every day for the last month. On a near-daily basis, at least 25,000 new cases of the virus are being identified across the country. And even as New York City, New Orleans and Detroit have shown improvement, other urban centers, including Chicago and Los Angeles, are reporting steady growth in cases.

The situation has devolved most dramatically in parts of rural America that were largely spared in the early stages of the pandemic. As food processing facilities and prisons have emerged as some of the country’s largest case clusters, the counties that include Logansport, Ind., South Sioux City, Neb., and Marion, Ohio, have surpassed New York City in cases per capita.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html

Here is the PDF link to the full CDC report: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6926-mayhhsbriefing/af7319f4a55fd0ce5dc9/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I do risk for a living. My firm advises some of the biggest financial, defense, pharmaceutical and energy partnerships in the country. The closer to capital you get, the less political things get, and the more freely information is shared.

Everything I see professionally is projecting the same thing. We're going to see a 300k+ dead by Christmas of this year. Mostly in the southern/midwestern states that are just bullrushing into reopening.

These places are sacrificing their people at the altar of unproven and unreliable economic recovery, and it's high bullshit.

For sure, and rushing to reopen is such a pointless and idiotic exercise. People treat it like driving to work when there is ten feet of snow on the road.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That may likely be true, especially as they have no revenue coming in and massive ships idling. I wonder if their strategy of not being US flagged will be a fatal blow, as that kept them from grabbing early relief funds and there isn't much political support for bailing out a foreign owned firm. Especially as they are in no way an essential business.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1257814281330069504

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dammit it’s HIPAA not HIPPA. This flyer may be flawed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

A bit more information:

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1258424817486901249?s=19

So Donnie immediately got tested, but it came back negative - as it likely would if Donnie got dosed only in the previous few days. It should be a fun week or two tracking his public appearances.

Is there any doubt if he tested positive and didn't require hospitalization that he'd refuse to admit it? He won't even wear glasses in public, let alone a mask. Hell even if he did require hospitalization they'd still have a ham fisted coverup.

100% chance multiple other autocratic leaders have already tested positive but kept it quiet, like in Brazil or Iran.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’m in WA, one of my roommates in 2010 was from rural Oregon. When I tried to fill out the census I got a lecture about the Rothsteins controlling the world.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

in other current events, Ethan Hawke is making a John Brown miniseries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s

I'm scare-cited

Oh nice! First Reformed was one of my favorite recent movies. How the heck Green Book won best screenplay and Hawke wasn't even nominated for Best Actor was baffling.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hahaha that's like low budget sports movies that try to fill out arena crowds with cardboard standees and sometimes the camera pans too high and it looks bizarre.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

When the second wave hits gonna be a real whodunnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

dollars to doughnuts its because barrack ain't white.

Getting flashbacks to early 2010s when I pressed an evangelical about why Obama wasn't a Christian. "he just isn't"