Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mlmp08 posted:

I’m starting to think these people aren’t just hankering for a haircut!

wow can we please tone down the guillotine jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

one of my high school history teachers was my sister and our father had been chief foreign correspondent for Latin America for the new york times, and during shall we say The Interesting Years. he pushed the line a few times in a few places, had to spend some time in the embassy in chile once, to not be whatevered. lately he's been trading emails with a history phd candidate in rio about journalism under the military government in Brazil, which he also reported on.

i remember finally realizing no one else my age knew that the cia had mined civilian harbors in Nicaragua. the fact that they had did not upset me at the time. i didn't even think they were still doing war crimes any more, just like how i didn't think the army was still running the trail of tears. i just thought it was normal thing to know about. but some people would get angry and try to make me take it back, like i was telling them a scary story and they were five years old instead of eighteen.

i understand now that i was hurting them, and i do regret it, but i'm more sad that they were left so vulnerable, so unprepared for reality. history is a weapon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since we know the base is already on board, this is appeal to fence sitting racists, yes?

it's to answer the general election ads for biden which characterize trump as soft on china

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

1) That new CDC model was bad/incomplete and CDC never should've included it in any kind of official slide deck (I believe this, as the CDC has been hollowed the gently caress out of anyone with a brain)

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257392630331293696

i wouldn't trust nate silver to tell me what color the sky will be tomorrow, but i sure hope you're right

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Godholio posted:

Are those the WH's projections?

it's from the leaked and linked cdc report

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Maduro is not the one signing the checks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:what:

https://twitter.com/SilvercorpUsa/status/1257098586409644032

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, over the last 40 years or so it's kind of assumed there are people with guns being paid by the US running around everywhere in Latin America, isn't it? If it turned out the CIA and DEA weren't paying contractors in Venezuela that would be more surprising.

yeah but how many of them publicly tweeted their insertion at the president?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i had missed this detail:

https://twitter.com/Moondog89775605/status/1257557952782831618

always get it in writing friends

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

delta f-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Farce

aw, man

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

one of the central tasks of police in the us is the production of white supremacy, most gun control laws are passed with the explicit intent of bolstering their ability to do this, but of course selective enforcement lets many laws serve that purpose

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

brains posted:

bay of piss

that's the one

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/mercenaries-arrested-after-alleged-failed-coup-in-venezuela.html

Has this already come up yet because lol at tweeting about doing a bay of pigs while en route.

i posted their tweet @ donald but the events remain current

i read the ap article the day it came out and then when i first heard about the arrests i actually thought "wow, an even smaller and worse-prepared group beat them to it"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that Green Berets are supposed to be the Top .01% of soldiers in the US Army with the fact that one of these Silvercorps clowns tried to invade Venezuela with an airsoft rifle.

attribute no mystique to elites imo

e: i mean here we are talking about elon loving musk

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 6, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Notahippie posted:

Sci-fi author Charles Stross has a throwaway line in one of his books about a British SOF guy who is described as something like "scrawny in the way of British special forces, rather than the oxes that the US bred" and it struck me as being both weirdly accurate in my experience and also something I never heard anybody say before. The only UK SOF guys I ever knew were Royal Marine Commandos and were built like whippets, where as the US guys I know all have solid builds.

it's like with sumo, the village with the biggest fighters has proven that they have the biggest agricultural surplus

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

heckuva job nick

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

now i want a mask with a gold fringe

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

That time Hyundai did a super bowl spot about a guy trying to kill himself in the garage with a clean-burning hydrogen IX35

i didn't believe you so i looked it up. it only ran in britain, but gently caress me for thinking it had to be a parody. nope, an in-house ad agency, jfc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can whole countries get darwin awards

they'd have to die first

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

people said it couldn't be done, but we finally have a quarantine mass shooting :patriot:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

lol, good one

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

wow, jealous much?

(you may want to edit that)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

article doesn't mention anyone making postcards, seems pretty open and shut

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Lynching or alternative law enforcement? We post you decide

in related news

https://twitter.com/redfishstream/status/1259803413359067138

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, with any properly planned urban area with actual density, though, you typically have a couple dozen burger options within 20 minutes by foot.

Unfortunately, the car has reigned supreme in our urban planning since WW2, so most American cities are terribly, terribly planned.

yeah, i could throw a rock from my roof to hit my nearest burger place

i only drive to leave town, it's great

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sanders probably negotiated being absent instead of going on record as voting for it so that in return he would get...?

what a waste, that guy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

current event: penciling a rewatch into my schedule

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i prefer to imagine what it would be like to live in a society whose resources were democratically controlled

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

another victory for freedom

Michigan Cancels Legislative Session to Avoid Armed Protesters

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

in this house

we DON'T quarter troops

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

If Pelosi really wanted to say something that doesn't make her sound like a loving child, she'd tell Donny to suck her dick on live television.

i wouldn't make that exact suggestion, but yeah, she sucks at insults. just say he's a big fat fatty that you can tell wears a diaper, and that you saw him poo poo himself and could smell it.

e: 'morbidly obese,' it's what a doctor nerd would say, these people have learned nothing from the past ten years, much less the last three years. although in pelosi's defense, she's set for life, there's no need to actually do anything.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Ok, so forget facebook itself for a second, cause that seems kind of third rail. If the basic cost of simply existing (zero luxury, profit, savings) is 40K/year in one place and 20K/year another place, then it makes sense to compensate people proportionate to cost of living.

what would make sense is compensating people in proportion to the value they give the company, which presumably doesn't vary too much depending on their zip code.

letting companies make salary proportionate to CoL harms every worker (though it harms me less since i am a (non-facebook) cloud-moron in SF).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i am not convinced my contributions are three times more precious than they would be if i lived in des moines

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

PeterCat posted:

I watched those debates and she didn't win.

maybe its a berenstain berenstein thing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Abongination posted:

Trump will refuse to debate, claim media hunts etc.

He’s better off holding rallies and he knows it.

:laffo: against Biden?

I don't think there will be Trump/Biden debates because they would be too funny and I don't count on the universe being kind. But if they did happen Trump would tee off on the guy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

one
hundred
thousand

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Godholio posted:

How do you like using that electronic miniaturized computer to post on the world wide webs? Or GPS? Etc. The DOD is probably the single largest investor in high tech R&D in the history of the planet. Yeah it starts for bombs but ends up in your pocket, or your operating room, or your car not too long after.

hi, i work in computers and webs and study their history. the DOD almost entirely stopped funding fruitful basic research in our field when ARPA became DARPA. it's good for governments to conduct research, and not good to manage the funding and evaluate the results of such research as part of "Defense."

i also think it's pretty defeatist to think that say, we were only ever going to get nuclear power through nuclear warfare or national space programs as testbeds and PR campaigns for ICBM strategies, even if it's obvious that's what happened.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labour. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Personally, I'd argue that the question of "Should we have robust social services" and "Should we have a gigantic bloated military" aren't mutually exclusive. The United States is an immensely rich and powerful country, and we can absolutely afford to implement a much more vast and comprehensive safety net on top of our existing defense expenditures—especially given that many social programs (Such as food stamps) ultimately generate more revenue than they expend. The challenge there is convincing enough people that protecting, educating, and raising up their fellow citizens isn't a burden, but an opportunity.

With regard to defense spending, the question there that needs to be asked is: What are we trying to do, and what are the long-term and short-term costs of doing so? If we want the US to maintain a global posture with the ability to strike anywhere at nearly any time, with force projection abilities unrivaled by any other country in history, then that's going to be extremely loving expensive and instead of considering arbitrary cuts, we should instead weigh the costs and benefits of doing so, or otherwise consider targeted cuts or reforms to shave the budget without degrading the capabilities that we want the military to have.

the dream of the 90s is alive in gip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the weirdest goon podcast i've ever listened to is definitely getfiscal's You Can't Win. they might as well have called it "liberalstomper69".