Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When your capitalism meter rolls over to zero

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1256239815256797184

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1256244240281001984?s=21

I’m starting to think these people aren’t just hankering for a haircut!

Nah, I'm sure they just think "Arbeit macht frei" translates to "Arby's makes fries" and they really want to dine-in on roast beef and horsey sauce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When I was in 8th grade (late '90s) we had to take a Louisiana History class. When we got to the civil rights era our teacher brought photos of herself in blackface performing in a minstrel show sometime in the '50s.

We also learned about how kids had to buy their own schoolbooks every year until Huey Long made free textbooks a campaign issue. Caddo Parish fought him on it so he threatened to take away Barksdale and they folded lmao

The punch line is gonna be when he gets another visit from the SEC lmao

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I saw very few people without masks at my Kroger in Houston (this was a few days before the mask order took effect), but the dude with the Trump-Pence shirt clearly had a chip on his shoulder about it.

egyptian rat race posted:

It was weird to see a 40 year old man doing the playbook of a middle school bully.

You mean it's inspiring to see your fellow citizens following their President's leadership :patriot:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So Texas reopened* on Friday. The result has been an almost immediate change in behavior. I see a lot more people without masks and even got an odd look from my neighbors that basically said "why are you still wearing that thing?" Said neighbors were clearly on their way to a pool party with some friends. Did curbside at Best Buy yesterday and overheard a lady asking why they were "still closed." Everything's fine, didn't you hear?

At least nobody with a rifle is protesting the tyranny of the local Costco's mask rule. Yet. The chuds are real mad at Lina Hidalgo, though.

* Not really but that's what most people seem to have heard.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Fallom posted:

Is Donald about to back down from psyching these people up?

I feel like it may not matter, it's an open question in my mind whether or not the Ersatzgruppen types are on the verge of getting away from them. I'd bet money that the Republican establishment thinks this will all just go away once it is no longer useful to business. What worries me is that a lot of nasty people are being platformed and handed ready made venues for networking, radicalizing, and recruiting.

Plutocrats always think they're in charge of their fash "allies" until suddenly they're not.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

did anyone say Bay of Brigs yet

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ded posted:

What? No jabs at the AE is my ELVEN SPELLING OF AI?

There are at least three different personalities in that name and they are all :psyduck:

Brb renaming my child π Volpæus AC4400

π is circles which are like, wow math
Volpæus is my Second Life avatar, he's a fox who is also a vampire
AC4400 is my favorite locomotive DON'T @ ME EMD STANS

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Internet Wizard posted:

That's a surprisingly thoughtful approach from a woman who named their kid X AE A-12

I do like though how they are so out of sync on this but managed to have an "our favorite airplane"

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
these are the moments when you learn which posters have ephebophilia_vs_pedophilia.txt ready to go

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

yep this feels like a good day to take a mental health break from the news

although if anyone out there is still carrying water for Birx by saying she's just trying to manage upwards or whatever, they can gently caress right the hell off the edge of this flat gay earth

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah when they say it like that, it sounds like they just have a problem with Obama

really makes u think :birdthunk:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I think it was in a (much) earlier iteration of this thread, around the time Pompeo was nominated, that someone posted an article detailing that the Pompeos have a reputation for enjoying the high life on the public dime.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Upon trying to find the story, I may have been thinking of Scott Pruitt, actually. The Morocco trip that was a naked play for airline and hotel points, which I had somehow associated with Pompeo, was Pruitt. So hard to tell these grifters apart. Which one was it who was flying around on private jets, Tom Price?

Pretty sure Pompeo story was actually about he and his wife being Dominionists which is also fine and cool

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 20, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Internet Wizard posted:

Was it Pruitt who paid a visit to Fort Knox that was coincidentally at the exact time the eclipse passed over Kentucky? And claimed that he needed to take private and/or government planes instead of the public airliners he rated because people were too mean to him in public?

Idk about the eclipse but lol yeah I remember that other thing now

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/05/07/heres-the-epa-memo-that-justified-scott-pruitts-first-class-travel/

Although I was right, Tom Price also spent over $1M on private jets in less than a year

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

What's to stop people from just renting PO boxes in the Bay Area and setting it up for forwarding? The gently caress is Zuck gonna do, demand copies of leases?

Easy. "Hello employee, we need your current residential address in order to properly file payroll taxes and generate your W-2."

Even if you can get mail at a street address, your home state tax agency will not be happy with you. Although if you live in an income-tax-free state :texas: and don't mind paying California's rate, no harm no foul besides a little light perjury maybe?

(On the other hand, a FB engineer makes good money but not "play games with the taxman" money.)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Is there some way I can tell the post office I don't want conspiracy propaganda in my mail or?

Just click the thumbs down on your mailbox and the USPS algorithm will take care of it for you, isn't the future great?

But seriously does the guy from their YouTube ads have a column or something? Do you have to look at his smug face every day?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Best Friends posted:

It sucks when people's hearts coincidentally explode when you just happen to be putting a knee on their big neck artery.

And then they complain of shortness of breath and you're all like "you're still talking, must be lying"

And then you start telling the other cops you think it may be "excited delirium or whatever"

Gee shucks, who could have forseen an ending like this :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Bored As gently caress posted:

Whatever underlying conditions the guy had doesn't matter (or shouldn't) - the actions of the cops still caused the death. It's not like his underlying conditions caused his death suddenly at that exact moment without outside action. Just like positional asphyxiation killed Eric Garner specifically caused by police action (and inaction when he stated he couldn't breathe),

Denying medical attention seems to be a recurring theme in these incidents, be it respiratory distress or letting a shot person bleed out. I have to assume on some level it's a power thing because at that point the individual is thoroughly subdued, if they weren't already.

If Floyd was having a heart attack a complaining of shortness of breath for nearly 10 minutes, and the response was "more knee to neck", then it seems like consequences should be attached to that alone (e: I mean that should be enough on its own, not that the broader incident can't have other consequences). Likewise curious about the actual legal implications though.