Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That Works posted:

Video in which a Republican governor details routing a plane full of corona tests from South Korea to land at a different airport (within his state) so that the state's National Guard and State Police can safeguard the shipment from the federal government.

https://twitter.com/postlive/status/1255878355016134656

poo poo like this is bananas if you think about it for a minute.

Was talking to my friend about this and I'm struggling to remember the last time a state gov called up the NG to defy the Feds or however you want to put it. Wallace maybe?

Either way, there's hard evidence of your cold civil war right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BUG JUG posted:

Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

Part of the other problem with the teachers that get hard ons for teaching RW/CW/WWII is that they like to focus on the battles and military stuff and ignore everything else.

I was fortunate that I had a teacher in high school that went into detail about Antebellum (Bleeding Kansas, John Brown, etc) and just how bad chattel slavery was and then spent a solid week covering Reconstruction.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing I love about history is also the thing that makes it so drat difficult to teach: There's a lot of it, it's all interconnected, and there's always more of it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of teachers (And a good part of the general public) see history education as a bulleted list of meaningless dates and names, which is extremely boring and will kill the interest of even the most dedicated students.
It's difficult for teachers too because they are mandated by a lot of state education requirements to teach specific dates/people and it constrains them in a lot of ways. You get to college and most programs moved away from the "Great Man" theory of teaching history decades ago, which makes things refreshing and more exciting if you have a genuine interest in the subject, but it still persists in grade school in many places.

I had thought about pursuing a career as a history teacher while getting my degree but moved away from it and have no regrets after talking with friends that are in that profession. It's a lot of loving hoops to jump through sometimes.

I still get to work with history for my current job, and I love it (helps that I'm paid reasonably well too, esp. compared to teachers), but jobs like mine are incredibly rare.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's always confused me is the folks I've known who dismiss history as boring, but then can recount the entirety of the extended history of Middle Earth. Sure there's no magic and fantasy creatures in real history, but it's full of insane drama that is often super compelling.

It sounds stupid but sometimes you just gotta find that gateway drug to get people to give a poo poo about history or realize it's not all boring dead old white dudes. For me (and a lot of other white dudes) military history is where I first really dipped my toes, but ended up doing a ton of tech and economic history semi-connected to military history in college. If you had asked me to look at the economic history of WWII when I was a teenager, I'd have told you to gently caress off with the boring stuff.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 1, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Immanentized posted:

I do risk for a living. My firm advises some of the biggest financial, defense, pharmaceutical and energy partnerships in the country. The closer to capital you get, the less political things get, and the more freely information is shared.

Everything I see professionally is projecting the same thing. We're going to see a 300k+ dead by Christmas of this year. Mostly in the southern/midwestern states that are just bullrushing into reopening.

These places are sacrificing their people at the altar of unproven and unreliable economic recovery, and it's high bullshit.

Hey even in the non-open early states, people still aren't taking poo poo seriously.

My wife woke me up this morning to tell me one of her techs texted her saying she had been hanging out with a friend who's mom was now showing symptoms and she wondered if she should not come in or not.

I lost my cool and told her she should fire the tech because she's repeatedly done stupid poo poo like this (she's ignored PPE protocol several times, bragged about going to parties during this, etc) and they work in a medical environment (veterinary medicine), so she's needlessly putting people who need to come in at risk.

Fortunately her bosses stepped in, got another tech to come in and told the other one to stay away for awhile.

I'm just so tired of this poo poo.

Also my company told us to continue working from home through June 30 even if our local or state govs lift stay at home orders. From the wording of the email, it sounds like they think June 30 is just a placeholder for now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My friend's got a Garand and we went shooting right before all this started shutting everything down. Such a fun gun to shoot.

Garand and the M1 Carbine are hands down the two most fun rifles to shoot IMHO.

Though I shot a Thompson at my bachelor party and all I'll say about that is that it was clearly designed to be efficient and fun.

Suicide Watch posted:

Haha one of the protestors has an SAS tattoo. But this is great, the crackping is coming on hard

Ooooooof.

I mean I made my email in high school based off a SAS thing I heard in Metal Gear Solid (Whodares) but that is some pure strain cringe right there.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait isn't SAS british
lol, yep.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MA-Horus posted:

WHAT COLOR WAS THE MCDONALDS IN HEREFORD

:laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So was this brought up at all recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...JD3pYDPdE90NoJ4

TLDR: Back in February black guy goes for a run, gets shot and killed by two racist shitheads. It's caught on tape (that was released yesterday). No charges have been filed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jerry Stiller died :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

While that sucks, he lived a long life and had a storied career (except anything he did with Kevin James).

Agreed, though I'll stan for him in the King of Queens.

I always hear his "Don't tell me!" in my head whenever my wife tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

lol what?
https://twitter.com/erikstrobl/status/1259964480211091464

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's only a lynching if it originates from the Lynchburg region, otherwise it's technically a sparkling murder mob.

McNally posted:

This makes the whole conversation almost worth it.

Almost.

:same:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Brute Squad posted:

in other current events, Ethan Hawke is making a John Brown miniseries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Tm63y-S4s

I'm scare-cited

Oh gently caress yes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

This tbh. It's a little more open, a little bigger in general but after growing up in Louisiana and then OK and TX then moving to MA and now living in RI... it's lovely everywhere. There's probably more people I've met in New England who are a little more vocal against racism than down south where it's more quiet disapproval / acceptance of it. But, it's also more... flagrant? for lack of a better word. I've seen more rebel flags in 3 years in RI than I did in 5 years in Austin.

About 1/5 to 1/4 of the white people I met in Boston or in RI when I mention "I'm from Louisiana" proceed to lean in, drop their voice a couple decibels and then say something along the lines of "how did you deal with all those n*****s?" or some other use of the word. This doesn't include all the people I met / know in academia, but that's a pretty different group of people.

Grew up in RI, SE Mass. This tracks.

I also lived for years in the suburbs or what counts for "remote" in RI before eventually moving into one of the cities that everyone in the burbs/remote areas always talked about as being scary and bad. I'm sure you can guess why.

Spoiler, it was not scary and bad if you're not a racist. I fit in more there than I did anywhere else. Hard to explain but I think just about everyone being poor had something to do with it.

Also, let me guess...you saw the flags in either Foster/Glocester, North Smithfield or West Warwick?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

Hahah did you live like outside of Cranston or something? I still don't know all the neighborhoods etc. Growing up in a town with only like 30% white people has made me immune to getting freaked out when I go through "black" parts of wherever.

Flags were in West Warwick and Exeter / Coventry areas. I live squarely in the middle of Richmond now which is strangely Trump country all of a sudden. However at 40 I am the youngest person in town it seems.

Sounds about right. I grew up in the northern part of the state/Southern Mass (Woonsocket/146 area), but that state is incredibly small and insular at times. Like my family moved down from Canada for my dads job, and you could tell my parents never really fit in or got on with most of the people they met there unless they were also from out of state. Also the concept of driving more than 20 minutes to go anywhere is mind blowing concept to most people there. Remember the Station Nightclub fire? I'm not exaggerating when I say just about everyone in that state knew someone who was there or who died that night. It was insane.

The Trumpiest people in that State def. live in Washington County though and Cranston may as well be a suburb of New Jersey with the white flight and all. Richmond's nice (I think Yawgoog is there? I went a bunch when I was a kid.) from what I remember of it, and if you're teaching where I think you are, that's a pretty solid commute.

There are def. some parts of that state I miss but there's a reason I got the gently caress outta dodge from there as soon as I finished college.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 13, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

I would have haaaaated to live here as a single person in my 20-30s but being married and stable this is a pretty rad spot for us now.

Oh yeah that is one of the bigger reasons why I got out of there after college. I could easily see myself living in parts of New England again now that I'm married and do not give a gently caress about dating and poo poo.

PeterCat posted:

This looks fun, but at the same time I'm thinking it's propaganda for Trump's new branch. "Sure it's a waste of money, but really, it has heart and is a good thing." It's insidious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpYpulGCKc

I highly doubt Greg Daniels and Steve Carrel would willingly make propaganda for Trump's space force. It's satire, lighten up Francis.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 13, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ManMythLegend posted:

I've driven all over this country and the worst drivers I've ever seen are Rhode Island drivers by a country mile.

YEP.

Then I moved to the DC Area. Maryland drivers have them beat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ManMythLegend posted:

I've lived in the Maryland/DC area for the last 2 and a half years and I'm going to have to disagree.

Sure, the MD/DC crowd are aggressive assholes on the road but they at least know the basic mechanics of how to drive a car properly. The same cannot be said of Rhode Islanders. They are absolute clown shows.

Actually now you're giving me flashbacks of having to deal with dipshits in RI not understanding how merges work.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

PeterCat posted:

I'm pretty sure they'd star in anything that paid. Speaking of which, Army recruiting went up after Stripes came out, so point made.

:rolleyes:

BigDave posted:

All drivers are poo poo everywhere

It's probably this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Am I high or Feinstein... good?

You're high. She voted to allow warrantless surveillance of web browser history.

pmchem posted:

dems are worthless

I mean 35 voted against it (including King who caucuses with them) but yeah sure, whatever you need to tell yourself to so you can chant "dems bad" at every turn.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Starting to think that Burr was served with a search warrant for reasons other than insider trading :thunk:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1260964826043604998

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Look, it's Dollar Store Phil Hartman!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

:psyduck:

What the gently caress?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

:getin:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Internet, show me a take hotter than the sun.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1262840263032086532

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah well, Scooby Doo Can Doo-Doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I was scrolling through Twitter on my phone last night and some rear end in a top hat posted his Snapchats so it auto played before I realized what it was and I saw some poo poo I wish I hadn't before bed.

So in summary,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh great another one of these jackoffs

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

I'll steal the commentary of Gin and Tacos on the Klobuchar thing:

It's just usual veepstakes poo poo and not a sign of absolutely anything. Hell, I think Warren and Abrams have already done campaign events with Biden, Cortez-Masto is on the shortlist, Harris too, Baldwin got some play the other day, and who knows how many others.

Yeah it's pretty much this. Campaigns vet anywhere from 3-5 people for final consideration and upwards of a dozen or so before that.

Also this is likely getting leaked by Klobs people, which...is not good for her. Long story short, it might be her and her people trying to get her ahead of Warren, Harris, Abrams, everyone else. Problem is, it tells Biden and his people her team can't be trusted to not leak poo poo

But hey we live in hellworld so watch Biden pick her anyways..

Fister Roboto posted:

It's extremely cool that we're calling it "veepstakes" like a it's a loving game show.

Also this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Remote only work kind of sucks for people without stable home situations.

This.

I'm sure half the thread has seen me bitch about my company revoking WFH down to one day and axing home based employees last year, so I've got a lot of thoughts on it but I firmly believe it's one of those options company's should make available to those that want it. Making it mandatory or not an option are both stupid.

I do great when I work from home, as do the people on my team, but there are other people who do not have a home office setup to do it well or their work isn't really suitable to working from home all the time. All I really do is look at excel sheets, XML files and historical documents all day, so it's not a huge stretch for me to work from home.

Also as far as pay goes, my company used to reduce your salary if you went from working in a expensive metro to home based but quietly stopped doing that a few years ago. Before they stopped WFH (and I have a feeling it's gonna come back because now everyone is doing it and they are gonna suffer from more attrition cause of it), the new policy was, if you went to working from home full time, you kept your salary, but your COLA/raises reflected your new location. That seemed fair to me.

Internet Wizard posted:

Almost nobody actually does 40 hours of work in a 40 hour work week
Yeah, pretty much. The unwritten rule is that so long as your work is being completed (and not half assed), and you remain available during business hours, no one gives a poo poo if you are sitting at your desk a full eight hours a day.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bloops posted:

You know, for every 10 dudes doing this gun to the dick challenge with an unloaded weapon, there’s one guy who’s like “nah this gun ain’t gonna go off” and leaves a round chambered.

Should post this in the idiots thread but it's relevant here.

Like 15 years ago when one of my friends was finally old enough to purchase a handgun, he went out and bought some lovely 1911 from Rock Island Armory that I remember having really bad sights and was poorly machined.

Anyways, he buys it new for like 600 dollars and to save money, proceeds to make a clip of dummy rounds by just removing the primer/gunpowder so he can have a clip of rounds to cycle through instead of spending 20-30 bucks on the rubber dummy rounds they sell for the same purpose. He makes no effort to clearly mark this clip either but he knows "which is which". I get a phone call like a week later from him in tears because his cousin came over and was venting about something stupid and decided for whatever reason, to pick up the gun, load the clip he thought contained dummy rounds, chambered one and fired it at the wall. I'm sure you can guess what happened. No one was hurt but it went through his wall and shattered the window on his jeep door behind it. His grandmother made him sell it to pay for the damage.

I haven't spoken with him in like ten years but he was and probably still does check every box for being a terrible gun owner that gives everyone else a bad name. Open carrying at house parties, leaving loaded weapons hammered and cocked where kids can get it, etc.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How did I not hear there's gonna be a new season of The Kids in the Hall next year until now? Because, yeah, there's going to be a new season of The Kids in the Hall next year on Amazon.

Did Dave Foley finally find a way to not have to pay his ex-wife like 75% of whatever he's making to do it?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone got any good news at least?

My dog didn't suffer a spinal injury and instead just strained her back :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its because they dont want you to experience the fully legal rush of throwing old car batteries into the ocean

Everything sucks and I hate the hellworld we're all living in but it's the little things that still make me chuckle. Thanks for this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/___0HOUR1/status/1265853069436137472?s=19

lol

-lets a bunch of white looters go by
-tries to knife the first black person that comes out the door
-gets blasted by a fire extinguisher by a white dude

Yeah Andy Ngo was sharing this earlier trying to paint it as "look at this helpless elderly woman being attacked by ANTIFA!"

gently caress her.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I'm with Godholio on this one. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out to be a cop doing that poo poo, but gonna need more to go off on other than rando twitter accounts with Facebook messages.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Not giving him any credit or applause for doing what he's supposed to loving do as AG. Like this should have happened days ago.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Defenestrategy posted:

Report from Atlanta suburbs. My mom has shifted to fash over night, making me believe there was something to Nixon getting elected because a bunch of scarred white people just wanted the violence to stop and everything going back to a "polite" society.

It Def. was a major reason. Read Nixonland by Rick Pearlstein if you want a really good account of it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

Same dude that tried to ban kneeling last summer. Get hosed Goodell.

Not an empty quote.

Stultus Maximus posted:

loving white kids.

Seriously.

If you're at a BLM protest and a POC or organizer tells your white rear end to cut the poo poo, maybe shut the gently caress up and listen?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Other angle
https://twitter.com/Gingersonfire/status/1266884385854255104

gently caress that idiot. Deserves whatever he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

stealie72 posted:

Protocols may have changed since I lived in DC two decades ago, but I dont think that's terribly unusual.

Yeah, it's a regularish thing. When I still lived downtown you could see them farting around on the roof like 2-3 days a week.