Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Isaac is going to be an awesome player sometime in the near future. I didn't realize he'd already gotten this good on d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
who the gently caress is Jonathon Isaac

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

verbal enema posted:

Who the Mavs (allegedly) really wanted in the 2017 draft.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What does that stat actually mean

Here's an informed guess: for every defender, look at every player they've defended and average their offensive skill, then compare that average to every other defender's average. It's a metric attempting to get at who guards the better offensive players. The higher the percentile, the better the offensive players that defender has guarded.

in their example, ben simmons guards the highest overall offensive skill players. giannis is much closer to average, because the bucks frequently put him on less skilled players so he can roam and play free safety. brook lopez doesn't guard a lot of offensively skilled players because he's a center and there aren't a lot of offensively skilled centers.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 5, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

dokmo posted:

Here's an informed guess: for every defender, look at every player they've defended and average their offensive skill, then compare that average to every other defender's average. It's a metric attempting to get at who guards the better offensive players. The higher the percentile, the better the offensive players that defender has guarded.

in their example, ben simmons guards the highest overall offensive skill players. giannis is much closer to average, because the bucks frequently put him on less skilled players so he can roam and play free safety. brook lopez doesn't guard a lot of offensively skilled players because he's a center and there aren't a lot of offensively skilled centers.

Ah right so it's a defensive stat. Thanks! For some reason my brain was reading it as an offensive stat and that was just confusing me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

verbal enema posted:

A very good defensive player

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

They’ll probably just ice whoever tests positive

what about everyone he played with or against

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Feel like this probably underrates rim protectors and guys whose primary strength is in their team defense rather than their one on one defense but Simmons should get way more DPOTY talk this year than he has.

Spacebump posted:

Isaac is going to be an awesome player sometime in the near future. I didn't realize he'd already gotten this good on d.

He's always been really good on D but yeah I think he will probably be the best player in the whole league on that end sometime in the relatively near future. It's the offense that is still the big question with him, but he'd still be way up there on my list of guys I'd want to build around for the next 10 years.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 5, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think reading through there supporting tweets Simmons for high ratings for literally guarding the best player more than anyone in the league, versatility and being good in passing lanes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

what about everyone he played with or against

When they test positive they get iced too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

I'm sure the "Gitmo is actually really nice" guy has done some careful introspection and isn't just covering his rear end after getting yelled at for like two straight days.

Love his claim that Gitmo prisoners get 6500 calories a day

gently caress that would be torture in and of itself for most people

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That's just like 3 chick fil a shakes a day or the Joel Embiid diet

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Intruder posted:

Love his claim that Gitmo prisoners get 6500 calories a day

gently caress that would be torture in and of itself for most people
I bet you're also one of those people who thinks that giving them gallons of filtered water is also torture.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Could probably drink 6.5k calories pretty easily if it was all beer. What the hell sign me up

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I bet you're also one of those people who thinks that giving them gallons of filtered water is also torture.

what is this post????? yikes.

jonathan isaac defends through the power of christ. just like, jumping off the crucifix and blocking punishment handed down to the penitent thief. you know how he does.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
God drat it, I should have used my Ben Simmons joke in this thread.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

CRISPYBABY posted:

what is this post????? yikes.

jonathan isaac defends through the power of christ. just like, jumping off the crucifix and blocking punishment handed down to the penitent thief. you know how he does.

It's a waterboarding joke.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Could probably drink 6.5k calories pretty easily if it was all beer. What the hell sign me up

Plot twist, it's all miller lite

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's a waterboarding joke.

Yeah it was a good joke

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
guys it's late and I'm dumb

gently caress

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

When they test positive they get iced too

the tests have like a 40% false negative rate. also what happens if like half of a team tests positive in the playoffs?

you can't pretend this is like spraining an ankle or something it's a super contagious disease we don't understand the long term effects of yet

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

the tests have like a 40% false negative rate. also what happens if like half of a team tests positive in the playoffs?

you can't pretend this is like spraining an ankle or something it's a super contagious disease we don't understand the long term effects of yet

Re-test with different tests, e.g. PCR and antibody. Running individual tests is a matter of hours nowadays, not days.

And yeah the longterm issues are unknown. IIRC they think Kawasaki disease might occur in a small subset of survivors, which is insane given how rare it is de novo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/thatmferz/status/1268636289382920192?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

God drat it, I should have used my Ben Simmons joke in this thread.

You still can !!

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dexo posted:

Imagine liking your Basketball team...

Seriously, iv'e been waiting for the day you can all hate a NBA team in Orlando, just like me!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like my terrible basketball team

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I’m not, I’m just guessing this is how the league will handle it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Metta rules and wish nothing but the best for him

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I like my pretty good and well positioned for the future basketball team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Same.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I like my dogshit fuckup team

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Beautiful

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I like my maddingly decent team, even if they piss me off sometimes!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Hell I’ll say it. I like the way they dribble up and down the court, and I don’t care who knows

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1268939674447425537

:(

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Some pittsburgh penguin tested positive already. It's going to happen. I think they'll just shuffle the guy out and keep playing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jon Isaac proves through the power of Christ you can defend against all types of sin, like weak rear end layups

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Didn't we figure out a few weeks ago that Jonathan Isaac would beat Larry Bird 1on1 or was that someone else?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

Didn't we figure out a few weeks ago that Jonathan Isaac would beat Larry Bird 1on1 or was that someone else?

A Twitter poll said that Bill loving Laimbeer would beat him one on one and I was extremely upset about it.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Does anyone have the painting of The Block? I've misplaced mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/1268997783043952640