Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

Your "boylein" spelling is slowly seeping into my brain, like a perverted form of boolean

jim, earl of boylein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/1277435786443411456

What a dumbass.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

this just makes me think of the "club trillion" thing for when you post a cool zero in twelve columns

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gotta be honest when I see or hear the word Trillian I think of the chat app and not the gross disgusting level of wealth Jeff bezos is trying to reach.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Really hope Jarrett Allen can fill some of the DJ shaped hole in the Nets

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wait, how the gently caress did the Nets get up to 7?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Cancel the season imo

someone said the orlando thing won't get canceled before the start because there's to much money riding on it but i bet if lebron, anthony davis, kawhi, or paul george get the virus the thing gets canceled

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 30, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

:hai:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dokmo posted:

Someone check on Jarrett Allen

if anything it’s probably good news for their rotations

for the record i hope deandre is fine blah blah blah i’m not a monster

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This is a fantastic idea by the hawks, I do hope more stadiums follow suit.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/29/8849...mpaign=politics

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's fun watching every sport operate like the bad general in a war movie.

It's fun.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This appears to be apropos of nothing but I love this man.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

This is a fantastic idea by the hawks, I do hope more stadiums follow suit.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/29/8849...mpaign=politics

Also this is fantastic.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Chairchucker posted:

Cancel the season imo

At this point it's clear that most of the US is going to get this infection. Cancelling the season won't change that. These guys are perfectly capable of getting sick while hanging out at home.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

R.D. Mangles posted:

Your "boylein" spelling is slowly seeping into my brain, like a perverted form of boolean

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Move the nets back to jersey

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

I’m picturing them in the shape of his head, like a Flintstone vitamin

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Algund Eenboom posted:

Move the nets back to jersey

Who WILL REMEMBER KERRY KITTLES

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

At this point it's clear that most of the US is going to get this infection. Cancelling the season won't change that. These guys are perfectly capable of getting sick while hanging out at home.

I think the bigger issue is bringing in the ancillary staff/labor, like the Disney workers, and increasing their risk of infection for the sake of entertainment. Limiting spread saves lives. Limiting spread decreases the probability of adverse effects from infection and hospitalization. Playing NBA games is not worth even one person having to go to the ICU.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vinestalk posted:

I think the bigger issue is bringing in the ancillary staff/labor, like the Disney workers, and increasing their risk of infection for the sake of entertainment. Limiting spread saves lives. Limiting spread decreases the probability of adverse effects from infection and hospitalization. Playing NBA games is not worth even one person having to go to the ICU.

Yeah if the players get it in their own lives, fine, whatever. I think they probably have some vulnerable people in their lives that they should probably be considering but at least that's their burden to bare. The support staff in a lot of cases has no agency in this matter and it loving sucks to put them through this. Especially since no one is going to take this ring seriously.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

i'm getting *inhales steam* hints of timeclocks, and... teachable moments?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who WILL REMEMBER KERRY KITTLES

are we remembering some nets?

remember kenyon martin? i remember that guy

Vinestalk posted:

morally, that’s 100% correct, but the nba’s accountants have done the math and have decided full speed ahead baby

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

related note: if the nba goes through full steam ahead and a player dies from coronavirus or otherwise has their career ended from it, does silver go down as the worst sports executive of all time?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

related note: if the nba goes through full steam ahead and a player dies from coronavirus or otherwise has their career ended from it, does silver go down as the worst sports executive of all time?

dont worry, humans wont survive long enough to contextualize adam silver's place in the history of sports executives

and even if we do, he will probably be competing with 3 or 4 other sports executives who wind up killing people with the roni

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao this is so great.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Declan MacManus posted:

I see you doubt Goodell and the NFL owners ability to continue as if nothing is wrong and not make any accommodations or changes. It's not like the NFLPA is strong enough to do any real pushback, after all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

There are baseball commissioners who enforced segregation so I think they are probably the worst

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

NBA is doing way more to try to do this safely than any other sports league. I am willing to bet the players will have fewer positive tests in the ~3 months of the bubble than they have in the ~1 week of testing they've done so far. For the average player, Orlando will represent more precautions than they have been taking so far. I know theirs a bunch of "lol Florida" going on in this thread, but the Orange County, FL numbers are considerably better than LA, New York, and other major cities where players would be spending their time otherwise. (And that's just because of density, but its really hard to mitigate infection spread in the cities where NBA players live).

NFL is going to be playing a full season, during the fall, without any sort of bubble, and they are still pushing for fans to attend (to some degree). If there is going to be any player impact the NBA won't be anywhere near the top.

Also, pretending like this is Silver pushing is ignoring the fact that NBA players and the NBAPA are trying hard to make this happen. If the players didn't want to play, they are allowed to not play without any repercussion other than the missed paycheck (which they'd miss if this was cancelled).

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 30, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NFL season is 100% not happening

I can’t see them getting through training camp

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

look my friend. i like you, and i like that you enjoy hoops and path of exile. you are a good dude. but the nfl season is 100% happening. you have been posting that the seasons are not happening for all the leagues, for like 3 months. just accept defeat already. there is no stopping the money trains.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Lol, of course it is. By presidential executive order if needbe. You have WAYYY more faith than is deserved.

Training Camps will start right when things are probably going to be at or near their lowest points too, and the NFL won't consider a 2nd wave. NFL schedule is basically perfectly constructed for maximum exposure.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Lockback posted:

NBA is doing way more to try to do this safely than any other sports league. I am willing to bet the players will have fewer positive tests in the ~3 months of the bubble than they have in the ~1 week of testing they've done so far. For the average player, Orlando will represent more precautions than they have been taking so far. I know theirs a bunch of "lol Florida" going on in this thread, but the Orange County, FL numbers are considerably better than LA, New York, and other major cities where players would be spending their time otherwise. (And that's just because of density, but its really hard to mitigate infection spread in the cities where NBA players live).

NFL is going to be playing a full season, during the fall, without any sort of bubble, and they are still pushing for fans to attend (to some degree). If there is going to be any player impact the NBA won't be anywhere near the top.

Also, pretending like this is Silver pushing is ignoring the fact that NBA players and the NBAPA are trying hard to make this happen. If the players didn't want to play, they are allowed to not play without any repercussion other than the missed paycheck (which they'd miss if this was cancelled).

Worth pointing out density has nothing to do with infection rate. What matters is interactions between people, per person, per day. Because the U.S. has a largely homogeneous culture of interacting with other people (or a small set of subcultures, compare New Yorkers to southerners) we see largely similar spread across the entire country even when considering vast differences in geography and population density.

Doesn't mean that the NBA won't be safe (it won't but that's for other reasons), but *we're in a less dense area* isn't really relevant.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lmao the sports leagues don't care if people die, but the NFL is the only one that will openly trumpet this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/SAAREALZ/status/1277969145221414912?s=20

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Lol - I'm a big Dame fan but that is still pretty funny.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

look my friend. i like you, and i like that you enjoy hoops and path of exile. you are a good dude. but the nfl season is 100% happening. you have been posting that the seasons are not happening for all the leagues, for like 3 months. just accept defeat already. there is no stopping the money trains.

Fair enough

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lockback posted:

NBA is doing way more to try to do this safely than any other sports league.

And they will fail, just like all the other sports leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Super Jay Mann posted:

And they will fail, just like all the other sports leagues.

What does failure mean in this instance