Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hey, is that the truth or are you talking trash?
Is your game MVP like Steve Nash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
NBA officials freely moving in and out of the „bubble“ is a hilarious wrinkle. Just cancel the season already.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Steve Nash would never have hosed Matt Barnes' wife.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Steve Nash would never have hosed Matt Barnes' wife.

That was Derek Fisher. Kidd had that weird thing with Toni Braxton I think.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The story was that Jason Kidd and Jim Jackson had a huge falling out that eventually ended with Kidd getting traded because Braxton ditched Kidd to go on a date with Jackson but I think everyone who was on the Mavs at the time says it never happened.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

How does Chris Paul compare with Nash and Kidd?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

How does Chris Paul compare with Nash and Kidd?
Outright better

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Chris Paul has a real case as best PG of all time and I don’t think Nash or Kidd have anything close to it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Chris Paul has a real case as best PG of all time and I don’t think Nash or Kidd have anything close to it.

Magic was still clearly better and Stockton will likely have the better career, but those are really the only people I would put in a conversation with CP3.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cp3 without question the second best pg I've ever seen. Dude was better than Nash after his 3rd year in the league lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chris paul is way better than nash but i think they're close on the severity of their incredibly fast decline and twilight of their careers. nash breaking every bone in his body as soon as he left phoenix was weird and the kobe-dwight-nash lakers never being good was real funny. chris paul being banished to okc by jim harden was also darkly funny

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

chris paul is way better than nash but i think they're close on the severity of their incredibly fast decline and twilight of their careers. nash breaking every bone in his body as soon as he left phoenix was weird and the kobe-dwight-nash lakers never being good was real funny. chris paul being banished to okc by jim harden was also darkly funny

Except Chris Paul has been really good there.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I agree about CP3 being better. It's just interesting how much circumstance and luck can help determine someone's career though. Like CP3's accolades and accomplishments never quite hit the same highs as Nash and Kidd but he's nearly a perfect PG.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Well that's what happens when you blow a trip to the wfc to Corey Brewer and Josh Smith

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah Paul is still like an All NBA type guard he hasn't really declined that much.

Paul should also have a MVP but voters got guilted into giving Kobe a lifetime achievement award he didn't deserve. I don't really see how Kidd has more accolades though. He has a ring but it was as a role player and they're pretty much even on All NBA teams and All Star teams

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 1, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Yeah Paul is still like an All NBA type guard he hasn't really declined that much.

Paul should also have a MVP but voters got guilted into giving Kobe a lifetime achievement award he didn't deserve. I don't really see how Kidd has more accolades though. Like he has a ring but it was as a role player.

Kidd did lead two teams to the Finals (and got annihilated after making it through a much weaker conference)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1278339063360020482?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kidd did lead two teams to the Finals (and got annihilated after making it through a much weaker conference)

I mean yeah but any of those Lob City Clipper teams would have steamrolled the east back then.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/cclark3000/status/1278340461896351745?s=20

e: also, I don't know if this counts as slimming down or bulking up for Zion:

https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1278339203437297669?s=20

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I never watched Magic play live because I was too young (born 1990) but the argument I'd make based on watching replays of 80's games for Paul over Magic is

1. Magic didn't really play defense well. No one did in those days outside of centers, while CP3 is one of (if not) the best defensive PGs of all time. Does this make up for the offensive differences? Not sure.
2. Magic played the majority of his career with the best player of all time, who could still lead a team to a finals win as late as 1985. Hell, even in '87 Kareem was arguably better than any teammate Paul has ever played with.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MourningView posted:

Paul should also have a MVP but voters got guilted into giving Kobe a lifetime achievement award he didn't deserve. I don't really see how Kidd has more accolades though. Like he has a ring but it was as a role player.

Maybe not accolades exactly (I'm not going to add up all their awards to compare) but Kidd's height as the Nets PG propelled his already great career up a few notches at least as far how I remember his media coverage through his career. His reputation was great enough to get him 2 undeserved HC jobs despite never proving himself.

And to be fair to CP3, recency bias put a pretty big hit on him from his time in Houston. He's been doing great resuscitating his career in OKC, but it feels like only a handful of people even notice.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I never watched Magic play live because I was too young (born 1990) but the argument I'd make based on watching replays of 80's games for Paul over Magic is

1. Magic didn't really play defense well. No one did in those days outside of centers, while CP3 is one of (if not) the best defensive PGs of all time. Does this make up for the offensive differences? Not sure.
2. Magic played the majority of his career with the best player of all time, who could still lead a team to a finals win as late as 1985. Hell, even in '87 Kareem was arguably better than any teammate Paul has ever played with.

1. To be fair, I think Magic played defense according to what was dictated by his team and his era. He got the results he wanted.

2. You could also make the case that Kareem's career was so effective for so long in large part because of how good Magic and the Lakers were. That was a great team and they balanced and complimented each other well.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

iamsosmrt posted:

1. To be fair, I think Magic played defense according to what was dictated by his team and his era. He got the results he wanted.

2. You could also make the case that Kareem's career was so effective for so long in large part because of how good Magic and the Lakers were. That was a great team and they balanced and complimented each other well.

yeah it's a dumb thing to argue about.

I miss basketball.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh ok i haven't been paying attention to him lol. i just remembered that harden wanted him gone

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
chris paul is a loser, a whiny "gamemanship" baby and isn't even better than Isiah Thomas

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I mean yeah but any of those Lob City Clipper teams would have steamrolled the east back then.

Oh for sure, I’m agreeing with you. Just that Kidd technically made it that far while Paul has always had stumbling blocks in a much, much tougher conference.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

in a lot of ways cp3 is just matthew dellevadova with no hustle

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This kind of poo poo infuriates me to no end. Just a failure of promotion:

https://twitter.com/DuncanSmithNBA/status/1278107302747418626?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

This kind of poo poo infuriates me to no end. Just a failure of promotion:

https://twitter.com/DuncanSmithNBA/status/1278107302747418626?s=20

Yeah that is a really bad opinion

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The real best point guards are of course Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson.

Now gaze at this real picture of Vladimir Radmanovic:

https://twitter.com/seth_rosenthal/status/1278351498259435522?s=21

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Oh for sure, I’m agreeing with you. Just that Kidd technically made it that far while Paul has always had stumbling blocks in a much, much tougher conference.

To be fair to Kidd, comparing the Lob City Clips to those Nets goes way beyond Kidd vs CP3. Those Clippers were like 10x better than the Kidd Nets top to bottom outside of the PG positions.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The real best point guards are of course Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson.

Now gaze at this real picture of Vladimir Radmanovic:

https://twitter.com/seth_rosenthal/status/1278351498259435522?s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7n41CURKc

And then the time he wrecked his shoulder snowboarding and lied about it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcuban/status/1278352394045153280

mark cuban with a powerful self own

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
In all honesty cp3 has declined quite a bit because he's lost a lot of stamina. He still has the skills of an all nba player but he can only use them in spurts. He learned to give up the reigns and take command when needed which is why okc has made so many amazing comebacks (and why they are in those positions anyway lol)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

In all honesty cp3 has declined quite a bit because he's lost a lot of stamina. He still has the skills of an all nba player but he can only use them in spurts. He learned to give up the reigns and take command when needed which is why okc has made so many amazing comebacks (and why they are in those positions anyway lol)

Not really stamina as much as his surgically repaired knee tissue can't take the abuse for as long anymore. He's had to manage that since the injury in his NOLA days.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Metapod posted:

CP3 was never the same after his knee injury in NOLA. That version of CP3 really owned.

edit:
what Kibner said above.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

while true, I still am enjoying that he appears to just be constantly going on Hannity to own him repeatedly and Hannity just keeps inviting him back for unknown reasons

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
CP3 vs Nash, CP3 is way better but comparing them at their peaks isn't as ridiculous. I think Nash generally had a bigger impact than most advanced stats gives him credit for, but his peak was pretty short since he was a late bloomer and fell off pretty fast, whereas CP3 got really good right away and has aged pretty gracefully.

I still think CP3's peak was better but if you're generous to Nash's peak you can kinda have them in the same neighborhood. CP3 was also robbed of an MVP.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah that's true but that was also 10 years ago and the difference between how was in Houston year 1 and how he is now is big ie he got old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Steve Nash's last assist owns because it was just done to pass Mark Jackson. I might be misremembering but I think Jackson may have been calling that game.