Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Can’t wait to watch this

https://twitter.com/le0verrated/status/1256134427832352768?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

LeOverrated. Jeez louise

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

This would own

nah

It is okay to admit that people probably should not play sports this year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dexo posted:

It sounds doable, until you get to the point where all of those staff to maintain those services will have to be kept on campus. And the LV unions are decently strong. So you are going to have to pay them a ton.

It’d be just like staffing a cruise, but less seedy

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

You could squeeze 15-20 highly rated reality shows out of that situation.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Speaking of players we remember kinda, how about Nick van Exel:

In addition to being named after popular spreadsheet software, he had a whole bunch of solid years with the Lakers and Denver, a couple nice years with Dallas (got a shout out from Jay-Z) before his career crashed and burned because of an elbow injury. Seems like he was pretty famous for a one year all-star?

Good for him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Maneck posted:

Speaking of players we remember kinda, how about Nick van Exel:

In addition to being named after popular spreadsheet software, he had a whole bunch of solid years with the Lakers and Denver, a couple nice years with Dallas (got a shout out from Jay-Z) before his career crashed and burned because of an elbow injury. Seems like he was pretty famous for a one year all-star?

Good for him.

Being a beloved hipster Lakers legend helps

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Being a beloved hipster Lakers legend helps

Nick Van Exel was by far the most popular Laker in the post-showtime years & pre-Shaq, at least with my friends and I growing up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Nick the quick baby

There are a bunch of random dudes from that Lakers era. Eddie Jones, Cedric ceballos, elden Campbell.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Elden was proto Kwame

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I never really knew as a kid if Van Exel was good or not but I liked him because he stood really far behind the line while shooting free throws (something I would imitate a lot in the hopes that maybe it'd make me better at free throws somehow) and he was my mom's 2nd favorite player behind Patrick Ewing

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Dutchy posted:

I never really knew as a kid if Van Exel was good or not but I liked him because he stood really far behind the line while shooting free throws (something I would imitate a lot in the hopes that maybe it'd make me better at free throws somehow) and he was my mom's 2nd favorite player behind Patrick Ewing
He was one of those guards who would have bumped into a higher echelon (i.e. multiple ASGs) if he had cut out the lovely midrange shots and taken more 3s. I think he really could have been a stronger, more physical version of Kemba Walker in today's NBA.

He also has an amazing mixtape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIOHzrJgipg

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
As a kid I sent out bball cards to all my favorite PGs with a note saying why I liked their game(I love point guards ok) and Nick Van E was the only one to sign the card and he even wrote a nice note in return. So I like him a lot

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know if my parents still have it or if they tossed it but I went to an autograph signing of Van Exel, the only one I ever went to.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Would 4500 rooms even be enough?

~450 players
~200 coaches and front office staff
Medical and training staff
Referees and other game officials
~300 TV Broadcast crew (assuming three or four games a day, more games needs more crew)
Other media and press
Catering for all those people
Laundry and cleaning staff for all those people
Gym and pool staff

Then you throw in the players' families on top. Would coaches get to have their family stay too?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Would 4500 rooms even be enough?

~450 players
~200 coaches and front office staff
Medical and training staff
Referees and other game officials
~300 TV Broadcast crew (assuming three or four games a day, more games needs more crew)
Other media and press
Catering for all those people
Laundry and cleaning staff for all those people
Gym and pool staff

Then you throw in the players' families on top. Would coaches get to have their family stay too?

If my lifetime can run my semi-pro league out of two courts that they share with the volleyball club then the NBA can make this work

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cool Buff Man posted:

As a kid I sent out bball cards to all my favorite PGs with a note saying why I liked their game(I love point guards ok) and Nick Van E was the only one to sign the card and he even wrote a nice note in return. So I like him a lot

this owns

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That's adorable cbm

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
im not sure who all I sent letters to. Shaq for sure, the Magic sent me back a "signed" picture. later i took my nerdlinger 2nd grade picture and manually photoshopped my face over his. huge hit with my family

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Happy sixth anniversary to me screaming so loud I was afraid the neighbors would call the cops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejFtEY5faU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
How come i always hear people talking about players and coaches families. You don't think they can be separated a couple months?
That's not much time at all and plenty of jobs are like that in normal times. In fact i will volunteer to send my wife away for two months as an act of solidarity in these troubled times!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Because they love their families

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

Because they love their families

well some do anyway

Word to Doc Rivers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

well some do anyway

Word to Doc Rivers

Quarantine actually helps him see him less

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chilihead posted:

How come i always hear people talking about players and coaches families. You don't think they can be separated a couple months?
That's not much time at all and plenty of jobs are like that in normal times. In fact i will volunteer to send my wife away for two months as an act of solidarity in these troubled times!

is this a literal unironic take my wife please joke in the year 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

who wants to watch 2 minutes of solid bounce passes from the high post
https://twitter.com/NBEinstein/status/1256606789300256768

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

The best Summer League rebrand ever

(lol if this actually happens though)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Cool Buff Man posted:

I wrote a letter to Dominique Wilkins when I was 7 after he ruptured his achilles and I have a vague recollection of assuring him that the Hawks were my third favorite team after the Blazers and Hornets (???). I got no response and it's only just now occurring to me that my parents probably never even sent it!!!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

An acolyte with religious fervor could introduce a new dynamic to further trick Bulls fandom for a few more decades assuming sports ever return.

creamcorn posted:

George Gervin loving ruled, he was an unrepetentant chucker who was to finger roll layups what Kareem was to the skyhook.

An underrated scorer considering he basically carried on Oscar Robertson's scoring legacy throughout the 1970s and 1980s and became only the sixth member of the vaunted 3000 NP club.

NP from 1947 through 1986 (when he retired):

code:
NP	Player
5604.12	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4690.36	Artis Gilmore
3534.52	Adrian Dantley
3061.52	Julius Erving
3048.6	Oscar Robertson
3010.32	George Gervin
2919.4	Dan Issel
2702.72	Wilt Chamberlain
2609.6	Moses Malone
2287.56	Jerry West
2042.28	Walt Bellamy
2018.48	Bob Lanier

:lol:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Michael Jordan Turned Down $100 Million to Appear at an Event for 2 Hours, Former Agent Says
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-jordan-turned-down-100-170729565.html

MJJ could've donated all that $$$ but decided to spend two hours smoking a cigar instead...or something like that.

Sports COVID-19 fanfiction is quickly becoming one of my new favorite subgenres.

US without sports from 2020-2022:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZ9B7N6vHM

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 2, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This is the guy that went on TV to be congratulated for sending people to the unemployment line. The unemployment systems in states are currently a disaster with people who haven't heard a word for nearly two months. And they're designed to function to deny people for the most part anyway.

That jackaloon is so far out to lunch it's hard to conceptualize without invoking many layers of absurdity.

chilihead posted:

Perhaps a PR move or a way for players to be extra demanding because they don't want to contract SARS-CoV-2 either e.g. plausible deniability etc.

Player agents, executives call for NBA to cancel season: report
https://sports.yahoo.com/player-agents-executives-call-nba-162703000.html

Teams worried about coronavirus affecting older staff
https://sports.yahoo.com/teams-worried-coronavirus-affecting-older-204935968.html

MourningView posted:

is this a literal unironic take my wife please joke in the year 2020

The divorce rate is going to go sky high.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Basketball has been gone so long that I woke this morning with a dream of you guys posting about Aaron Gray living in a camper van and making various jokes at his expense.

Force the ball. Think of all the sci death sports. We don't need bespoke arenas, spiked balls, motorcycles, just play... Just win baby

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 3, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/1256746553261338624?s=19

Vince Carter Its Over Dot Gif

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Zogo posted:

Michael Jordan Turned Down $100 Million to Appear at an Event for 2 Hours, Former Agent Says
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-jordan-turned-down-100-170729565.html

MJJ could've donated all that $$$ but decided to spend two hours smoking a cigar instead...or something like that.

Would you go to Pyongyang for two hours for $100 million?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I mean yes, absolutely

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean yes, absolutely

There's literally no way to properly frame the proposition to account for the disparity in wealth between one of us and Michael Jordan.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You do realize they have tours and everything right

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

To think Jordan could've been a content leader at VICE instead of bullying Kwame Brown.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Like two hours in a very controlled and globally visible situation with reasonable assurances? Or like two hours at some place and getting disappeared for crimes against the state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Like two hours in a very controlled and globally visible situation with reasonable assurances? Or like two hours at some place and getting disappeared for crimes against the state?

They tell you it’s the first.