Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

bornbytheriver posted:

On this day, one year ago:

The origin of crying wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't think Fred Van Vleet has ever been on the same team as his son

:laugh:

one of the only cases where the dad came into the league AFTER the son

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dokmo noooo

Why charges? D:

We need to discourage that poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oceanlife posted:

I will fight you all forever on this. The fact that we can actually have an argument about old man Wilt being better than Kareem in his prime shows how much better Wilt was in his prime.

The game you refer to where Kareem scored 50, he had to take 39 shots to get there and was out rebounded 24-8 and Wilt won that game. That's in his prime Kareem against old man Wilt.

Wilt had to play his prime in a unified league where there were less teams and each team had much deeper talent. Kareem played his prime when the NBA and ABA were splitting talent.

Also Wilt was way cooler.

Kareem wasn't in his prime. Kareem was 22-25 years old when he played Wilt. Sarcopenia sets in at 25 and by 27-30ish players hit their physical peak in life. This is exacerbated by basketball being an endurance sport which typically means players don't peak until they're 30.

That's also just one game. Wilt and Kareem almost split their series even at 14 games for Wilt and 13 for Kareem. Kareem and Wilt also split their first 10 games, IE where Kareem was "in his prime" and Wilt was an "old man".

Wilt didn't have to play against much deeper talent, he played against trash and poo poo. The Celtics were his only challenge. Kareem had to play against the unified league during his prime when the ABA folded in 76. This flooded the field with Artis Gilmore, George Gervin, Dr. J, Rick Barry, and Moses Malone.

Also athleticism doesn't just come from being able to jump higher or run faster than the next guy. Kareem's endurance across 20 seasons is otherworldly. You talk about old man Wilt but Kareem was legitimately an old man playing and putting up 10/5 in his age 41 season.

Wilt may have been cooler in the fact that he had a more playboy lifestyle but Kareem is a staunch civil rights activist and cancer research advocate. Writer, director, and actor. Wilt doing coke and plowing a bunch of groupies doesn't really hold a candle to that. Or actually it does but for the purpose of this argument it doesn't.

Kareems the best player of all time. Better than Lebron and MJ, and definitely better than Wilt.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Only one of Kareem and Wilt has written an episode of Veronica Mars.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

i'm gonna make one of these except it's just gonna be a supercut of Lowry taking charges set to baby got back

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Kareem wasn't in his prime. Kareem was 22-25 years old when he played Wilt. Sarcopenia sets in at 25 and by 27-30ish players hit their physical peak in life. This is exacerbated by basketball being an endurance sport which typically means players don't peak until they're 30.

This is true (Edit: Or not) in baseball but I really don't think this is true in basketball, especially when talking about the star players. Lebron's best seasons were from 24-28, same with Durant (Shaq was 25-30, Garnett 25-30, Kobe 25-30). By 30 most NBA players are at or nearing the end of their prime. I am not sure I've ever looked at 26 or 27 year old player and thought they'd be better better past 30. I can't find a single star player who had their best season at 30 (or even 29).

Generally even this chart is skewed older since marginal players can lean on experience or are out of the league. Look at almost any star player and you'll see their peak usually comes before 30 (which can include their prime, but usually the latter part), even if they are still really good into their early 30s.

Kareem's prime was huge but he was also pretty much in it when he came into the league. The guy basically stepped on the NBA floor ready to dominate and held it until his late 30s. I completely agree with you on Kareem's endurance/durability.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 12, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's extremely not true in baseball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

The NBA should bring back territorial rights so Charlotte can compete at some point

The Bobcats basically drafted as if they had territorial rights and it led to picks like Sean May.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Bobcats basically drafted as if they had territorial rights and it led to picks like Sean May.

— Yeah but they'd also have Zion

— Sean May would have been a solid pick if his bones worked

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's extremely not true in baseball.

Yeah, I've heard that "Physical Peak at 30" more around baseball where a guy might have his best season at 30 or even a little older but that's basically unheard of in basketball.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Does anybody offhandedly know of any good source for season retrospectives? In the depths of my boredom last night I watched what must have been the NBA films championship video from the Celtics win in 1986. It's a very entertaining mix of basketball highlight reel and cultural artifact. Is there any other source for these? The main issue with it is it understandably focuses on the celtics, and I would've preferred more time spent on the young up and coming Karl Malone or Patrick Ewing and less time interviewing Danny Ainge's wife.

I'd still recommend it to a sufficiently bored basketball junkie just for the overwrought writing and Larry Bird passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlhTJ2L4W0w

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I wonder if we're seeing a shift in career trajectories among elite players, as usage patterns change (like fewer practices and other high stress nongame activities). Like Lebron and Harden and Lillard and possibly others have long peaks that are going into their 30s, something I don't think we saw much of in earlier generations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s the steroids.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

I wonder if we're seeing a shift in career trajectories among elite players, as usage patterns change (like fewer practices and other high stress nongame activities). Like Lebron and Harden and Lillard and possibly others have long peaks that are going into their 30s, something I don't think we saw much of in earlier generations.

Injuries being more likely to be diagnosed correctly, with better treatments is also probably a huge factor. Even if you're not talking about big injuries like ACL tears, the fact that guys can get MRI's for soreness and are quicker to rest of small wear & tear injuries probably does a lot.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

LeBrons going to play until he's 50

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This:

dokmo posted:

Combined with this:

Lockback posted:

This is true (Edit: Or not) in baseball but I really don't think this is true in basketball, especially when talking about the star players. Lebron's best seasons were from 24-28, same with Durant (Shaq was 25-30, Garnett 25-30, Kobe 25-30). By 30 most NBA players are at or nearing the end of their prime. I am not sure I've ever looked at 26 or 27 year old player and thought they'd be better better past 30. I can't find a single star player who had their best season at 30 (or even 29).

Is probably the answer. Statistical output doesn't always have to equal a player being in their prime. A host of factors influences how many points a person scores, from usage to team makeup to experience to athleticism. Same with the other categories. As you said in your post players are more experienced as they get older and score better. That could be part of the definition for the concept of an athletes peak. Experience + Athleticism. Being able to put together all your athletic talents by displaying better body control, shot selection, or tactical prowess. It's like we remember Minnesota Garnett for his sheer athleticism and Boston Garnett for his championships. Which one is the better peak in terms of success? How much credence do we give a player for putting up a ton of points on a bad team or putting up less points on a good team? How much do injuries and usage actually play into a player being at their peak form of athleticism?

Lebron's "best seasons" are usually his highest point scoring seasons but not his best rebound or assist seasons. One involves banging down low and the other involves ball handling, both which require high athleticism in the NBA. Shaq dealt with constant injuries after his age 27 season which was also his best season which was also 2 years older than Kareem's matchups with Wilt. Kobe again put up his best statistical scoring seasons at age 27-28. His 30 ppg aged 24 season coincided with Shaq's age 30 season, so saying playing alongside an ultrastar in his prime could lead to more statistical output. Garnett led the league in rebounding and had his best statistical scoring seasons between the ages of 27-30. Again injuries and usage saw his numbers dip after his age 30 season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I've heard that "Physical Peak at 30" more around baseball where a guy might have his best season at 30 or even a little older but that's basically unheard of in basketball.

This waa the conventional wisdom for a long time but for the most part baseball players actually peak at like 25-27. Debunking the idea that they peak in their early 30s was an early Bill James thing iirc.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 12, 2020

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Baseball is also the sport where you go out and destroy your body in every non-contact way possible. Pitchers defy the range of a human elbow and batters wrench their backs as badly as golfers. They also play a ridiculous amount with 3-4 games a week regularly from March to October. Nagging injuries are bound to sap athleticism by the time they get older.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's always fun to chuckle at Robert Sarver https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/gi3it3/suns_owner_robert_sarver_after_jayson_tatum_made/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://theathletic.com/1807946/2020/05/11/jayson-tatum-phoenix-suns-boston-celtics-draft/?source=emp_shared_article

quote:

Then the Phoenix Suns coach, Watson had played with or coached some of the best shooters ever: Ray Allen, Kevin Durant, Mike Miller, Damian Lillard and Jason Kapono. Watson had seen them do some incredible things, but he does not recall any workout quite like Jayson Tatum’s pre-draft audition for the Suns. Tatum warmed up with a ballhandling drill, Watson recalled during a phone call Monday afternoon, and then the wing went straight to the corner to shoot 3-pointers. Players normally work their way out to the arc slowly, taking closer shots first. Tatum did not bother. Even without any shots to loosen up, he was already hot.

“He drilled 40 straight off the first shot,” Watson said. “Forty straight. So I immediately turned to the owner and the GM. And I said, ‘What else do we need to see?’”

Owner Robert Sarver, however, preferred Josh Jackson:

Watson wanted Tatum badly enough to hold what he called “uncomfortable” conversations with team owner Robert Sarver, trying to convince the organization it should do whatever it took to draft the Duke star. Sarver preferred Josh Jackson, Watson said, but Watson kept pushing back with a different idea.

“We need to loving get Tatum,” Watson recalled saying.

At one point during the workout, Sarver noted the Suns “did not need another Devin Booker”. Sarver also stopped Tatum mid-shooting drill, seemingly unimpressed with his shooting touch:

As much as the combination made sense to Watson, he said Sarver saw the situation differently. He remembers Sarver saying of the Suns, “We do not need another Devin Booker.” The owner believed Tatum’s skills might too closely shadow Booker’s. Watson realized the wings would actually accentuate each other, especially with the NBA veering more toward versatility, interchangeability and skill. Tatum’s pre-draft workout for the Suns, in Los Angeles, only solidified Watson’s belief in the pairing’s potential. Beginning with the shooting demonstration, it was, as Watson said, “a crazy workout.”

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Watson said. “I could see it quick like I saw it in Devin Booker quick, when people questioned it. I could see it quick. And (during the shooting drill) the owner stopped him. I don’t know how many more he could have made, but the owner stopped the drill. And you don’t stop that drill. You just don’t. You just sit there and you admire it and you stay out of the way. So the owner stops the drill and says, ‘That’s nice. What else can you do?’ I’m like, ‘What? What? The workout should be over. This is our guy.’”

I have no clue what this feels like

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

Almost certainly. Load management is real. I think people can still be at the top of the game in their 30's.....they just can't do it 3-4 times a week is the main issue. Your body's ability to recover and recuperate in one or two nights degrades to much more of an extent than your stamina and muscles do. So being smarter about recovery, which is where so much of modern training focus is at, goes a long way.

Obviously everyone likes to make up what ifs so you take it with a grain of salt, but I remember Steve Nash in his last two failed Laker seasons saying something along the lines of "if the season only had one game a week, I'd be out there right now."

Also not an NBA game, but with all the MJ talk going on it's a good time to look back on the story of him taking on a Bobcat at 1v1 when he was 50.

quote:

He looked out the window of his office and saw his brother dominating one of the best players on the Bobcats in one-on-one. The next morning, Larry says with a smile, Jordan never made it into his office. He got as far as the team's training room, where he received treatment.

"You paying the price, aren't you?" Larry asked.

"I couldn't hardly move," Jordan said.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

Almost certainly. Load management is real. I think people can still be at the top of the game in their 30's.....they just can't do it 3-4 times a week is the main issue. Your body's ability to recover and recuperate in one or two nights degrades to much more of an extent than your stamina and muscles do. So being smarter about recovery, which is where so much of modern training focus is at, goes a long way.

Obviously everyone likes to make up what ifs so you take it with a grain of salt, but I remember Steve Nash in his last two failed Laker seasons saying something along the lines of "if the season only had one game a week, I'd be out there right now."

Also not an NBA game, but with all the MJ talk going on it's a good time to look back on the story of him taking on a Bobcats at 1v1 when he was 50.

Sarver is terrible but there is no way they were getting Tatum no matter how much they wanted him.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Sarver is terrible but there is no way they were getting Tatum no matter how much they wanted him.

During workouts the Celtics were trying to trade down so you never know but it's mostly just to laugh at Sarver interrupting a shooting drill streak and thinking that adding another scorer to complement Devin Booker is a bad thing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i miss Steve Adams' brick wall screens

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

During workouts the Celtics were trying to trade down so you never know but it's mostly just to laugh at Sarver interrupting a shooting drill streak and thinking that adding another scorer to complement Devin Booker is a bad thing

Didn't Boston pretty much immediately say they would have taken Tatum #1? They traded down because they knew LA was taking Lonzo and that Philly would want Fultz if they were on top. Given that I don't know what the Suns would have offered (outside of Booker) that would have pried any of those 3 away from their picks.

Agreed though, Sarver is the actively harmful owner in the league and that is saying something. I guess TJ Warren is pretty decent but thinking you wouldn't need a shooty, switchy, bouncy guy that plays multiple positions because you have Devin Booker and that's enough is a big brain take.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It takes a true visionary to watch Steph and Klay shoot their way to a title and a record-breaking season and then say "why would I want two shooters?"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lockback posted:

Didn't Boston pretty much immediately say they would have taken Tatum #1? They traded down because they knew LA was taking Lonzo and that Philly would want Fultz if they were on top. Given that I don't know what the Suns would have offered (outside of Booker) that would have pried any of those 3 away from their picks.

Agreed though, Sarver is the actively harmful owner in the league and that is saying something. I guess TJ Warren is pretty decent but thinking you wouldn't need a shooty, switchy, bouncy guy that plays multiple positions because you have Devin Booker and that's enough is a big brain take.

the suns gave away tj warren for cash though.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1260272163489288194?s=19

They're still gauging to see if the season might be played? Just scrap it and call it lost imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Celtics/reporters who act as PR for the Celtics have definitely played up that they would have taken Tatum 1 since it happened but my memory at the time is that they just didn't see a huge gap between the top few guys so they figured there wasn't much harm in moving down and getting extra picks. Which to their credit is still way more correct than I was on Tatum vs Fultz, though I would still really like to see a do over for Fultz's career

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'd say that regardless the bigger issue is, did sarver look at the guards from fox thru i dunno, DSJ and say "don't need another devin booker"? did he say that about markkanen? fast forward a year and did he say that about doncic? another year, did he say that about coby white? and we ended up with cam johnson anyways...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr. Funktastic posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1260272163489288194?s=19

They're still gauging to see if the season might be played? Just scrap it and call it lost imo

Players, and people in general, like millions of dollars

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

hifi posted:

I'd say that regardless the bigger issue is, did sarver look at the guards from fox thru i dunno, DSJ and say "don't need another devin booker"? did he say that about markkanen? fast forward a year and did he say that about doncic? another year, did he say that about coby white? and we ended up with cam johnson anyways...

Ayton was specifically played at Arizona and booker wanted him. He was also good choice at number 1

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hifi posted:

Ayton over Luka was mostly about wanting the local guy and Sarver being a big Arizona booster, I think.

The most recent draft they definitely went the complete opposite direction and were going with shooting above anything else.

Metapod posted:

He was also good choice at number 1

lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the 2018 draft's top 5 is in the correct order if you loop around from the third pick

luka
jjj
trae
ayton
bagley

totally defensible!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ayton is a double double machine and gets treated like he's trash

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

the young man just wants to play power forward and piss all night long, why won't they leave him alone?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Metapod posted:

Its hosed up op

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

He's not trash there just is not a universe where he's the best player in that very good draft unless some other guys get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Remember this https://twitter.com/KellanOlson/status/1213338658679345152 Thats cool. Protect Ayton