Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Basketball is gone, because Rudy Gobert rubbed his cloaca all over the rest of the league. I miss it dearly, so I've turned to the annals of history to find new (old) guys to stan,

George Gervin loving ruled, he was an unrepetentant chucker who was to finger roll layups what Kareem was to the skyhook. Remarkably durable despite his physique (skinnier KD) and habits, Gervin won four scoring titles leading a high-octane Spurs offense featuring many powerful afros and helped prove that the ABA teams could play just as well as their NBA counterparts post-merger.

In many ways, the late 70s Spurs were prototypes for the current Houston Rockets- regular season dominance, reliance on a two guard who didn't pass or play defense, lack of playoff success; the major difference was that Gervin's finger rolls were much more aesthetically pleasing than Harden's foul-drawing rolls on the ground. I encourage everyone to join me in watching oldass basketball and developing powerful new takes; we can't let our posting muscles atrophy in this ball-less era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EjHZJL6Jj8

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

context is not that hard to figure out no one ever talks about a player resigning from basketball

people talked about jordan excessively when he tendered his resignation, i assume.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

daydreaming about a vault of unseen behind-the-scenes footage of the jim boylen era

Teachable Moments: The Boylen Era

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

big boi posted:

Look I'll eat the poo poo outta some deep dish but I think we may have stumbled on the smoking gun of it being Not Pizza: you can microwave it and it's one tenth as good as it was fresh

microwaving leftover pizza is goofy anyways, just eat that poo poo cold while standing sadly in your kitchen at 3am.

ChickenMedium posted:

Everyone always harps on about deep dish pizza but Chicago's greatest culinary contribution is actually the Italian beef.

yeah, italian beef and harold's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsb-D6H3HYw

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

as a wilt and kareem stan, i have to weigh in on this debate. wilt was a much better athlete (although prime kareem was insanely athletic; people forget that, because they remember 80 year old late showtime kareem trundling down the court while the other 4 actually ran the break.)

wilt was probably a better player overall, but he was limited by his fear of killing the unathletic janitors he played most of his career if he was going full strength. kareem had a better career, and was significantly cooler as a person. kareem was pretty much the anti-jordan; completely unendorsable due to his religion and aspergers, but if you read his writing or watch him speak he comes across as a fundamentally decent human being with very strong moral principles. him boycotting the olympics alone puts him levels above jordan.

if wilt played in the 90s and got to play full-strength like shaq did he would have been the most dominant player of all time though, he was so loving big/fast/skilled. this also would have applied if he had been brave enough to shoot free throws underhanded.

i really would love a wilt documentary, the paul bunyan stories about him are probably some of the most entertaining basketball poo poo around.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Can we make it 201? The Blazers' starting center is still rehabbing...

greg oden emerging from the regeneration cube, finally prepared to start.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

Yes, Kareem was the best scorer of the 1970s and the second best scorer of the 1980s (behind Adrian Dantley).

An interesting question is WHAT IF Artis Gilmore got to play with Oscar Robertson in the early 1970s and then Magic Johnson and a loaded Lakers team in the 1980s. I think he'd be much, much more famous.

artis was definitely much cooler looking than kareem, he's aged into a giant egg though.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

Five more for each of those earlier decades:

1970s:
Artis Gilmore
Dan Issel
Julius Erving
Bob McAdoo
George Gervin

1960s:
Oscar Robertson
Walt Bellamy
Jerry West
Bailey Howell
Jerry Lucas

1950s:
Neil Johnston
Ed Macauley
Kenny Sears
Bob Pettit
Paul Arizin

bro how the gently caress do you have bailey howell on your 60s list over elgin baylor? one season in the 60s under 24ppg, howell literally never broke 24ppg. howell was more efficient, but baylor was taking significantly more difficult shots unless howell was pioneering the stretch big position.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 19, 2020

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

His shooting percentages were significantly better.

Bailey Howell had ten seasons with a TS% over 52% (only Oscar Robertson had more from 1960-1971). Elgin Baylor did that only once in his career.

52% TS% in the 1960s is more like 58% TS% in the 2010s. And doing that for a whole decade is LBJ/Durant/Harden territory.

Elgin Baylor is overrated due to Lakers mystique and insane chucking etc. When he retired the Lakers immediately won 33 consecutive games powered by Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain.

i mean judging elgin based on his last year is like judging shaq based on his cavs year, he was old and had no knees at that point. baylor was a relentless chucker, he was definitely the proto-kobe (except better as a human being), but he still scored a metric shitload of points; volume does matter when you're judging scorers if dude is averaging like ten/fifteen more points a game in his prime.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

this is why kareem's the goat. jordan probably scared about his shoe portfolio rn or the golf course getting burned down.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

i challenged MJ, so he had to drop 50 on me. therefore i am not owned, and never have been; this is what i wanted.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know that’s not your point but it’s extremely funny to think of Kobe as the Woody Allen of basketball

karl malone is the woody allen of basketball (overrated based on volume of work, pedophile, massive biceps)

Spoeank posted:

Buddy Hield's name is Chavano and he's just gone by Buddy for the last ~35 years

buddy hield played in the aba with these guys, you cannot convince me otherwise.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 3, 2020

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

i went ahead and set up a discord exile for the thread to call home since sas discord is , come join me in temecula. PM me if you want an invite or post ITT if you don't have plat (don't buy plat), not posting a link to avoid bad apples. i'll go through the thread and pm/email everyone who already asked for a link.

gently caress lowtax, and his michael porter jr-esque back.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't see why the forums would shut down but if everyone is leaving I am definitely not following to discord so good luck to You All love ya

because people don't want to indirectly support a huge piece of poo poo domestic abuser by contributing to site traffic/ give him money with the stuff that costs money on SA. the forums might continue, but i'm personally not going to post on them if lowtax continues to own them, and i think a pretty significant chunk of the posting populace will be out too.

good luck to you, and bad luck to everyone on your green team but cal legend jaylen brown.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

i know of a site looking to change owners

something awful needs a new Governor

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Embiid lost out on to ROY to Malcom Brogdon solely because of games played, so Ja should win ROY easily

it was also his third loving nba season. we either have to stop letting the sixers redefine the meaning of a rookie. or retroactively award Dr J ROTY for his 76-77 season.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

i'm getting *inhales steam* hints of timeclocks, and... teachable moments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

pj tucker was supposed to catch corona, but he just boxed out the antibodies for russ.