Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Again why did ESPN hire a player who was known for no talking only scowling to be a talking head

Probably because he uses Twitter a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
It's funny bullshit so we love it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/danfavale/status/1257319153305653248?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
An oldie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-dASYRna7s

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Stop being a raging dickhead, monkeu.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/1259534474049662982?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

morestuff posted:

Boogie was good but winning has to count for at least a little

Then why are some people going to bat for AD?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dokmo noooo

Why charges? D:

We need to discourage that poo poo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

surf rock posted:

It's weird that I know almost the whole 1960s list, but only a couple players on the 1970s list and nobody on that 1950s list.

edit: I'm surprised that Bill Russell didn't make your 1960s list.

Bob Petit was pretty well known, I thought?

The only one on that 70s list that I'm not familiar with is Dan Issel.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

Mostly he just got really good at shooting again, and Lonzo suddenly got passable as a spot up guy so I think LA just literally does not have a shooting coach at all, or has the worst one on Earth.

IIRC, yeah, the Lakers didn't have a shooting coach. The Gentry/Finch offense also tasked Ingram with taking more 3s instead of long 2s. They didn't tell him to stop taking mid-range 2s entirely, just no more of the long ones.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Talking about Robert Parish on another forum and I wondered who had played longer between him and Vince because I couldn't remember. So, I looked it up on bbref:

Regular season:
Parish: 21 seasons, 1,611 games, 45,704 minutes
Carter: 22 seasons, 1,541 games, 46,367 minutes

Playoffs:
Parish: 184 games, 6,177 minutes
Carter: 88 games, 3,033 minutes

Total:
Parish: 1,795 games, 51,881 minutes
Carter: 1,629 games, 49,400 minutes

Pretty dang close, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

Magic TOLD him to shoot 2s instead of 3s, overuling Walton.

Magic is so bad at every job directly related to running a basketball team other than playing. It is remarkable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Also, I will admit that I was very nervous about Ingram coming to the Pels. He was in that dangerous spot of being a player that would need to be offered a max or near max to stay but not actually being worth that much. I was worried they would either lose a potentially solid player or overpay him with a star's contract despite not being good enough.

Extremely surprised with how well he did this season. I am still not fully confident he won't come crashing back down to earth after getting paid, but it has dropped significantly from the list of my biggest concerns for the team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

82 game season but no cross country trips and you play each in-division opponent 10 times

omg, the Southwest Division would have all the fans screaming bloody murder over how each team's best players are officiated. It will be ridiculous and annoying to be online.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

This was great.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I will never forget the first two times I went to Carlsbad Caverns and saw the bats fly out. A cloud of bats so big, they blocked out the setting sun. It was ridiculous and loving awesome.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
RIP to a legend.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dexo posted:

lmao if any lottery team wins a single game in these regular season runs their GM's should be fired on the spot.

Like the Bulls should tell, Zach, Lauri, WCJ, Coby, Gafford, Porter, Thad, and Sato to stay home.

I better see an Archi, Shaq, Mokoka, Kornet, Felicio lineup for 40 minutes in these games.

The Pels would probably win some even if they only played their rookie contract players the majority of all the minutes, tbh. To intentionally lose, they would probably need to play Hayes, Okafor, NAW, Frank Jackson, Zylan Cheatham, and Josh Gray. I dunno if I want to see that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

euphronius posted:

Did Okafor ever figure out how not to get destroyed in PnRs

No. He moves his feet better but he doesn't anticipate quick enough to overcome his lateral footspeed. His end-to-end speed is much better than I remember it ever being. But the lateral quickness is what dooms him to only being playable against unathletic frontcourts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

That's not the point though. You add more people you add more risk that someone gets the virus. Why risk having Julius Randle give Giannis Corona? What benefit outside of profit does that give? We played 60+ game season that's a good sample we know how good these teams are.

Yeah, and let's use SRS to account for the uneven schedules teams have played:

e: oh man, all the storylines in the WC first round playoffs if this happened

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Lol they would never do this

Just because something won't happen, won't make me stop dreaming of it. Much like a CP3 championship.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Bip Roberts posted:

Does this mess up the WNBA season and would the NBA be okay with so much overlap?

If they could have WNBA games preempt NBA games instead of like, Bones, I think it would actually do some good numbers for the WNBA.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If the league decided to do a play in tournament what would you want to see?

East and West or West only?

Bye or Top Seed for Memphis/Brooklyn/Orlando?

Include 13th seed Phoenix? 12th seed San Antionio?

The NHL may be doing this, which sounds pretty cool:

quote:

The players' approved playoff plan would temporarily replace the divisional wild-card format the league has used since 2012-13 with two conference tournaments of 12 teams. Expanding the Stanley Cup Playoffs from 16 to 24 teams has been favored by the NHL as an equitable solution for teams that were near the playoff bubble when the season was paused.

Under the plan, the top four seeds in each conference, as determined by their standings points percentage when the regular season was paused on March 12, would receive byes through a round of best-of-five, play-in series featuring seeds 5 through 12. Those play-in series would determine which teams advance to a traditional 16-team Stanley Cup Playoff bracket, which would then have seven-game series.

Those top four teams in each conference won't sit idly by. The format calls for these teams to face one another to remain sharp ahead of the next round of the playoffs -- which had been a concern from the players. The top four teams would essentially play some form of a round-robin tournament that would reseed them before the round of 16. A final decision on that format will be made when the NHL signs off on it.

If done for the NBA, it would supposedly look like this:

quote:

In the East it would be
First round: Pacers/Knicks, 76ers/Bulls, Nets/Hornets, Magic/Wizards with Bucks, Raptors, Celtics, Heat doing something sort of pool play/tournament

West: Thunder/Spurs, Rockets/Kings, Mavs/Pels, Grizz/Blazers and Lakers, Clipers, Nuggets, Jazz in the pool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Those beds are going to be comically short for so many NBA players and staff. Ceilings, too, probably. Not to mention the tiny bathtubs and toilets. That would suck.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Or just drop them from the roster if they aren't actually important enough to them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm probably in favor of the pure laissez faire approach that you can use your roster as you wish for either short or long term strategy but if there are rules I like more explicitly written ones that treat all players on the roster equally then a general touchy feely play your stars or maybe we'll fine you.

Welcome to the Pels for the latter half of the season last year. Star player doesn't want to play for the franchise anymore (requested a trade) and the franchise is better served by sitting him for better draft positioning and also waiting for more trade offers to become possible (some players/picks can't get traded till the off-season and/or draft) to get a better deal.

But he's a star and must be played. And, despite wanting to be trade, the player still wants to play NBA basketball while waiting for a trade to go through.

So, you have three powers competing for whether the star player should be played: the player themself, the league as a whole, and the franchise. It is a stupid situation and I hated it and am glad it is over and hope it never happens to anyone again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Lockback posted:

AD wanted to play (reportedly) and the NBA emphasized that the Pelicans sitting out a healthy, willing Davis was against the rules (but only AFTER the trade deadline, it was fine before). Eventually Davis relented on wanting to play and then no one cared. So yeah, I guess its a good example but the player actively wanted to continue playing so there's some other things at play other than just competitiveness.

It's also never a good look when the star player of a team gets boo'd relentlessly at his own team's home games.

e: and then he wore a "That's All, Folks!" shirt at his last home game and claimed later that he didn't pick it out himself, it was just waiting for him to put on

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Lockback posted:

Yeah it was a super messy situation and I really feel bad for you guys. Looking forward to the years of KAT trade rumors though!!

It's going to suck and no player, team, or fan needs to go through something like that again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dinosaurs! posted:

An internal “let’s not rock the boat because” from Dolan is pathetic on a level I hadn’t imagined possible. I figured, at the bare minimum, every team would issue a bland “we support good” message.

Even Benson came out and said specifically that police brutality is bad and needs to end. I don't know if she went as far as saying "black lives matter", though.

She is supposed to be cooperating with a group lead by Redick, Lonzo, and a player from the Saints I can remember the name of to find ways to help black and brown communities with <something I can't remember because it was hours ago and it is probably mostly talk, anyway>.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 2, 2020

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/cclark3000/status/1267601841921175553?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

I saw the Blue Lives Matter meltdown that caused him to lock his main account but holy poo poo is that actually him?

No actual confirmation, so it is either him, someone wanting to impersonate him to make him look even worse, or someone trolling Mason with antisemitism (which is actually somewhat common on his twitter account).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
To me, Jrue Holiday is the only NOLA pro sports "drew":

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1268216644528222218?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/1268184234155524097?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

Why is it that public amateur scouts end up being racists like, fairly often?

He was employed by the Wizards to cut film, iirc. Not sure if he quit or was fired or what, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Zeta Acosta posted:

what does this means that those teams are so bad that there is no point in playing against them?

Yeah, which sucks for Pels fans because their schedule was going to be fairly heavy with those teams. So this new schedule will make it harder for them to catch up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I like my pretty good and well positioned for the future basketball team.

Same.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Now ill believe it when I see it but supposedly there is a real chance for andre roberson to play in these remaining 8 games

That would be cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
This is much better, Brees:

https://twitter.com/drewbrees/status/1269089165972471814?s=20

I still don't acknowledge your Jrue-ness, though. You gonna have to do a lot more to earn that back.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Aldridge apparently had the surgery done at the end of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Not really post-worthy, but maybe someone remembers and cares about this guy:

https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1270194569347391490?s=20