Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I never really knew as a kid if Van Exel was good or not but I liked him because he stood really far behind the line while shooting free throws (something I would imitate a lot in the hopes that maybe it'd make me better at free throws somehow) and he was my mom's 2nd favorite player behind Patrick Ewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The year they tried the new ball design, were there any studies to show how play was affected? I know they showed that it bounced/handled differently. Wonder if that's gonna happen again.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wnmz79/the-nba-ball-that-everyone-hated-throwback-thursday

here's an article on it that mentions some stuff. Scoring apparently went up with the synthetic ball but Cuban (of course) had physicists test it who confirmed that the ball became slippery easier, was significantly less bouncy, and more erratic in how it bounced.

the complaint that always stuck out to me about it though was shooters like Nash, Dirk, Jason Terry, and Ray Allen saying it made their hands bleed. Seems hard to play like that

e: I also like the tidbit that Ralph Nader chimed in to chastise the league for not consulting with the players on the change

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
JET's cool he's just an incredible loudmouth and I get why that would be grating. That said, he did say Lebron couldn't guard him for a full series and wound up being kinda right lol

Peja killed the Lakers and then retreated to his home planet

Dejan Bimble posted:

He and Deshawn Stevenson helped them defend Lebron. That was a victory of team depth PNR.freeks und the UNKNOWN

Having Marion/Stevenson/Kidd to rotate between Wade and LeBron was a really huge deal, I'm not gonna comb all the 2011 rosters but I think very few teams had the ability to throw a variety of different, effective looks at those two, and while Wade was probably still the best player in the series, Lebron basically malfunctioned as someone in this thread likes to say (can't remember who)

Also I might be overstating this because in my head the 2011 Mavs are history's greatest heroes, but I lowkey think the Mavs-Lakers series that year was a pivot point for the NBA as we know it right now. It seems quaint now, obviously, but at the time Peja and Terry going 15/16 from 3 in g4 to sweep the Lakers and end Phil's coaching career was a stunner beyond compare, you just didn't wipe out basketball royalty by playing like that.

Man I love that team. Might watch some of those games today, I think. Game 2 of the finals is my favorite basketball game ever

e: it also goes to show how volatile reputations are. a week before those playoffs began you couldn't pay a national commentator to say something nice about Dirk in the playoffs and then he was playoff Terminator. a week after those playoffs Lebron was getting the same treatment and now *gestures around*

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 14, 2020

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

Even ignoring the rings (which I don't know why we'd throw those out, he was the best player on all but one of the teams and in at least a couple cases was dragging otherwise not that great teams with him) Duncan was better than both those guys

Yeah. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Dirk ahead of Duncan (and everyone else) on the WS list for the decade but I think best player is clearly Duncan. Most influential/biggest star is clearly Kobe. I'll content myself to know that REAL hoopers appreciate Dirk's arsenal of jimbos

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Ignoring the whole "why are we re-opening anything just now" thing, I don't really care what they do cuz in my head the season was aborted and whatever scheme they come up with to finish it is just a weird exhibition thing

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffzillgitt/status/1264612265006895110?s=21

This is maybe the most fair way to handle it but I’m not sure how many teams that actually rules out

depends how long a season they try to play. five knocks out the suns and wolves in the west and ends the Eastern Conference playoff race entirely. ten only gets rid of the bottom 3 in the east, the wolves, and the warriors who under that plan are out regardless

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I didn't like the emphasis this year on calling traveling on players who start moving before dribbling when coming out of a triple thread at the 3pt line.

yeah this poo poo sucked.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

restriction: must have Dirk, must not think too hard

Payton
Roy
Mullin
Dirk
Walton

leaning heavily on the "all players at peak" thing with Roy, feel like that stip gives a lot of value to guys like him, Penny, Hill, every other perpetually injured guy

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

As per stated rules, max 2 per 'era'.

Which makes it hard because playing by modern rules and playstyle I think about three quarters of those 60s & 70s players would not be all-stars in the modern game.

It's also just a value question, like sure I think Dr. J would probably still be fine but for six dollars Durant or Bird or someone is equally fine relative to their era and are much more likely to hit a 3 in a modern offense.

Walton's probably the most attractive antique pick to me. I think big man poo poo like rebounding and defense probably would translate most reliably, it's an MVP peak for $4, he was a great passer so even if he can't score he probably won't grind your offense to a halt, and "at peak" means his foot works.

Payton, Penny, Walton, those are Dutchy's Famous Stone Cold Bargain Locks of the Week. Mullin's also interesting just because he's a Classic Era wing that can shoot a bit for $1, if you need shooting and filled your modern slots but don't have the money for Bird or Reggie. Mid-00s Elton Brand for $1 also seems kinda great to me though I think it's probably better to get modern guys with 3 point ability if possible. I've thought way too much about this picture tonight and now I've posted three short paragraphs about it. Good night

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 28, 2020

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Even in shape Luka is kinda fat, not concerned. Topic locked.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

ah, voting. why didn't anyone think of that

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hey gently caress you man, you don't know anything about what anyone in this thread is doing!

Yall don't even get drunk and read the something awful thread about police brutality smgdh Malcolm x and Fred Hampton turning in their mf grave

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'm confident he'll be ready for the loss in five games to the Clippers. Fat Luka last year didn't get winded till March

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Rick posted:

All of this has happened because I said "Luka has never been good between March and July, that's fun to post, I hope it doesn't change this year" and the world undid itself to make it happen.

Hashtag blessed

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Time to come clean: i am Tom Brady

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

how could you do this to me

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

DWade 2006 is one of the more underrated Finals MVP performances.

because it was wholly FRAUDULENT and i am going to KILL the officials from that series of NBA BASKETBALL

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
He should go to one of the American cities without racism and sociopathic violent militarized police

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

Discord is garbage

Sadness

so is like 99% of something awful tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Let's just keep posting here until they erase the website because nothing else will be the same

pretty much my plan, though i'm pretty much here out of inertia at this point and if SAS NBA and the Imp Zone become either figuratively or literally unreadable I think I'm gonna give up online for a cabin in Montana where I watch the 2011 Mavs playoff run on repeat until god claims me