Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm surprised "finish the regular season" is even on the table. It would be one thing if fans were allowed back from a revenue perspective, but without that, like... why? The standings are pretty representative of team quality at this point, and nobody gives a gently caress if it's the Grizzlies or Blazers who lose to the Lakers in the first round. If they must play at all, just do the exhibition postseason and get it over with quickly, then start sorting out actual plans for next season.

Edit: I guess one possible benefit is using it as a de facto preseason so that the playoffs aren't poo poo-tier quality basketball, but it still doesn't seem worth the time and trouble.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

If there were 32 teams in the league, a World Cup setup would have been a great gimmick. Can you imagine the hype around the group draw. Some team like the Raptors or Nuggets end up in a group with the Lakers and Bucks, meanwhile the Bulls, Knicks, Magic, and Suns all end up together.

Now if the NFL season were to be shortened by a couple months...

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 29, 2020

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Even if the NBA season never resumes, at least they're delivering on the quality offseason.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Who was better and why? Prime Steve Nash vs Prime Jason Kidd

Nash was a 50/40/90 guy in his prime. Kidd never sniffed those numbers, although he did develop the 3-pt stroke at the end of his career. Also, Nash wasn't a woman-beater AFAIK.

Makes me think of a semi-related question, how would Reggie Miller look in 2010s-style analytics-driven basketball?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Late to Chris Paul chat, but the thing that always amazed me the most about him was how fast he processed the game in real time. I think it's also a big part of why he was/is such a surly rear end in a top hat. He can't understand why his teammates aren't playing 5 moves ahead like he is. Obviously people here have a good handle on the game, but I think most casual fans would be shocked if you told them CP3 was the second greatest PG all time. I'd put him over Stockton since Stockton was never the best player on his best teams. I think people overvalue the longevity and stability when comparing the skill level these two. If anything, the fact that Paul played at an elite level with multiple teams despite all his injuries is more impressive personally.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Aye Doc posted:

drat KD woulda never left. we'd be talking about the Oklahoma City Thunder dynasty right now. asking if going 5 for 5 in championship series in the current day is more impressive than MJ's 6 for 6. never woulda got a GSW dynasty. wouldn't have been no 3-1 LeBron comeback. hosed up to think about how cool the Thunder could have been with such a small change

I don't think swapping CP3 for Russ in 2015 or so would count as a "small change" lol. That exact trade was a huge deal in 2019 when people were questioning if one party was completely washed and the other was beginning the downhill side of his career, and neither was going to a top-tier contender.

On the flip side of this thought experiment, the idea of a Russ/Blake/DJ Clippers team is hilarious. An absolute non-stop highlight reel of 40-45 win basketball.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

chunkles posted:

ive obtained top secret intelligence that the rockets intend to play fast

https://twitter.com/kellyikonba/status/1279101096372428801?s=21

no word yet on whether they intend to also take a lot of 3s. more as this develops

While it will almost certainly still come down to Lakers/Bucks/Clips, I feel like the Rockets are the one team whose chances are somewhat improved with the layoff. If other contenders' bigs come back in substandard cardio shape, they could be in real trouble.

Of course, James Harden could also tear an ACL on a Eurostep, so I shouldn't be too confident.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Declan MacManus posted:

let’s embrace debate for a minute: how many nba players is lebron james better than with only 70% lung capacity

we’ll assume this affects things like his conditioning and stamina but nothing else; he shoots the same, he passes the same, he sees the floor the same, but he can’t run out on the break and he can only play about 30 mpg (and he’s totally gassed at the end of it so no dunks at the end of the game, jump shots with no legs under them, etc etc)

He's putting up 26/8/11 at about 35 minutes a game this year. If you reduce his minutes to 30 and hold the percentages, he would still be the only 22/7/9 player in the league.

With the "half court only" caveat, you could knock off a couple points and assists. His rebounds could potentially improve if he was staying back on defense and never looking to run, but if you knock him down to 19/7/7, he's still only behind Luka.

You probably have to assume his defense suffers too (absolutely no chasedown blocks), so if you cut his win shares by as much as his lung capacity, his 6.65 would still put him at #21 in the league this year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Even asking this is going to sound like blasphemy to some posters, so apologies in advanced. Which player would you rather have play their entire career for your favorite team, Kobe Bryant or Chris Paul?

Since my favorite team is the Rockets, I would lean Chris Paul. Kobe would've made those early 2000s Stevie Franchise teams a lot better. Not like contender better, but better to the point where they never get Yao. Now a hypothetical Yao/Kobe team would've ruled in the years Yao stayed healthy for the playoffs. A Kobe/T-Mac team would've been some peak mid 2000s iso ball that got wrecked by the Spurs every year. The problem is that by the time Harden was available, Kobe would be washed and overstaying his welcome at the wrong position.

Chris Paul's career lines up much more nicely with the Rockets timeline. By 2008, he would've been good enough to put that awesome Ron Artest team over the top even with T-Mac and Yao going down. The post Yao/pre-Harden teams would've been Hornets-level competitive at least, and given that Paul/Harden experiment worked really well for one year, it's hard to imagine that duo not winning a championship in 8+ tries, especially if they still got a couple decent Dwight years in there.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Rockets are gonna get reamed by top-tier team in the playoffs, but watching them break down middling teams with 48 minutes of blow-by layups and open threes is pretty fun until then.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Giannis will feast on the Rockets on Sunday but thankfully it won't be an issue in the playoffs because the Lakers are going to annihilate them

I'm picturing Tucker trying to guard AD

And... uh.... I guess House trying to guard Lebron? oh god

I'm more worried about the Clippers. The Lakers (though they would still win) have enough bigs that are uncomfortable playing away from the rim and aren't that great shooting threes as a team which is what the Rockets approach relies on. The Clippers just have endless wings (insert Lou Williams joke here) that can swtich and contest shots at the rim or the 3-pt line, and play efficiently on offense, especially when guarded by someone smaller. They're big enough to bully Houston on offense, but not so big that they get lost or tired trying to keep up with the Rockets' pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I don't suspect he'll be getting nearly as many minutes when Trez is back.