Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's easy to get carried away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CommonShore posted:

I think you underestimate how often fat out of shape people will buy athletic clothing to make themselves feel sporty

Oh yea thats a really good point actually.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
If I'm new to watching MMA, are there any cool recent fights I should check out? I am not really sure where to look.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Skyarb posted:

If I'm new to watching MMA, are there any cool recent fights I should check out? I am not really sure where to look.

UFC puts out free fights on youtube every now and then

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Zhang Weili is a great recent-ish fight to check out

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LobsterMobster posted:

If I see a better fight this year I'll count myself lucky. That was incredible.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Well, easiest to access if you don't have Fightpass (or ESPN+ I guess but gently caress that service) is go to the UFC's YouTube page and ctrl+f "Free fight", usually there's only a couple available as promotion for their next show (they'll take em down after some time) but since there's been no shows lately they've just been posting a bunch of random cool fights from over the years, as of me posting this there's 56 of them on the page.

For everything else you'll need some kind of way to watch specific fights, but as for which to choose:

Click here for the 2019 Best of MMA awards thread, which also has some previous year stuff listed for some reason

Click here for the 2010-2019 decade Best of MMA awards thread, which obviously is gonna have a bit of overlap of the link above, but also has stuff of it's own

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skyarb posted:

it's not all that recent but UFC put up Lawler v MacDonald 2 onto their Youtube channel a week or two ago and it's absolutely fantastic

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Julio Cruz posted:

it's not all that recent but UFC put up Lawler v MacDonald 2 onto their Youtube channel a week or two ago and it's absolutely fantastic

Might be the best fight ever on film.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Always start with Leben Akiyama

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lawler-MacDonald 2 is one of the best fights ever in any combat sport. When someone says that MMA isn't as good as it was "back in the day with Chuck and Tito" I know 100% instantly that they haven't seen that fight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
We watched Lawler-McDonald 2 at my friend's bachelor party with a bunch of people unfamiliar with MMA and everyone lost their loving minds. Guys wanted me to get them rips the next day so they could watch it again.

Personal favourite is still Wanderlei-Rampage 1 and 2. 3+ will just make you very sad for life without dumptrucks of steroids. They're not recent but I will never not hype those fights.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 5, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

Best female MMA fight ever?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rigel posted:

Overall yes but Holly beating Rousey is an all time favorite

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skyarb posted:

They just put Gaethje vs Edson Barboza onto the UFC YouTube channel. That's worth a watch.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LobsterMobster posted:

If that's the last good non-quarantine championship fight I watched live, I will die happy.

Yes, Adesanya vs Romero followed that fight. I said good championship fight.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This mash up of tonys 12 fight win streak is pretty sweet too

https://youtu.be/f6WLWpUinNU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

kensei posted:

Holy poo poo that was fun :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

This mash up of tonys 12 fight win streak is pretty sweet too

https://youtu.be/f6WLWpUinNU

Sweet, though I forgot it was Ferguson who derailed the Kikuno hype train :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

Did they put that one on youtube?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

Did they put that one on youtube?

Not yet no. They did put it on ESPN a few weeks ago to fill air time in lieu of one of the UFC cards iirc.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Rigel posted:

It's certainly up there for me.

Rose vs Joanna 2 was great as well. And I have a strong personal appreciation for Amanda Nunes title wins plus her Ronda fight because lol

What's pretty nuts is that the night before Joanna vs Zhang, Invicta had a great, brutal and bloody bantamweight title fight between Lisa Verzosa and Julija Stoliarenko that for nearly 24 hours was up there for best fights of 2020/best womens bouts ever

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jack Slack put up A Filthy Casual's Guide to Tony Ferguson worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUzV7uGeBnU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Shine posted:

Holy poo poo that was fun :D

Yes it was. That BWW exploded in cheers and we were in the middle of it lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WRT Great WMMA fights: The early Invicta cards had some crazy fights too. Leslie Smith had a couple of insane ones, as did Alexis Davis - Davis and Kaufmann had at least one madcap bloodbath. Maybe I'll make a project of going back and watching those fights just to report on them.

Cat Zingano's first two UFC fights were both really good as well.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Best womens fight is Jessamyn Duke and Peggy Morgan.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Carmouche-Rousey was also kinda fun for the momentary nail-biter of Ronda's debut potentially being derailed as hard as Brock's.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OgfWrve33c

Rise Of Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Dude...his jab against Crowder is so fast you can't loving see it on the slowmo, what the hell kind of heavyweight is this.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

kensei posted:

that headkick and bullet valentina kicking jessica eye's goddamn head off her shoulders both made me jump out of my loving seat. love a good headkick

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Jeezus, Junior :stare: Also, do something about that quarantine-stache, my dude.

Wasn't it Andrade who hit Kowalkiewicz so hard you could see her soul leave her body? That one got me to jump off the couch.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My favorite WMMA fight is the Joanna vs. Carla Esparza beatdown.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Brut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OgfWrve33c

Rise Of Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Dude...his jab against Crowder is so fast you can't loving see it on the slowmo, what the hell kind of heavyweight is this.

Lol no it's not, it's just really short and his head is in the way of the camera.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Typically I don't care to post the Embedded Vlogs the UFC does, but the one they just put out features a lot of the behind the scenes staff getting equipment etc. and also what their preparation for the prevention of disease spread is gonna be. On top of typical "look at how cool behind the scenes of events videos are" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiOXf4KNiw

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Jeezus, Junior :stare: Also, do something about that quarantine-stache, my dude.

Wasn't it Andrade who hit Kowalkiewicz so hard you could see her soul leave her body? That one got me to jump off the couch.

The ultimate anime death punch was Nganou's uppercut on overeem

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Byolante posted:

The ultimate anime death punch was Nganou's uppercut on overeem
Anderson jab-KOing Forest.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Typically I don't care to post the Embedded Vlogs the UFC does, but the one they just put out features a lot of the behind the scenes staff getting equipment etc. and also what their preparation for the prevention of disease spread is gonna be. On top of typical "look at how cool behind the scenes of events videos are" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiOXf4KNiw

Well if anything these videos existing proves that 249 is actually *probably* going to happen.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I totally forgot that Cruz wasn't retired, what in the world, go away

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Better than listening to him call fights like Khabib-Conor

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I remember Nunes/Shevchenko 2 being like razor's edge close and a sick fight to see with a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Power of Pecota posted:

I remember Nunes/Shevchenko 2 being like razor's edge close and a sick fight to see with a friend

I remember Shevchenko throwing a hissyfit of a promo after about how she felt the judges were idiots while still in the cage which was great.