Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Untrustable posted:

No rules in the Oildome except the unspoken rule that it you didn't enter, you were a punk bitch.

Surely the rules were just to gently caress someone up and make it obvious who won rather than like actually loving someone up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Julio Cruz posted:

it's not all that recent but UFC put up Lawler v MacDonald 2 onto their Youtube channel a week or two ago and it's absolutely fantastic

Might be the best fight ever on film.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I cannot with any confidence say how tony vs justin goes. I could see tony getting a crazy late submission or something if the pace is so high that even justin wilts, but tony gets clipped and I don't know how he deals with striking as crisp and effective as justins. I dunno, maybe gaethje gives tony a below knee amputation in the first round because the last thing you want is to deal with a leg kicker like gaethje after having massive knee surgery.

The only thing I can say with confidence, is that this fight between these two guys happening now, rather than after either of them face khabib is that neither of these guys will be the same after fighting each other and honestly makes me think neither of them would want to fight khabib for atleast a year.

edit: Could see gaethje swarming early and going for a r1 knockout but who knows. blood for the blood god.

Shadow225 posted:

I think Gaethje wins. Tony is a class act for taking this fight and should get a title shot win or lose because this is a lopsided situation for him.

Other fighters too, but riding a 12 win streak is something that Dana and Shelby should protect if they were smarter.

I don't think tonys getting the attention or the media push someone of his ability would normally get because he is a confirmed schizophrenic and that will come with a lot of talk about how he is "unreliable" and they probably don't really trust him in front of a camera. zuffa era ufc might have pushed him more, but not now.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 8, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gaethjes defense has improved significantly, hes not quite the homer simpson memes anymore.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I love the UFC.

Foul Fowl posted:

i've been really impressed by gaethje but he has fought the three most perfect opponents for a guy like him since the poirier loss. vick, barboza and cerrone all wilt under pressure and have done their whole careers. i don't really have a clue what's gonna happen in this fight other than that tony probably wins if it goes late.

Yeah fair, particularly I thought the barboza fight went the way it did because gaethje did not want stand and bang with him.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dan Didio posted:

That is an interesting view of that fight, what makes you think that?

Off the top of my head I remember that he stayed within short to medium range for aslong as possible, maintained the pressure, muscled him up to the fence and went for what I thought was a pretty egregious eyepoke followed by the knockout. Arguably he fought the ideal fight against mr. highlight reel.

Edit:

Its actually on youtube right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QavEsLbjGY

Yeah they exchange more in the middle of the octagon than I remembered, but gaethje eats an early head kick and nopes the gently caress out of standing at range with him.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pretty impressed with the card over all, kattar vs stephens was a ton on fun. Kattars really come a long way. Would love to see him get a crack at volkanovski.

Francie Vs rozenstruik went exactly as I expected it to - with the cavaet that either of them could have pulled that off. Would love to see Ngannou actually git gud tho. But thats probably out of the question. (Cos he doesn't really need to.)

Gaethje Ferguson was wild. I was sitting lookign at it and wondering how gaethje was dominating ferguson and how ferguson was still able to stand after the first two round. Though that uppercut from ferguson at the end of round two made me think he was still capable of coming back, thought he'd go for a submission attempt some time late - but he just half heartedly tried an imanari roll. Too little too late to try and change things up.

Gaethjes a goddamn savage and disciplined gaethje is incredible. I'll have to rewatch the fight in a week or two. I haven't really absorbed it fully. I also haven't seen someones (fergusons) lizard brain take over at the end of the fight since lawler broke rory.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

1. Cejudo never beat DJ.

2. Dom was out so long he shouldn't have had a championship fight for his return. Should have placed him against a top contender and if he dies he dies. Far too much leeway given to him for having been the early bantamweight guy.

3. Peterson should have let Cejudo beat up dom for way longer.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It does look like athletes are going to each poo poo for the sake of WME-IMG's contract obligations to disney.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

BaconPirate posted:

He hasn't proved himself against any top wrestlers, why you just assume he is going to able to take Gaethje down and hold him there is beyond me

We are not yet in the "khabib was never good" phase of discussion.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Dave posted:

It’s a type of poetry that thread has reached “Anderson was bad” and “Ngannou is unstoppable” at the exact same time.

The thread has CTE.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

not watching fights is a thread staple and a part of all posters fight watching careers.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He's one liver shot away from a coma for years. Wouldn't worry about it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

We were supposed to get till v Bobby knuckles here in august. That would have been some solid violence.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

JBJ might have had a chance if he hadn't been so successful so young. He might be ok in his forties but probably not. I guess he has to get knocked out at some point so that might be a turning point.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kimbo305 posted:

I think you're saying Smith had what it takes to beat Jones, and I don't agree with that.

It was a potential DQ from an illegal knee - and not having taken the belt is why, imo, we've seen Smith hanging out in the box with bisping and those guys cashing a cheque to bullshit over the fights. It's a sop to good company men.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brut posted:

Stun Gun's retired right? His last fight was in 2017 against the at the time unranked Colby, which looked bad at the time but looking at his resume now he's 22-4 with his only other losses being to Condit, Maia and Woodley, that's pretty good in retrospect.

Looks like he got out while the going was good, he's spending a lot of time on korean variety shows so I guess he's hung em up.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bluedeanie posted:

Will Conor McGregor defeat the greatest striker of all time, assuming time stopped in 2012 like the Mayans said so? Or will Anderson Silva triumphantly prove age has not slowed him down by beating up a small child who is addicted to cocaine? Either way, Dangersim will return and post a lot of interesting and nuanced posts about it if it ever happens

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/05/28/conor-mcgregor-accepts-anderson-silva-fight-at-ufc-catchweight/amp/

lol at the two most infamous mma counterstrikers of all time going at it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

brian posted:

man this thread gets weirdly white centric with its attractive mma fighter designation

gently caress off

edit: Arlovskis the most fuckable man in the ufc.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Untrustable posted:

I was on the fence about Arlovski due to his chin. If you were hitting it from the back and his head smacked the headboard he'd be instantly unconscious.

Shadow225 posted:

You gonna complain about getting two finishes in 3 minutes?

:perfect:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hot dogs? Well, former UFC, Johnny Hendricks ofc.

Current UFC? At firstI was leaning towards a heavyweight but, tbh - its probably someone like cody or maybe PMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

EthanSteele posted:

Based on how big he was last time I saw him the only way he's managing that is by cutting off both his legs.

He'll shrink down a bit if he's off the juice.