Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This final act stuff (I have to assume it's the final act) is really incredible, Hong Kong and Kowloon felt closer to Yakuza games in their pace and structure, I was worried Ryo had left the pastoral life behind, and then Suzuki hits you with the 4 hour walk and talk I love this. Shenhua and Ryo's conversation in the cave is some next level drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ty gamer :hai:

Also lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What an ending

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Now pretend you’ve waited over 15 years and the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter gets announced

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gonna repeat what I said on the end of the last page: it’s amazing how much it feels like a proper Shenmue game but be prepared for the combat to suddenly feel really awful. I recommend easy mode.

Also, to alleviate money woes, my recommendation is you pick all the herbs you can find and then sell the biggest sets. You shouldn’t have any problems if you do that.

Enjoy the long awaited continuation of the saga.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

man nurse posted:

Gonna repeat what I said on the end of the last page: it’s amazing how much it feels like a proper Shenmue game but be prepared for the combat to suddenly feel really awful. I recommend easy mode.

Also, to alleviate money woes, my recommendation is you pick all the herbs you can find and then sell the biggest sets. You shouldn’t have any problems if you do that.

Enjoy the long awaited continuation of the saga.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t think those tips are spoiling the sanctity of a first play through, it’s not like I’m telling him to invest in a bunch of zippo lighters at the start of Shenmue 2 before the backpack gets stolen so he can pawn them off lol

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

leave these kinds of posts back in Games, where they belong.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Happy five year anniversary to me and a bunch of other people absolutely going apeshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsS0fWIo9FY

man nurse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2020

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've only played the first day but Shenmue III seems amazing...bailu is so detailed and fun to just soak in and i've barely seen anything. i spent a while just looking at the abandoned phonebooth in the town center.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this, a thousand times this

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/ShenmueAnime/status/1302033709336465409?s=20

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I hope Corey Marshall still plays Ryo for the dub

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is he voicing Ryo in 3?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

Is he voicing Ryo in 3?

Yeah he reprised the role and is as pitch perfect deadpan as the original games

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

man nurse posted:

Lmfao hell yes. Need to finish 2 soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

it was a little weird at first since you can tell that decades have passed in his voice but Ryo looks identical. But I'm already used to it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Also lmfao

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

man nurse posted:

are the voices like super blown out and bad quality too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Also lmfao

lmao

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In Training posted:

it was a little weird at first since you can tell that decades have passed in his voice but Ryo looks identical. But I'm already used to it

I didn’t think there was a very big difference. He already sounded a little deeper by the time Shenmue 2 came out. He does a great job sliding back into the role.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

mycophobia posted:

are the voices like super blown out and bad quality too

No they don’t have the blown out compressed quality but the dialogue is still very stilted and awkward. The entire tone of the dub is like exactly the same as the first two games and it rules.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 is so so good. Feel like I've barely done any actual "story" but having a blast hanging out in bailu doing nothing. completely different vibes than Hong Kong or Yokosuka, although it does make things like the fully functioning arcade in the middle of a Chinese farming community kinda odd. But whatever I need those whack a mole tickets for ...who knows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

spending most days trying to figure out how to win the drat fishing tournament.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I extremely enjoyed Shenmue 3 because it completely captures what I loved about the series. It feels like almost no time passed and all that changed was the graphics. The new fighting kinda puts a damper on things but not enough to take away from everything else.

Please continue with the trip reports

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

idk if it's just bc I never cared much in 1 or 2, but the rng on finishing gacha sets seems insanely hosed up. I've got 100+ duplicates across multiple sets and they're all missing one prize and it's maddening. Ryo has completely abandoned his search for shenhua's father and spends all day chopping wood and gambling trying to chase the capsule dragon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:cool:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Looking good brother

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lan Di is gonna poo poo his pants

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

whoa...there's more than just bailu...thank you yu Suzuki

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

See how many Chobu-chans you can find hidden in the shops

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Been playing 3 after waiting for so long, and it's been a blast. I gotta say that so far, the combat isn't as bad as I was expecting based on what I'd heard... but then again I haven't yet reached any fights where you have to defeat multiple people, so I guess we'll see. I miss doing sick Virtua Fighter-style inputs but after I learned that all the cool older moves are accessed by holding L2 before you do an input, it started to click with me more. But it still sucks that throws were removed!!! That's gotta be fixed if they make Shenmue 4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the phone call presentation is soooooo cool...been ending every night checking in with my old pals and chillin with shenhua on the porch. i cant believe this game keeps getting better. inever want it to end.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/HalfHazardSA1/status/1320178324937768961?s=20

:coolfish:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol awesome work

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Catch a big one! Earn more Yuan! Show me the money!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Those moves...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

He looked like an elephant