Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3DFwAuAOoo

started playing Shenmue on my personal computer recently and its better than i ever expected. i have no clue how far in i am but the skinhead jumping Ryo in the arcade to eat his ticket to hong kong was one of the coolest video game cutscenes ive ever seen. ive also been continually being blown away by the detail they put into every single room in the game. every morning I grab a can of coffee from a vending machine and get to work. today I start my job at the harbor assuming Goro actually came through for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

does ANYBody know what theyre saying in the Bob's Pizzeria theme. its driving me insane.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the dreams are wicked sick and remind me of Pathologic lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jBJfvdzxXU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Me finding another bizarre detail on Shenmue or interaction like waiting for the bus

I missed the bus once bc I was looking at my phone waiting for it to show up and realized gaming peaked 21 years ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured since Goro was gonna get me a job in the harbor he also worked there but while I'm driving around busting my back 9-5 I just see him walking circles between Tom's hot dog stand and Hisaka's lunch counter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Found a guard standing 8 feet from some Mad Angels graffiti on a conspicuous door who said he's never heard of the Mad Angels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

the weather isnt real (i think its randomized?) but once you beat the game you can turn on historical weather patterns

Insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't really understand how the hell im supposed to be finding the mad angels in the harbor. Everybody says the same thing every day and there's no end in sight to these crates

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

You’ve five days of work to do and just go around chatting in the evenings and lunch breaks

nice, I think shits about to pop off. Caught the angels roughing up mark and I know where they gather at nights now. It's cool how this feels like a completely different game once you get a job bc you lose contact with all your friends and the days start bleeding together and all you do is work sleep and eat. Work sucks!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok thank you for the advice all. It turns out that I played the Route 2 day 3 times over bc I was hitting the quota and then playing Mario maker until the shift ended. I wasn't triggering the cutscene bc it happened at like 330 in the warehouse. I got punished by the game for being lazy on the job lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

wtf who doesnt maximize the number of crates they deliver. you get a raise!!!!

i would do the quota + 1 for the raise and then just idle. I have a lot of money but i cant spend it on anything except darts because i spend all day working. the ultiamte irony of life.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ryo and nozomi on the bike was amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Taking a different position in the forklift race each day to get all the forklift gacha

Yup lol. For 5th place I raced for first and then parked in front of Mark at the finish line

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Had an extremely eventful first day in Hong Kong.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

I really like how 1 had this cozy hometown feel to it where you know everyone and you’re kind of a badass and then 2 makes you feel like a fish out of water in the big city and you start to feel out of your depth.

Yeah everyone you meet is a scumbag trying to rip you off and I have no money and I had to pawn my virtua fighter toys to pay for one nights rent at a hotel. It's such a sick atmosphere so far and a cool tonal change

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao at crate lifting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gotten into the habit of playing 1 day of shenmue 2 every morning, the days feel much longer than 1 bc Hong Kong is huge and dense and theres a lot more story happening every day. Love all the mind clearing taoist QTEs in this one where you have carry books back and forth and punch trees for IRL hours over the course of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I accidentally hit the Pay Out button on the slot machines when I had 79 credits in it so I had I pick up every coin from the lower slot and put it back in the machine to keep playing by hitting square 79 times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the FOrtune Pier gambling dens are lit like the majora's mask Curiosity Shop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love running lucky hit tables I want to play a whole game where you manage underground gambling dens

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives, Ryo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I swear I looked for joy before I left Hong Kong she was pissed at me in kowloon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got really bummed when I didn't get to listen to all the surveillance tapes looking for clues even though that would have been insane even by shenmue standards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

incredible energy from this guy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the more I play of kowloon the less I like it...this stuff kind of sucks. like the whole reason I came to Kowloon in the first place with Ren is because he's Dou Niu and the Yellow Heads sworn rival, and the two of us have hosed with Dou Niu and his girlfriend like 3 or 4 times so far, but now they don't care and I've been recruited because I won a bunch of street fights???

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

you're looking for yhuanda zu

the real reason I was frustrated when i posted that is I couldn't believe they wanted me to make another $500 in kowloon, the entire time I was there I had $4 bc i couldnt find a job, I thought you HAD to gamble to make money, I didn't find the job site until literally Dawn of the Final Day when it didnt matter and I already spent an incredibly tense hour or two gambling on big or small to try and make 500.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao spoiling since i know emmyOK is playing shenmue II for the first time too the yellowhead building assault had a lot of incredible moments ramping up to what i assumed would be a showdown with dou niu, loved all the chainsaw battles, kicking out mineshaft support beams in a residential building, the Ultimate "walking across a wooden plank" QTE etc. but the reveal of B5 containing a Amano looking ghost warrior cage battling people to death that you then had to go toe to toe with for 3 rounds was insanely badass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This final act stuff (I have to assume it's the final act) is really incredible, Hong Kong and Kowloon felt closer to Yakuza games in their pace and structure, I was worried Ryo had left the pastoral life behind, and then Suzuki hits you with the 4 hour walk and talk I love this. Shenhua and Ryo's conversation in the cave is some next level drama.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What an ending

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've only played the first day but Shenmue III seems amazing...bailu is so detailed and fun to just soak in and i've barely seen anything. i spent a while just looking at the abandoned phonebooth in the town center.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

Yeah he reprised the role and is as pitch perfect deadpan as the original games

it was a little weird at first since you can tell that decades have passed in his voice but Ryo looks identical. But I'm already used to it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 is so so good. Feel like I've barely done any actual "story" but having a blast hanging out in bailu doing nothing. completely different vibes than Hong Kong or Yokosuka, although it does make things like the fully functioning arcade in the middle of a Chinese farming community kinda odd. But whatever I need those whack a mole tickets for ...who knows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

spending most days trying to figure out how to win the drat fishing tournament.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

idk if it's just bc I never cared much in 1 or 2, but the rng on finishing gacha sets seems insanely hosed up. I've got 100+ duplicates across multiple sets and they're all missing one prize and it's maddening. Ryo has completely abandoned his search for shenhua's father and spends all day chopping wood and gambling trying to chase the capsule dragon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:cool:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

whoa...there's more than just bailu...thank you yu Suzuki

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the phone call presentation is soooooo cool...been ending every night checking in with my old pals and chillin with shenhua on the porch. i cant believe this game keeps getting better. inever want it to end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol awesome work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Those moves...