Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Okay, get this:

-inbetween your 'consciousness' (dont even get be started breh) and the universe are your senses. Like a brain-in-a-jar scenario, only the jar is your skull

-if your senses change, your universe changes. A change in your subjective universe and the universe are exactly the same to you

-you can change your senses through drugs, meditation, brainwave biofeedback, and so on

-you can also change another person's subjective universe

-if you changed everyone's subjective universe in the same way, that would be indistinguishable from changing the universe

This is a thread for discusing memes in a technical fashion, talking about hypnosis, drawing parallels between ancient religious ceremonies and modern pop culture, analysis of modern pop culture to identify techniques for culture guidance and thought control, and maybe performing rituals

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:firstpost:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
you don't need drugs and poo poo to experience senses that aren't physically there. like literally just use your imagination. like i can just imagine im seeing an apple, or smelling smoke, or something

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Nooner posted:

yeah, real gay

Even more proof

Right before I clicked on this thread, I knew this would be the reply

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

SHISHKABOB posted:

you don't need drugs and poo poo to experience senses that aren't physically there. like literally just use your imagination. like i can just imagine im seeing an apple, or smelling smoke, or something

What if I could make you imagine you were smelling smoke?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swj7SDbop_M

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Look up high level CIA magician Michael Aquino

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

This I wasn't expecting

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

magic the gathering is real

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Wizardry, voodoo, rabbits in hats, yes

The stuff in the op, no

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inverted Icon posted:

What if I could make you imagine you were smelling smoke?

what if i could make you imagine you were a good poster

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was some english guys in the 80s that learned real magic and used it to make lots of good tunes and videos. they were called the KLF

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

please make yourself disappear

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Earwicker posted:

there was some english guys in the 80s that learned real magic and used it to make lots of good tunes and videos. they were called the KLF

Want to know someone else who learned magic? That's right. Jesus Christ.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
here are some helpful tips from my book of magic:

If you wish a child to become a hundred years old, you must get it godfathers out of three different parishes

a wife who has a cold must sneeze into her husbands shoe

three grains of salt in a measure of milk preserves it from witchcraft

he who carries a wolfs heart with him will not be devoured by the wolf

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Earwicker posted:

Back to the heavyweight

Back to the heavyweight

Back to the heavyweight jam

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I believe that is called barometric pressure.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

my good buddy has a brother that talks like this constantly and it's insufferable.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
threadcube theory makes sense if you really think about it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Inverted Icon posted:

Okay, get this:

-inbetween your 'consciousness' (dont even get be started breh) and the universe are your senses. Like a brain-in-a-jar scenario, only the jar is your skull

-if your senses change, your universe changes. A change in your subjective universe and the universe are exactly the same to you

-you can change your senses through drugs, meditation, brainwave biofeedback, and so on

-if you changed everyone's subjective universe in the same way, that would be indistinguishable from changing the universe

This is a thread for discusing memes in a technical fashion, talking about hypnosis, drawing parallels between ancient religious ceremonies and modern pop culture, analysis of modern pop culture to identify techniques for culture guidance and thought control, and maybe performing rituals

This is almost verbatim how Alan Moore defines magic, and he's a certified warlock.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Inverted Icon posted:

Okay, get this:

What you're making is entailed in what some phenomenologists call the constructivist account; namely that "reality" is solely a construct of our perceptions. It fails pretty quickly under scrutiny, though, for example because it must hold that all hallucinations are veridical, or have some ontological substance beyond the subjective, which becomes problematic when (say) two guys who are tripping see the same carpet doing different things.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Who What Now posted:

This is almost verbatim how Alan Moore defines magic, and he's a certified warlock.
warlocks are the male stewardesses of magic casters

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I heard somewhere that some people literally can't do this, which is pretty wild if you ask me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gary oldmans diary posted:

warlocks are the male stewardesses of magic casters

Don't speak to me or my Eldritch patron ever again

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.amazon.com/Llewellyns-Complete-Book-Ceremonial-Magick/dp/073876082X#reader_073876082X

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh oh oh it's magic!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Modern magic was a cover created by Aliester Crawley so he could have gay sex, because back in Victorian times it was illegal to have gay sex but was legal to have a secret men's only demon worshipping club.

Ancient magic was proto psychology.

Fictional magic is just the nerds dream of their interests granting them mastery of reality.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Abra
Abra
Cadabra

GONNA REACH OUT AND GRAB YA

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Badactura posted:

Modern magic was a cover created by Aliester Crawley so he could have gay sex, because back in Victorian times it was illegal to have gay sex but was legal to have a secret men's only demon worshipping club.

well its more complicated than that. there were already plenty of secret mens' only demon worshipping clubs where you could go have gay sex before crowley came around. he had to invent things like the golden dawn and the jet propulsion laboratory because those guys didnt like him due to his terrible personal hygiene

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cool so tell us why everyone is too stupid to make their own reality and why only some special people can be the only ones not to gently caress everything up. And tell me why having a sense of self confidence and knowledge of magical things is dangerous for the average person. I’ve heard all this poo poo before. Everyone got their own way and it’s no less magical or special than any other way.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
My mind is so fuckin' freaked right now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i, too remember being a freshman in college

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Cool so tell us why everyone is too stupid to make their own reality and why only some special people can be the only ones not to gently caress everything up. And tell me why having a sense of self confidence and knowledge of magical things is dangerous for the average person. I’ve heard all this poo poo before. Everyone got their own way and it’s no less magical or special than any other way.

That's the secret to magic

It's different for everyone

Magic is just using your will to change your reality

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

It's hard for individuals to make their own reality. If you're in the literal 'mainstream' of a river system, it is hard to swim against it. CIA magician Michael Aquino has this division between black magic (internal to your own mind) and white magic (manipulation of tools that society leaves 'lying around' that touch many people)

The idea that everyone does their own thing that is no more or less magical yh6an anybody elses is a powerful one. Some say that everyone has their own 'True Will' , and that the only true moral code is that you should be true to it.

People do magic all the time, they just don't contextualize it as such

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Anyone can do it, all you have to do is take a level in a spellcasting class at your next level up.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Oh poo poo breh, I'm casting!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I feel mystical forces coalesce itt... Yes, yesss! It is magic, gathering.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yeah, magic is real.

Real STUPID!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

one of the dumbest myths people believe about magic is that if you are good at casting spells you must automatically be bad at swinging swords, and vice versa. its so high school. do we really need to perpetuate nerd/jock stereotypes in our professional lives?