Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Aww yeah, dogchat. This is Charlie, he's a mini Australian shepherd. He fears no man or beast. He's wearing a cone because he got either stung or bit right on the rear end and he won't stop chewing on it. Charlie should probably fear some beasts.

CBJamo fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

CBJamo posted:

Aww yeah, dogchat. This is Charlie, he's a mini Australian shepherd. He fears no man or beast. He's wearing a cone because he got either stung or bit right on the rear end and he won't stop chewing on it. Charlie should probably fear some beasts.

Poor little fella. When I was a kid we had a Nova Scotian Duck Toller-- think a golden retriever, but smaller and red. She had to wear a cone after a surgery and spent two weeks wandering around looking like a lampshade that pooped. It was funny watching her eat; the cone would descend over the food bowl, much gobbling would ensue and the cone would lift with all food vanished as if by magic.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You assholes are making me want to get another dog, even though I can't do that right now

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I had a beagle from age 6 to 22. The vet said, "he's how old?!" at the end. He was my best bud and the goodest boy. He also liked to steal my sisters toys to fire her up, haha.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Captain Log posted:

I'm asking this here because I don't want to engage anyone on anything in social media. I'm also very much opposed to people storming capitol building while armed to protest trying to not die in a pandemic.

My Facebook is covered in memes with the armed Michigan protests, but with dildos photoshopped in place of the ARs. The main one was linked from a place called, "Feminist News."

Isn't making jokes about guys compensating for something with big dildos participating in some sort of shaming or toxic masculinity?

I repeat, I am asking you folk because I think you will shoot me straight and I won't lose anymore family or friends because of an advertising website.

Yes, youíre correct that these insults work as a feature of patriarchal culture. As such, it is not principled feminist conduct to make such jokes, as it upholds that culture in part.

Obviously that talk is less egregious when it is aimed at reactionary men by women, and it can be hard to insult people or even just talk evocatively without being sexist or ableist in our culture to some degree, but itís still a bad look (and also not funny so whatís there even to gain.)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

This was my last dog, Lance. I got him from a local rescue group and he was an incredibly sweet older doggie that just wanted to hang near his people. Unfortunately about 10 months after I got him his heart failed in the middle of the night. It's been about 4-5 years and I still miss the sweet bugger.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Wanna be financially stable enough that I can just go into dog shelters and adopt old dogs. Multiple dogs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Is the report forum at least divided up by what subforum the report came from, or is it just a garden hose spray of crazy poo poo?

Yeah itís just a giant feed but the reports are auto-tagged with thread tags specific to the forum (so, d&d, TFR, etc) and your can filter by tag to just see the places youíre responsible for.

You can filter by tag in all forums, but given how goons work itís the only forum here where the tags actually mean something other than ďlol I think the penis tag is funny to put next to a title about a new car,Ē.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

the reports are auto-tagged with thread tags specific to the forum (so, d&d, TFR, etc)

Oh, that's simple and should have been obvious to me.

I always forget about thread tags because I think I've made five threads in the 18 years I've been here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah itís kind of hilarious how they are used for their intended purpose on the mod side* and as another level of meta joke everywhere else. Goons gonna goon

*except in the mod forums. Thatís wall to wall using oh shi... and sex and the wobbly dick for comedic effect.

Because mods are goons too. Itís goony weirdos all the way down.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Dip Viscous posted:

Oh, that's simple and should have been obvious to me.

I always forget about thread tags because I think I've made five threads in the 18 years I've been here.

I made the monthly UFC threads for a span of about 19 months until the shitposters there made me stop caring, and you get used to PM'ing the mod of your particular forum to ask if they can change the thread tag to what it should be instead of poo poo POST

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for doing what you do Fearless, and thank you for sharing your straight up hero colleagues.

Someone already mentioned but yeah many animals have the capacity to be receptive to human emotions, I think horses are another example. However dogs definitely are the best at it, as they've had a looong time living close to humans to adapt. They've also be especially bred to be human companions, so they tend to be pretty dang good at it.

I found a small photo of Buddy:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wanna pet that dog.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes, youíre correct that these insults work as a feature of patriarchal culture. As such, it is not principled feminist conduct to make such jokes, as it upholds that culture in part.

Obviously that talk is less egregious when it is aimed at reactionary men by women, and it can be hard to insult people or even just talk evocatively without being sexist or ableist in our culture to some degree, but itís still a bad look (and also not funny so whatís there even to gain.)

Thank you. I donít want to publicly look like Iím defending those assholes on Facebook, or anywhere. But it still rubbed me weird.

Memento posted:

I made the monthly UFC threads for a span of about 19 months until the shitposters there made me stop caring, and you get used to PM'ing the mod of your particular forum to ask if they can change the thread tag to what it should be instead of poo poo POST

Edit - Bird like dog. Bird pet dog.

https://twitter.com/backt0nature/st...587748628193280

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 2, 2020

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Trust Log to find a bird video for the dog thread.

Oh one weird thing about Buddy: His farts were deadly because my dad kept feeding him eggs. They were Buddy's favourite treat, even though none of us in the rest of the family were particularly egg-people, so we kept some around for Buddy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My 44 specials just arrived from Lucky Gunner. Those guys are quick! And, they actually had this apparently oddball ammo.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I'm not paying $30 for 50 rounds again. Loading for this caliber is going to pay for itself pretty quickly, I imagine.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tarlibone posted:

My 44 specials just arrived from Lucky Gunner. Those guys are quick! And, they actually had this apparently oddball ammo.

I'll tell you one thing, though: I'm not paying $30 for 50 rounds again. Loading for this caliber is going to pay for itself pretty quickly, I imagine.

I have a .45 Colt Henry and a box of that will run you something like $60 or more up here. Reloading cost for me is similar to .45 Auto, so I can reload them for about $8-12 a box. It's a huge savings!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

Trust Log to find a bird video for the dog thread.

I stole that from the parrot thread.

I've never seen a parrot do anything like that before. It's "velociraptor opening a door handle" levels of intelligence.

I have seen birds use their wings to hug. But never pet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

made me lol

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Really amazed my old German short-haired pointer never managed to kill herself. Dear, sweet dog with the patience of a saint. Absolutely loving. Always even-tempered. Never angry. Had a little docked tail that would just go crazy. Never the first to bark. Loved to play. Beautiful coat.

Dumb as gently caress.

Actually, I can't say she was dumb-- because she was raised by relatives that didn't have much experience with dogs, and I, at that point in my life, didn't really have enough dog knowledge, either. She'd gone to obedience school multiple times, but getting a dog to obey commands is more complicated than 'pay trainer money, dog work'.

They're complicated creatures. Some dogs can be programmed like a four-legged VCR. Some know exactly what you want and still think you should go gently caress yourself, I'm a primitive breed, you're not my real dad gently caress you

But I digress.

She loved to snap at bees. Wasps. Hornets. Yellow jackets. And she'd eat them. She'd eat them with a smile on her face and a wag in her stubby little tail.

And she'd everything else. Anything.

After she had her first and only litter of pups, something in her brain kinda... broke. Her food drive just never shut off. You know how dogs are notorious for going after food? Like that, but, ramped up to Family Movie About Dogs level of food destruction. She ate five steaks off a counter left unattended, once. She ate two giant Easter rabbits and the candy with them, foil, fake grass and all. She ate scented soaps.

Everything.

And I didn't believe the stories I'd heard, until I got her. I remember throwing a muffin wrapper at a trash can, and I missed, because I'm as coordinated as my avatar looks. No big deal. I'll just walk over and-- oh the dog has eaten the entire wrapper whole. Huh. See, that was weird, but not entirely undogish.

I knew she was truly broken and that everything I heard was true when I saw her do the same thing to a loving banana peel.

She was a great dog.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone got some dry fire pistol exercises to do at home? Got the trigger time itch, but only one range is open and with very limited hours/space.

Theres a shitload of videos for this of course but I was hoping someone more experienced could curate for me.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

tarlibone posted:

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

Anyone got some dry fire pistol exercises to do at home? Got the trigger time itch, but only one range is open and with very limited hours/space.

Theres a shitload of videos for this of course but I was hoping someone more experienced could curate for me.

What's your focus? Are you trying to improve accuracy? Manipulation speed? Defensive stuff? Movement?
Do you know what you're current metrics are? Splits, draws to high/low percentage targets, reloads, that kinda of thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

priznat posted:

made me lol

My dog loves sky raisins

Seamus is an 8 year old Cavador, which is a cross between a Labrador and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We met a dog from the breeder that we went to named Keith. Keith was a short, ~25 pound glossy haired sweetheart. That's what we thought we were getting. What we actually got was an 80% size fat Labrador with the goofiest ears on the planet. He weighs about 60 pounds. He's literally just a Labrador, with the same hair and the same insane food drive. He's smart too - when I take him and my mother in law's Whippet to the park, if I throw the ball for them Seamus doesn't bother running, because he knows he's not going to get it. Whippets are stupid fast.

My girls were playing with a laundry basket and some blankets and pillows, making a fort in the loungeroom. They stopped playing for whatever reason, and Seamus decided he would find himself a nice place for a nap.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

MantisClaw posted:

What's your focus? Are you trying to improve accuracy? Manipulation speed? Defensive stuff? Movement?
Do you know what you're current metrics are? Splits, draws to high/low percentage targets, reloads, that kinda of thing.

You said alot of big words there... but mostly just want to work on accuracy and manipulation speed. Think I need to work on my trigger pull I keep pulling left or right last time I went shooting.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

By the way, I might as well point something out for those that might not venture far from TFR: There is a fantastic dog thread in the forums, it's just in GiP for some reason. Like it fits there, but it's not really where you'd expect it. It's great for people like me, who can't realistically have a dog currently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3553037

If you have dogs to contribute to the dog thread, it's always appreciated. But also post your dogs here in the May TFR dog thread TIA.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

You said alot of big words there... but mostly just want to work on accuracy and manipulation speed. Think I need to work on my trigger pull I keep pulling left or right last time I went shooting.

Ok, you're dealing with horizontal stringing. As you suspect, that's typically a trigger control issue. What concerns me is that it's inconsistent (going left and right vs all one way). That could simply mean you aren't pulling the trigger the same way each time or it could mean that there's something else going on. Could be a grip issue, could be a timing issue when driving the gun but it's hard to give an accurate diagnosis without seeing what's going on.

If you want to only work trigger control, you can try a Line Drill.
Take a piece of paper and draw a vertical line on it with a marker. Continue your dryfire using that line as your target. The line, as opposed to a traditional bullseye or silhouette, will make it easier to see if your sights are being pulled off target. By using a smaller target area this will force you to pay more attention to your fundamentals as well. That whole 'Aim small, miss small' concept.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks I'll try that!

I think it's me being inconsistent with my finger placement on the trigger or me compensating one direction or the other when I see which way I'm veering off towards.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

They're multiplying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I may have found the world's ugliest pistol grips on Ebay.

For those of you who want target grip accuracy - with the class of a malformed, bulging, no beak hellduck for style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Mark...mCondition=3000

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Action-Bastard posted:

Pick a song and firing along to the percussion.

Coxswain Balls posted:

They're multiplying.

I like your taste especially in the brakal region.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

I picked up the Savage as an impulse purchase on Friday and my buddy similarly impulse bought the Ruger yesterday as our way of coping with the new gun bans by way of retail therapy. We can't use big chunks of our centerfire guns any more, so I guess that means we gotta get new guns that are just as awesome as our way of going eff you to the idiot legislators. We're hoping it becomes a thing so more of our friends get the seed planted and pick up kickass guns that would be harder and harder to mess with via future legislation.

I'm also on lots of diazepam right now after being discharged from the hospital due to a bout of paralysis so maybe my decision making skills aren't the best right now. I've had one night of sleep though and no regrets so far!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Captain Log posted:

I may have found the world's ugliest pistol grips on Ebay.

For those of you who want target grip accuracy - with the class of a malformed, bulging, no beak hellduck for style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Mark...mCondition=3000

When using a gun equipped with these grips your phone plays the "rubber ducky" song from Sesame Street.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Buried Hatchet Stout from Southern Star Brewing is some darn good stuff, in case anyone was wondering.

Coxswain Balls posted:

They're multiplying.
Those are both awesome and they make me realize that I do not recall ever having actually fired a bolt action firearm in my entire life.

There was a bolt action .22 in the house growing up-- I think I may actually still have it-- but it was in the Non-Firing Antiques corner of my parents' closet because it had a busted firing pin and spring, and I've finger gently caressed some 1903s and SMLEs at Cabela's, but I just cannot remember ever actually firing one.

quote:

I'm also on lots of diazepam right now after being discharged from the hospital due to a bout of paralysis so maybe my decision making skills aren't the best right now. I've had one night of sleep though and no regrets so far!
Now you're primed to cancel a bunch of bids on stuff Captain Log is selling!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Thanks to the Jericho for the first time in like 8 years I have a 45acp gun again. And here I thought I was done buying that caliber.

Now to find some sweet grips to replace the meh factory hard plastic ones. Unfortunately the more common 9mm/40s&w grips don't fit.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Oh lord, just about had a stroke a minute ago. Field stripped the Jericho, looked down the barrel to see if it was oiled, and didn't see any rifling. Turns out it's polygonal rifled, very subtly too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Music chat:

Clarice Jensen's The experience of repetition as death is really solid as background quasi-horror droning instrumental music. She is a cellist/composer. I could see it pairing very well with a game like The Long Dark or a gloomy RPG session. It was inspired in part by her mother's battle with Leukemia and also Mt. Everest.

Boo facebook links, but if that's her preferred promo medium, so be it:
https://www.facebook.com/claricejen...35103083733086/

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Some triggered, fragile boy in TFR keeps buying Numlock avatars, because Numlock said Nazis are bad.

Spending money to delete anti-Nazi avatars to trigger the libs.

Get well, Lowtax.

Iíve had a bad week re:pets.

My cat started acting lethargic and wasnít eating so he went to the vet this Saturday. Heís got a bacterial infection but the blood and urine work shows his kidneys are failing and heís losing weight

So now itís a matter of when it happens, sooner rather later according to the vet. So we are in saying good bye mode with him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Numlock posted:

My cat started acting lethargic and wasnít eating so he went to the vet this Saturday. Heís got a bacterial infection but the blood and urine work shows his kidneys are failing and heís losing weight

So now itís a matter of when it happens, sooner rather later according to the vet. So we are in saying good bye mode with him.

That sucks man, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Numlock posted:

Went through this a couple years ago with our favoritest cat ever, Patches, a wonderful calico who'd been with us since before our son was born. She grew up with him and he was her human. Thankfully, he wasn't the kind of autistic who would go all Of-Mice-And-Men on animals. I still remember hearing him wail from inside the house while I was outside, digging her grave. It was January or February in Illinois, so I was digging into frozen, clay-rich dirt. Fun.

I say this because I don't want you to do through what I went through: we waited way too long to have Patches put down. I will spare you the details of Patches' last day, but suffice it to say, it was horrible.

«33 »