Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

If you want to just disable the alarm sound, #10 is the siren, looks like it should be pretty accessible

This thing has plenty of false alarm opportunities, glass break sensors, ultrasonic sensors, level sensors

However, I'm not seeing anything specific about the alarm system in the symptom based diagnosis or repair sections. The immobilizer/key rfid interface is still working fine, right? The removal/replacement section has some information on replacing the immobilizer, including replacing the ignition switch antenna ring so let me know if you want that.

Yeah, the guy I talked to at the actual Volvo dealership rattled off a whole host of things that could be happening. I'm going to go in with this knowledge and make a call from there. I want to get this thing doctored up before I start trusting it, because if I break down on the side of the road (or shot by an old neighbor) I ain't walking nowhere.

Part of me wants to go out there with my car toolkit, but I promise you I'd make it worse. I've purposely NEVER hosed with anything electronic.

Just please, please, please don't let the dealership say I need a new car computer from twenty years ago.

Of course, when I turned it off and on at the place I bought it the alarm didn't do dick. It's like electronics some know when it's he most inconvenient to act up.

Nipponophile posted:

I just love the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I make configuration changes that I'm not completely confident about that might completely wreck network connectivity on one of the single most important computers in the state while none of my coworkers are in the office to help if anything goes wrong.

I'm gonna start scrounging people's desks. Somebody's bound to have some booze somewhere around here.

Day drinking at a job normally isn't the best way to troubleshoot, but I'd be lying to say I never did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

It could be expecting you to unlock with the key fob (in particular if you're locking it when you get out and are unlocking the doors with the key). We had some Crown Vics and current Tahoes do that.

You may be able to purchase a key fob and teach the car it without needing a mechanic scan-tool. Usually a particular ritual of turning the key on and off. Edit: Nope, looks like Volvo remotes need to come with a code that has to be dealer programmed into the car.

darnon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 22, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

darnon posted:

Nope, looks like Volvo remotes need to come with a code that has to be dealer programmed into the car.

Yeah, that's exactly what the car shop told me. Having to take something to the dealer is the ultimate frustrating thing with cars, but par for the course.

I'm expecting to pay $299 or something asinine for a key fob. But I'll be damned if a screeching alarm is going to be part of my driving process.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I drove a 90's Pathfinder for a while not being able to disable the factory alarm. If you unlocked the doors, you had about 20 seconds to get the key in the ignition and at least in accessory mode or else it would flash lights and honk over and over.
Getting accustomed to that led to some weird habits with later cars. Made me want to hurry up and get the car started soon after unlocking it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cheapest way would be buying a used fob off ebay, then programming it into the car with VIDA software and a DICE (hardware dongle) clone off ebay. The dongle is like $50-100.

otoh, a new fob is > $100 iirc, so a couple hundred wouldn't seem crazy high. I know you want to have things ship shape before you gently caress things up

p.s. I would not feel any worry about just disconnecting the siren cable until you can have it looked at professionally

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

Cheapest way would be buying a used fob off ebay, then programming it into the car with VIDA software and a DICE (hardware dongle) clone off ebay. The dongle is like $50-100.

otoh, a new fob is > $100 iirc, so a couple hundred wouldn't seem crazy high. I know you want to have things ship shape before you gently caress things up

p.s. I would not feel any worry about just disconnecting the siren cable until you can have it looked at professionally

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

My man, you're a goon.

I don't think your social credit can be any lower.

taiwan #1

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yo

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

but are you a ghost?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone is a ghost. We're just ghosts operating meat robots.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Miso Beno posted:

but are you a ghost?

White as the driven snow, I am, guilao.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

God I got so much lazy trolling miliage out of that playing World of Tanks.

That and "Rommel was a Nazi" and "The T34 was better than the Tiger."

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hopefully we can both agree that One Punch Man is the future of anime.

One Punch Man is loving fabulous. It lampoons all the stuff I grumped about. I adore that show.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nipponophile posted:

I just love the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I make configuration changes that I'm not completely confident about that might completely wreck network connectivity on one of the single most important computers in the state while none of my coworkers are in the office to help if anything goes wrong.

I'm gonna start scrounging people's desks. Somebody's bound to have some booze somewhere around here.

My department's specialty, is emailing me the day after I head into the office and don't intend on returning for a couple weeks, with little on-site requests I could've handled the day before.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Did somebody go into Ghost Mode?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

https://twitter.com/ride_trips/stat...4089717763?s=20

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

shhhh dont say that too loud or we'll get murdered

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

"Taiwan isn't China"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Quoth the raven, "Faith no more."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

Quoth the raven, "Faith no more."

... I sensed someone on the Internets mentioning my favorite band.

What's going on?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Let's say there is some sort of puzzle to solve.

If I had to bet on a random person snatched off the street or a corvid, I'd honestly probably bet the corvid.

I also may be going through sports betting withdrawal. My poor father sure as gently caress is. I wonder if there are any sports from around the world I could bet twos of dollars upon?

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

That game... Falklands trolling and "7-1" would work for a more target player.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Let's say there is some sort of puzzle to solve.

If I had to bet on a random person snatched off the street or a corvid, I'd honestly probably bet the corvid.

I also may be going through sports betting withdrawal. My poor father sure as gently caress is. I wonder if there are any sports from around the world I could bet twos of dollars upon?

Try and snatch a random corvid off the street, I dare you.

Lest people make too much fun of that sign, Seventh Day is overwhelmingly African-American. The typo ain't that funny when you consider how vulnerable the people involved are. They're forgoing a very important thing to them for the sake of the sick and the old (and sick), and everyone else as well.

Uh-hem. Saltybet is still around.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Try and snatch a random corvid off the street, I dare you.

Lest people make too much fun of that sign, Seventh Day is overwhelmingly African-American. The typo ain't that funny when you consider how vulnerable the people involved are. They're forgoing a very important thing to them for the sake of the sick and the old (and sick), and everyone else as well.

Uh-hem. Saltybet is still around.

Seventh Day Adventist is African American?

Edit : I'll be damned, I googled it and it sure seems to be correct. In Lawrenceburg, TN it sure is whiter than white.

Next time I talk to that side of the family I'll have to make sure I have my denominations right.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, I think they are racially diverse. Here in Oregon they are whiter than my thighs when I wear short shorts for the first sunny day of spring.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

L
Next time I talk to that side of the family I'll have to make sure I have my denominations right.

If you get the right denomination you can make a change.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

*in the South. In Alabama. In Normal, Alabama.

Anyone want something to howl to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

Awooooo.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Birb content:

https://twitter.com/naturelslit/sta...1310790657?s=21

loving flying dinosaur right there

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

You could probably work something out using marble races

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I heard Korean baseball is coming back, the teams even have US names!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

crazypeltast52 posted:

I heard Korean baseball is coming back, the teams even have US names!

Nothing's going to beat a Japanese baseball game for the SNES , with Japanese devs making up Western-sounding names.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

5er posted:

Nothing's going to beat a Japanese baseball game for the SNES , with Japanese devs making up Western-sounding names.

Tag yourself

I'm Dwigt Rortugal. The Man

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

That's the image that gets passed around the most, but the game itself has an entire league's worth of names like that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Tag yourself

I'm Dwigt Rortugal. The Man

Bobson Dugnutt cracks me up to this day.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Man of the Rising Sun

Captain Log posted:

A Taiwanese professional baseball league has been streaming live games with English commentary since they can have games because their country did a decent job of getting people to stay the gently caress at home for a while and letting the virus die off.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3922037

Apparently the weather is awful and their games are getting rained out this weekend, but there's something to keep an eye on.

5er posted:

Pretty sure I've seen that game before somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETGvVi7n4o

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 23, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

5er posted:

I'ma stop you right there. I've been through Battletech, nobody is capturing that lightning in another bottle. Second, I would resent anything that reminds me of the time I wasted in FFX-2, or, may have been a clear inspiration for the stupid tropes going on in that awful game.
No no, but wait, you don't want to know the history of the Battletech Unseen Mechs and how Harmony Gold, the same company that spliced together Robotech, is (mostly) the one who sued and caused the unseen issue? Look there's this 205 page fan book explaining the legal history!

But really Robotech doesn't hold up. It was great for the time if it was syndicated on your local broadcast network (or maybe re-runs) and you were a kid and HOLY poo poo LOOK THESE COOL ROBOTS. I won't hate on people that look back on it with misty eyed nostalgia but I remember borrowing the DVD box set from a friend like 15 years ago iirc and I was bored to tears.

I'm trying to remember... I think I only watched Robotech on early Toonami... pretty sure my first exposure to a giant stompy robot show (that I remember) was Exosquad in original syndication on one of the local TV Stations that wasn't ABC/NBC/CBS owned, but I could be misremembering.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 23, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

A Taiwanese professional baseball league has been streaming live games with English commentary since they can have games because their country did a decent job of getting people to stay the gently caress at home for a while and letting the virus die off.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3922037

Apparently the weather is awful and their games are getting rained out this weekend, but there's something to keep an eye on.

Pretty sure I've seen that game before somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETGvVi7n4o

Good to know. Thanks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

You could always get your old man into betting on eSports

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You could always get your old man into betting on eSports

I'm not sure I'd trust the guy who cannot turn on a computer to enjoy esports.

( )

Edit : My father isn't severely mentally disabled or anything, but I do think he has some sort of issue when it comes to electronics. He just gets overwhelmed instantly and it's been that way since I was little.

I got him to play Outer Worlds all the way through. I just gotta find something like that and force him to turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

UFC is still going on, right? You could bet on that, although maybe your dad wouldn't be into it due to violence. I don't know him.

«33 »