Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

UFC is still going on, right? You could bet on that, although maybe your dad wouldn't be into it due to violence. I don't know him.

I'm the bigger MMA fan, but I grew up watching Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis with him. We watch the poo poo out of the fights when it's people we care about.

He actually made better bets than me the last card. I bet of four favorites to win, which is the opposite of how I normally roll. All four favorites lost. I'm normally the underdog bet guy in this house!

UFC is taking advantage of being the only sports show in town right now. They had three events in one week. When I first started watching, it was about six events a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

UFC is also trying to catch up with their contractual obligations to ESPN after not having events for a couple months.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

oooooooooooooh gently caress, it's in! Made in 1900.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You should buy a TSA Roast Mosin now is you don’t have one already. Complete the “noble fleeing from the revolution” play set.

Edit: lol that should be Tsarist but I’m leaving it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: lol that should be Tsarist but I’m leaving it.
Oh good, was really confused for a second.

I'll have to pick one up sometime. Were the US made ones done for the Czar or were they later?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

oooooooooooooh gently caress, it's in! Made in 1900.

Gold is playing around $1750. It hurts me, but I don't think I'm buying Gold while it's so high. If I was to do anything, it would be adding to my silver stockpile. I don't think it can get too much lower, outside of single week "Oh gently caress" events.

Palladium has been an absolute roller coaster, too. I sorta wish I unloaded my ounce when it was $2900. It's jumping around $1900 to $2000 as of yesterday.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Yeah this isn't a good time to be buying gold but at the same time I figure I'm not going to be selling this so why not. I've added some silver coins too but on the whole aside from finding anything numismatic that's neato I'm good on my silver hoard. I will be keeping an eye on local estates and such for coin collections though.

Palladium has been absolutely batshit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah this isn't a good time to be buying gold but at the same time I figure I'm not going to be selling this so why not. I've added some silver coins too but on the whole aside from finding anything numismatic that's neato I'm good on my silver hoard. I will be keeping an eye on local estates and such for coin collections though.

Palladium has been absolutely batshit.

Because of what my father likes, a lot of our precious metal coins have good numismatic value. But that makes selling at a decent price during a jump a lot more difficult. If I was the only collector in the house, it would almost all be bullion.

Speaking of neat, my latest Moroccan bill came in. This is why I check Ebay every night before bed. This got put up with a BIN at about a third of the price they normally sell for. The neat thing about these French era Moroccan bulls is the watermark is of a lion.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Parts Kit posted:

I'll have to pick one up sometime. Were the US made ones done for the Czar or were they later?

Technically it's a mix. The Remington and New England Westinghouse contracts were signed with Tsar Nicky's imperial government and continued by the provisional government, but that obviously fell apart after Red October. To keep Remington and NEW from going bankrupt, the US government stepped in to pick up the tab for the remaining production, which continued into 1918. Some undelivered US Mosins went overseas with Allied forces intervening in the Russian Civil War, but many were just issued to stateside National Guard and training units. E: and a bunch were passed on to the NRA and sold as surplus. There's photos of FDR (when he could still walk) posing with one.

Remington M91s are dated in the usual way. NEW M91s are all marked 1915 for some reason, but 'US surcharge' ones produced following the revolution should have US proof marks. As you'd expect, there are also Finnish marked US M91s.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 23, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Captain Log posted:

Because of what my father likes, a lot of our precious metal coins have good numismatic value. But that makes selling at a decent price during a jump a lot more difficult. If I was the only collector in the house, it would almost all be bullion.

Speaking of neat, my latest Moroccan bill came in. This is why I check Ebay every night before bed. This got put up with a BIN at about a third of the price they normally sell for. The neat thing about these French era Moroccan bulls is the watermark is of a lion.

Stop posting unsolicited dix pix

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Stop posting unsolicited dix pix

I got a lot of ‘em. “A bag of dix” if you will.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Log posted:

I got a lot of ‘em. “A bag of dix” if you will.

You could dump em out into a bowl of dix.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Reaching back to coin chat and sports chat:

The Townsends YouTube channel has been doing some videos on colonial era money. It's a bit stream-of-consciousness/Q&A style compared to most of their content, but it's interesting and makes for good background noise with sporadic peaks at the screen.

Also, while I was out picking up dinner, I saw that ESPN was showing (professional?) cornhole. I had no idea there was so much formality around it, as I've only ever seen it at tailgates and backyard parties.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OK, cards on the table, no holding back, and be honest:

who else giggles a little when you hear that game called "cornhole?"

Seriously, I feel like whoever came up with that name was just joking when his boss asked, "what should we call this?" But the boss didn't get the joke. Everyone else thought the boss was joking when he said that they* would be going with Cornhole officially, and they went along with it, because it was a funny joke. By the time they realized that the boss had no idea what definition most people already had for "cornhole," it was too late. They'd printed signs and everything.

* Big Cornhole

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

When I first got to college in Kentucky, signs were everywhere that said, “CORNHOLE THIS CAMPUS!!!” with a date and time.

I was very confused.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

OK, cards on the table, no holding back, and be honest:

who else giggles a little when you hear that game called "cornhole?"

Seriously, I feel like whoever came up with that name was just joking when his boss asked, "what should we call this?" But the boss didn't get the joke. Everyone else thought the boss was joking when he said that they* would be going with Cornhole officially, and they went along with it, because it was a funny joke. By the time they realized that the boss had no idea what definition most people already had for "cornhole," it was too late. They'd printed signs and everything.

* Big Cornhole

There's your corn and then there's your hole, cornhole. Yeah, 100% the name is for giggles.

Wait until you find out what chickendrop is.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

"Professional Cornholing" certainly evokes a very different image in my mind than extremely serious games of washer-toss.

E: Chicken Drop looks like a smaller scale and faster paced game of Cow poo poo Bingo.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Cornhole is funny, yes, but it's it's a fun enough folk game with its own culture. I like when people do up their cornholes with whatever thing they care about, be it sports logos or whatever.

I more so grew up on washoe though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fearless posted:

"Professional Cornholing" certainly evokes a very different image in my mind than extremely serious games of washer-toss.

E: Chicken Drop looks like a smaller scale and faster paced game of Cow poo poo Bingo.

Hell yes. More time to get drunk watching animals poop.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

madeintaipei posted:

Hell yes. More time to get drunk watching animals poop.

It's more of a thing you do at a BBQ on a farm. I mean sure you can stand there and watch cattle poo poo, or you go and do other things as people announce new shits until your arsehole cousin hollers BINGO and spends the rest of the afternoon lording it over the other kids because of cow shits in his favour.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

I like when people do up their cornholes with whatever thing they care about, be it sports logos or whatever.

As long as the thing she cares about involves hygiene and Kentucky jelly, I'm on board.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I'll say this -

As a dude who nearly killed himself with alcoholism for a six year chunk of my life, then had another extremely rough patch with health, I've got a lot of regrets. But most of them are directly tied to that period in my life.

When it comes to regrets just about life in general, I regret leaving Lexington, KY. The school I attended held a lot of weight in that state, so people wouldn't have been constantly saying, "You went to Transylvania University? Is that an online school?" But the place itself had a pretty cool culture. It had that blue dot in a Red Sea thing going for it, so within Lexington there was a pretty big diversity of a lot of different scenes going on.

I had a good buddy from high school that went there and we drove together on breaks. We would play a game where if I woke up after sleeping for a while, I had to call what state I was in (Kentucky or Tennessee) before any signage came up. I was normally right on the money with my guesses. The whole "Bluegrass" thing is a real phenomenon. It's just so loving green.

If you ever get a chance to visit Louisville or Lexington, I'd highly recommend it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

https://americancornhole.com/

The American Cornhole Organization has regional championships.
Their logo has a dude wearing a baseball cap backwards.
You can buy officially certified boards and bags.

I don't know why but this makes me just a little more optimistic about the future, somehow.

(Unrelated: I'm working on the hurricane season preparation text for the June chat thread.)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

poeticoddity posted:

https://americancornhole.com/

The American Cornhole Organization has regional championships.
Their logo has a dude wearing a baseball cap backwards.
You can buy officially certified boards and bags.

I don't know why but this makes me just a little more optimistic about the future, somehow.

(Unrelated: I'm working on the hurricane season preparation text for the June chat thread.)

I like to think it is because it is genuinely nice to simply chuckle at something rather than laugh so we don't cry.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If curling is an olympic sport I see no reason why cornhole can't be organized.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Well the thing with curling is that more that one country plays it. Cornhole, you might as well just give the gold to the USA to start with. It'd be like having Australian Rules Football at the Olympics, you'd have the Australian team kicking fifty goals over everyone else.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Memento posted:

Well the thing with curling is that more that one country plays it. Cornhole, you might as well just give the gold to the USA to start with. It'd be like having Australian Rules Football at the Olympics, you'd have the Australian team kicking fifty goals over everyone else.

I think other nations would find it easier to match USA in Cornhole over, say, Basketball. Plus c'mon, other countries may not have cornhole specifically but it's pretty drat close to horseshoes and that's pretty widespread.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

It doesn't need nearly the facilities that curling would require either. My main office has a cornhole league during lunch break in the aisleways.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Memento posted:

Cornhole is up here in Canada to. Plus do you guys need another sport we’d wreck you in?

All kidding aside games like those are a friggin blast to play when hanging out drinking with friends. I need to get off my rear end and make a set one of these days.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Memento posted:

I wasn't suggesting it become an olympic sport. Just saying that if Curling gets recognized as such, seems fair that there be a cornhole league.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Log posted:

When I first got to college in Kentucky, signs were everywhere that said, “CORNHOLE THIS CAMPUS!!!” with a date and time.

I was very confused.

Yeah that was an adjustment for me, moving to Georgia. People love their cornhole, and I had to completely settle in with the new context for that regionalism.

Also, what

Only registered members can see post attachments!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My wife is starting to talk about me getting a gun safe. I get the sense that she would prefer I not own or use firearms, but that she is glad I have a hobby. I guess she also wants me to get locking storage for ammunition. I'm wondering if anyone here feels the need to secure ammunition. I always kind of figured that it wasn't a threat without a gun, but she feels differently.

Up till now I haven't had my guns at home due to having kids and no safe, so buying one would allow me to bring the guns home.

She wants me to get an actual safe, not a Stack-on lockbox. I told her that a lockbox is a couple hundred and a safe is a couple thousand, but she seems to think that I should be able to find one used. Craigslist is kind of a bust. Is there somewhere else I should be looking, or is it as I suspect that people tend to keep them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've never locked up ammo. I also store ammo in a different room entirely.

Also moving the safe is going to be like 400 bucks. So even if you can find a safe used for 1/5th new price it's going to cost a grand just to buy and move.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

therobit posted:

She wants me to get an actual safe, not a Stack-on lockbox. I told her that a lockbox is a couple hundred and a safe is a couple thousand, but she seems to think that I should be able to find one used. Craigslist is kind of a bust. Is there somewhere else I should be looking, or is it as I suspect that people tend to keep them.
Like pianos, the big problem is moving it. Even the cheaper assembly ones weigh hundreds of pounds. Liberty's ammo can safe is like ~$400 and 270 lbs so I went with surplus 20mm cans instead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

5er posted:

Yeah that was an adjustment for me, moving to Georgia. People love their cornhole, and I had to completely settle in with the new context for that regionalism.

Also, what

Nothing to see here just me pushing the wrong button while playing with the admin panel.

One of the “perks” for you all with me being and admin is that I’m not shy about figuring out admin panel poo poo by fiddling with TFR. Keeps me from having to apologize to a mod when I accidentally turn all the posts neon blue or something.

Edit: I’ll continue tweaking later tonight. I’m on the phone right now.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

5er posted:

Also, what

I was gonna say that subforums can have their own custom report/reply buttons

But those are forum-wide

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wait what

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

I was gonna say that subforums can have their own custom report/reply buttons

But those are forum-wide

Ok just checked and I’m not seeing it in a random selection of “a couple other random forums I clicked”

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok just checked and I’m not seeing it in a random selection of “a couple other random forums I clicked”

I see it in PYF but not GBS.

Is this the mythical Radium code I always hear people talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

My wife is starting to talk about me getting a gun safe. I get the sense that she would prefer I not own or use firearms, but that she is glad I have a hobby. I guess she also wants me to get locking storage for ammunition. I'm wondering if anyone here feels the need to secure ammunition. I always kind of figured that it wasn't a threat without a gun, but she feels differently.

Up till now I haven't had my guns at home due to having kids and no safe, so buying one would allow me to bring the guns home.

You’ll still have the moving issue, but Facebook Marketplace had some last I looked.

«33 »