Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Here's some of my stripey danger dogs, apis mellifera:

I've got five hives this year, and I've got a remote monitoring setup that's pretty cool. They're doing well so far!

Here's some of my stripey water dogs, oreochromis niloticus:

They're about two inches long now. They started about a quarter of an inch:

Eventually they'll get about a foot long, and then they become dinner. Heres the ones that didn't make the cut last year:

In the meantime, their poop helps feed my leafy garden dogs Brassica something-or-otherus:

It seems to be working well, because these were planted on the same day:

In addition to my working breeds of dogs, I have a few lazy dead weight house dogs that don't pull their weight and are mostly ornamental.

Here is our knife-hands dog, Greta. She is an Aristocrat and doesn't back down, ever. She's mellowed out some, but at the start she would pick fights with everybody. She loves people, hates everything else, but has started to tolerate the other peasants in the house at least.

This is our fluffy tiger dog, Gus. He is extremely sweet and very dumb. He had to have a bunch of teeth pulled because he didn't chew his food and they all turned rotten. He also likes to cuddle, but if you move he freaks out and launches himself and slashes your stomach with the kickoff. He's otherwise very good about velveting his paws. Neither slashydog has torn up furniture (Greta has drawn blood on a few snoots though)

Here is my favorite dog, our sweet angel Cookie that just wants love and cuddles and play. She is a Very Good Girl and her only flaws are that she pulls on walks and often wants to Fight/Play With Every Dog - it's hard to tell because her play noises make other dogs think she's fighting, and when they start fighting back she fights back too! She's a total coward with loud sounds and is normally a nervous nelly, so it's weird. When we first got her she was scared of: leaves, garbage cans, plastic bags, anything that went bang or boom, a painting that i had put on a chair after it fell off the wall... She's the only one that tries to stand up to Her Majesty Miss Greta though, but she's a Good Girl when we tell her to be nice and not murder the thing that poked her in the face with knife hands:

Here is my deer. Sometimes he barks but I think he's autistic:

His name is Spartacus, and he is terrified of Greta. He will maximize the distance between them, and has been trapped on stairs and in rooms by her. She knows it too, and will bully him. Gus will twine around his legs and he will tolerate it but looks terrified while it happens. He is Very Fast but also very clumsy, and dumb in that dumb jock way where he just assumes he's going to get what he wants and ignores any obstacles that might be in the way like they're not there, muscling his way through them (unless they're Greta). He's very good on walks though.

Here he is crashing like an idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WQ_CNPpC8

And here he is getting lost in a race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdUEfl5fKg

Good dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Now you're primed to cancel a bunch of bids on stuff Captain Log is selling!

What witchcraft have you cast on me?

I had an auction end last night that got paid. This morning, the person requested a refund for the reason, "I changed my mind."

It's a loving auction, you rear end in a top hat.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

I used to wonder why so many Gunbroker listings had IF YOU CAN'T PAY THEN DON'T BID at or near the top.

I don't wonder any more.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Somebody Awful posted:

I used to wonder why so many Gunbroker listings had IF YOU CAN'T PAY THEN DON'T BID at or near the top.

I don't wonder any more.

I get a cancelled bid almost once a week. The only way you can cancel a bid is to say you bid the wrong amount. Which is funny when it's a .99 cent auction and that's the lowest amount available to bid.

About once a month, I get some sort of sob story. It pisses me off, because the fake ones mean I don't believe the actual legit ones. These always happen for items under ten bucks.

Here is a picture of the refund request. Note he paid a day late, twelve hours ago. The only reason it didn't get shipped was it being Sunday. This auction had twelve pictures (the maximum) and described everything in painstaking detail.

I so badly want to leave negative feedback on this guy, but it has so much more potential to blow up in my face than his. Ebay does gently caress all to protect the seller.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

JFC gently caress those people. I understand when I'm dealing with a stingy seller on an EE, that they do have to deal with selfish lovely people loving with them constantly. It sucks but oh well, haven't had too much issues with any transactions. I did give one guy a neutral rating for bad comms, because he took the money and went silent for a couple weeks, so he gave me a retaliatory neutral rating saying I was impatient, but that's it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Numlock posted:

I’ve had a bad week re:pets.

My cat started acting lethargic and wasn’t eating so he went to the vet this Saturday. He’s got a bacterial infection but the blood and urine work shows his kidneys are failing and he’s losing weight

So now it’s a matter of when it happens, sooner rather later according to the vet. So we are in saying good bye mode with him.

That really sucks.

We lost an exceptionally good cat a few years back due to kidney problems.

He initially was given 6 or less months, but subcutaneous fluid injections (2-3x/week) kept him pain free and active for a few years. Then in the span of a week, his kidneys failed hard.

Your cat’s issues may be entirely different, but if there’s a way to stabilize him, vets will often work with you cost wise if they understand your cat requires constant medication or other specialty supplies.

Having a convo with the vet got us a big discount on re-upping his fluids for years. When he had to be put down, the woman who cremated him saved a fur cutting, which we had not thought of. It’s more sentimental than ashes, IMO, and better holds color and texture than a photo.

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

I accidentally clicked for the cedar and brass box when I cremated my cat. Oops $$$$ well he was worth it

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Tomorrow’s the day. I love you, Scout, and I’m gonna miss you. I just want your suffering to end.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

Tomorrow’s the day. I love you, Scout, and I’m gonna miss you. I just want your suffering to end.

I'm sorry, man. Hang in there. You've given your animal a happy life.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I had a long time cat (~18 years) die recently and man it was time, she really hung on and was skin and bones, couldn’t groom herself anymore and would just pee wherever. She went downhill to the point where I had her scheduled to go in for sleep time but she ended up just dying the night before while I held her in front of the fireplace. So really it was probably the best way it could have gone.

She was kind of an rear end in a top hat though and isn’t really missed other than “wow it’s kind of different she’s not around anymore!” No one could pet her and the dogs were terrified of her. She was like the opposite of the other cat we have who is a loveable orange goofball who gets along with everyone (except her, who he liked to bug the poo poo out of).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Man of the Rising Sun

This is why I hate when we do pet threads here. Sure the pictures are nice, but they inevitably turn into a nonstop cavalcade of suffering and dying pet stories.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Nipponophile posted:

This is why I hate when we do pet threads here. Sure the pictures are nice, but they inevitably turn into a nonstop cavalcade of suffering and dying pet stories.

Let me tell you how I watched dogs and puppies die to parvo when I was a kid and helped bury them all

Need to take pictures of cute dogs and cats currently here.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nipponophile posted:

'Pet Sematary' was the best Pet Island name.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nipponophile posted:

Pets are creatures you love and hang out with, who you eventually pay someone to professionally poison to death.

Unless you're middle aged or old and get a parrot or tortoise, in which case you are sentencing your pet to losing you, then having to get over that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

My parrots are in my will, as should all animals be in their owner’s wills.

Cockatiels can live 25 years, while I’m 35 with a cloudy outlook. Serra might end up being a very wealthy parrot someday.

Now excuse me, I’m going to go cuddle my parrots.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

Need to take pictures of cute dogs and cats currently here.

This please, spam this thread with photos of y'all pets.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jack is my wife's cat and a lovebug, but also kinda dumb and doesn't understand that Hank (my cat) doesn't want to play with him.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Here's Terra and Luna, back when they would still cuddle together. They're sisters, their mom was a stray who left them in our backyard at 3 weeks old so we moved them in. They are good cats

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Catch of the week so far, went after 1/4oz spotted spoon of all things. Caught him again a little later. This is a fairly unpopular (by front range stantards) fishing spot so distancing was easy, but a bunch of cars had flyers on them saying that all the county roads were closed except to residents. For some reason I didn't guess one, I guess my truck looks enough like a ratty mountain truck to avoid their ire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

In the name of happy pet vibes -

Here is the day I met Serra. I knew the Bird Hut had a new clutch of baby cockatiels come in from Idaho. They were about three weeks old. The woman I was dating at the time helped me hand feed them and I decided to pay for the one who was still whining, nonstop, even after feeding. It was still months before Serra came home, but this is when I met Her Highness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZeNFHXbME

That noise is the noise extremely young cockatiels make when they want food. Or anything else.

Pictured - Serra when she came home, looking much more proper juvenile than baby juvenile.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Dog bed? I know of no dog bed. Isaac sits where Isaac wants.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Is that cat sitting right in front of a A/C vent?

Because I can respect that.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

I feel like I have so many pets. We have three cats and two dogs.

Serena and Thor came first. Serena, the black one, was abandoned by her mother almost immediately after birth so she was raised placed with the mother that was feeding Thor and the rest of his litter mates. They've been together their whole lives.

Athena came about a year later and is just about the friendliest dog around. Not aggressive towards anyone or anything, wants nothing but pets. She suckered up to the president of my compact company and now I bring her to work every week.

My wife, then fiancé, got Ozzie when I moved in. Super fun dog but is absolutely incapable of sitting still.

And finally, Oscar, because my wife wanted another cat. Not sure why we needed three but he basically acts like a dog.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I like how cats sit with all their appendages under them, the stereotypical cat loaf. I wish I could do that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Clapping Larry

Captain Log posted:

Is that cat sitting right in front of a A/C vent?

Because I can respect that.

That's a 25 year old Vulcan gas wall heater, which coincidentally we're having taken out tomorrow and replaced with a new one. I assume the cats will take up residence in front of the new heater.

Speaking of.

Clearly my comfort is secondary. One-handed typing is hard lol

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

This please, spam this thread with photos of y'all pets.
Loaf

Beans

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Some triggered, fragile boy in TFR keeps buying Numlock avatars, because Numlock said Nazis are bad.

Spending money to delete anti-Nazi avatars to trigger the libs.

Get well, Lowtax.

We’ll make sure my cat doesn’t suffer needlessly. His most urgent problem is not his kidneys but his allium levels in the blood which is too low. If it’s not treated water will begin to fill his body cavity and press on his lungs. But we apparently need to cure his bladder infection first before they can figure out which medicine will help, if any. So he’s on antibodies and in 10 days we’ll collect another urine sample and see where we go from there.

But we are watching him closely and if it looks like he’s having trouble we will take him back to the vet.

We are being realistic about this and it may be that we say goodbye to him soon. But we want to make sure we did everything we could for him before we make that decision. Right now he’s doing better and eating, though not as much as normal.

He’s had a good run, ~13 years and two of those were after he was diagnosed with cancer and Basically given a 50/50 chance of making it 6 months.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

That's a 25 year old Vulcan gas wall heater, which coincidentally we're having taken out tomorrow and replaced with a new one. I assume the cats will take up residence in front of the new heater.

Speaking of.

Clearly my comfort is secondary. One-handed typing is hard lol

Other countries do so much better than America with heating.

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Cat joined us for junior catan.

She wasn’t impressed but not much impresses an 18 year old cat.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Grey tabbies are Objectively The Best.

Orange tabbies are unquestionably the biggest assholes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Grey tabbies are Objectively The Best.

Orange tabbies are unquestionably the biggest assholes.

I see you've never lived with a siamese cat.

My family couldn't figure out why I was terrified of animals when I was small. Siamese cat who lived outdoors during the day is why. That thing treated me like a scratching post.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Captain Log posted:

I see you've never lived with a siamese cat.

My family couldn't figure out why I was terrified of animals when I was small. Siamese cat who lived outdoors during the day is why. That thing treated me like a scratching post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSYm1NPHP4

My partner has a Siamese. Sweet little cat that let me pet her a whole bunch.

She also has a little black cat that is very skittish, but patience won the cat's favor. Love black cats with gold eyes, and Siamese, so it worked out for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

This thread now belongs to hoho

[H O H O Z ON E]

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

All dogs are good dogs, but monkeys are assholes.

My dad is a bad man and when I was in second or third grade, someone owed him money and the conversation went something like "I don't have the money, but I have this monkey" and my dad saying "gently caress it, I'll take the monkey".

That monkey was a juvenile Japanese Macaque named Bobas. They call them snow monkeys because they're the pink bastards who hang around in hot springs surrounded by snow. They should be called loving assholes, because they're loving assholes.

About half our living room was devoted to an enclosure for Bobas.

Bobas would assert dominance by rattling its cage and screaming anytime I walked by, as well as by flinging fruit and/or poo poo at me. I'd be playing video games and if something cold hit my cheek it was fruit and if it was warm it was poo poo.

My dad and Bobas would groom each other and between the relaxing feeling of what I assume were perpetually poo poo covered monkey paws searching his scalp for grubs and whatever narcotics he was on at the time, my dad would routinely fall asleep inside the enclosure. Not being a responsible person, he would leave the door open and so Bobas would search our home for our male cat, who he would then sodomize, before typically climbing into the empty bath tub and start screaming. At some point between the sounds of the interspecies surprise sex and the shrieking from the bathroom, my dad would rouse himself and put Bobas back in the cage (typically getting his arms scratched up badly).

While all this was happening, my mom and I would usually be cowering in the kitchen, her typically with a large knife because she's a butcher's daughter.

This happened three or four times before my mom had enough and demanded that my dad give away Bobas.

I never found out what happened to that not-so glorious bastard, but I assume he continued to traumatize small children and felines for a long time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Imagine if you kept a person caged up like that. That's about what Bobas' life was like. Monkeys have a LOT of brainpower and social demands and cannot be kept caged alone like that. If Bobas wasn't relocated to a rescue or a zoo with a macaque community he could integrate with, I can't imagine his life ever got better.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I honestly don't know whatever happened to him. Knowing my dad, it's a solid 50/50 on his being given to a rescue organization or traded for drugs.

I was in second or third grade at the time, so I was absolutely terrified of Bobas and didn't really ask questions at the time. I didn't even really know what drugs were or just how heavily my dad was involved in that trade until years later, but yeah the exotic animal and drug trades are pretty closely linked and many of the people who keep exotic animals really have no business doing so.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jeez and right after those kitty pics.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

taqueso posted:

Jeez and right after those kitty pics.

Here, have someone doing pet exotic cat right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQvwtzi8N8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU