Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I mean, my cat can pry open the lid to a rubbermaid bin, dogs and cats can eventually figure out how to pry with their paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

One of my cats understands how his various toys work and engages based on mood. If he wants to play, heíll chase the bird feathers on a string/pole. And heíll chase the laser pointerís dot. If heís done with it or annoyed, heíll ignore the ďtargetĒ and go straight to the source and slap the laser pointer right out of your hand.

This is also why something like an autofeeder would probably get disassembled if he had one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

crazypeltast52 posted:

Growing up, a friend of my momís supposedly trained his dog to get him a beer from the fridge. Not entirely sure how the door would be opened there though.

Usually there's a towel tied to the handle so the dog can grab the free end and tug it open

Getting it closed again is another issue, best solve by just setting it so it closes on its own weight

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Usually there's a towel tied to the handle so the dog can grab the free end and tug it open

Getting it closed again is another issue, best solve by just setting it so it closes on its own weight

Thatís a pretty workaround to the lack of thumbs!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I was a kid, one of my friends had a cat that could operate doorknobs by grabbing the knob with both front paws and rocking its body side to side. It was pretty freaky to be sitting in his room playing NES when it was just the two of us in the house and have the doorknob suddenly start rattling for a second before the cat came charging in.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

I got to do test cutting with MY KATANA yesterday. It was a lot of fun and it owned. The weather was also really nice and, aside from getting sunburned because I forgot to reapply sunscreen, it was a perfect day. Unfortunately I look like a bag of rear end, so I'm not super inclined to post pictures of myself, but just trust me that it was Cool and Good.

gently caress it, I'll just edit out my stupid face. Also this is not one of my better cuts, as evidenced by the stand rocking and my left hand grip being a little too choked up, but I don't have any pictures of the good ones, so The idea is to cut the top mat and leave the lower untouched, demonstrating both power and control. So it looks like I'm stopping short, because I am; it's intentional.

I just couldn't let this go unreplied, neat sword and I respect you for bringing back the goonery of old.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

We went camping for the weekend at a state park I hadn't been to, had a great time and climbed to one of the neighboring ridges to get a better view.

Somehow camping hangovers are impossible, despite the truly troubling among of booze consumed. Asparagus, jalepeno bacon, and that sprouts Chimichurri steak are legit the best foods to cook while camping and I'll hear no different until I get my camp oven curry to my satisfaction.

Only downsides is that I was driving awhile over rough dirt roads, and now there's a creaking in my driver's side rear suspension. So far none of the points I hit with some grease appear to be the issue, but I'll get more under it tomorrow. Also, we came back to a curfew and everybody talking about a curfew we didn't know about due to our delightful lack of service.

Camping is the poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

I got to do test cutting with MY KATANA yesterday. It was a lot of fun and it owned. The weather was also really nice and, aside from getting sunburned because I forgot to reapply sunscreen, it was a perfect day. Unfortunately I look like a bag of rear end, so I'm not super inclined to post pictures of myself, but just trust me that it was Cool and Good.

gently caress it, I'll just edit out my stupid face. Also this is not one of my better cuts, as evidenced by the stand rocking and my left hand grip being a little too choked up, but I don't have any pictures of the good ones, so The idea is to cut the top mat and leave the lower untouched, demonstrating both power and control. So it looks like I'm stopping short, because I am; it's intentional.

Are you wearing an outfit?

I say this as a person who used to dress up in medieval crusader garb and fight in parks. I am not judging.

(Before anyone says anything, my group of friends bought Crusader tabards and formed "The Crusader Guild" as a joke. None of us were Christians and did it to provide a good foil to the multiple pagan guilds.)

CURFEW!!!

They set off my God damned phone again while I was working out, almost causing me to do a poo.

Both my father and I still have Nashville area codes. But I'm the only one who gets the warning. I cannot figure out why.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

I say this as a person who used to dress up in medieval crusader garb and fight in parks. I am not judging.

(Before anyone says anything, my group of friends bought Crusader tabards and formed "The Crusader Guild" as a joke. None of us were Christians and did it to provide a good foil to the multiple pagan guilds.)

CURFEW!!!

They set off my God damned phone again while I was working out, almost causing me to do a poo.

Both my father and I still have Nashville area codes. But I'm the only one who gets the warning. I cannot figure out why.

Do you have location services disabled?
I wouldn't be surprised if the logic for sending those out was basically: IF (in range of cell tower on this list OR (area code in list AND (NOT(reported location outside radius))) OR reported location inside radius)

I got tired of being woken up for Amber Alerts that were for metro areas 60+ minutes drive from my place, so I think I've disabled everything but severe weather alerts and the few that you can't disable (like presidential alerts).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Iím pretty sure Iíve got all non mega emergency alerts disabled. Iím just wondering why my Dad isnít getting them. We live in Portland, technically. We pretty much are on the border of Portland and Gresham.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Disable everything. As much fun as it would be to chase down every gray corolla with a partial plate from Nebraska I must prioritize my hearing.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I haven't got my curfew notice yet. Supposed to be again tonight until 5AM tomorrow.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Akion posted:

I haven't got my curfew notice yet. Supposed to be again tonight until 5AM tomorrow.

Saw 8p to 5a on the CDOT signs on six into denver today.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

8 pm here in Minneapolis, just glad that truck wasnít goIng highways speeds or we would be back to square one.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

My grandparents had a cat that figured out how to climb up the wall next to the back door, repeatedly push the top of the screen door until it bounced enough to back the latch out, open the screen door enough to squeeze in and jump up on the main doorknob, and hang off of that by its paws until the back door opened. It knew which cabinet the cat food was in, and would squeeze in just enough to climb inside with the door shut, then sit on the next shelf up and scoop out a pawfull of kibble at a time. Grandmother nearly infarcted one night when she heard scratching around in the cabinet and opened it up to an indignantly meowing cat.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

June chat thread's up.

Edit: Turns out I'm crap at the actual posting part and accidentally duplicated the thread while trying to change the icon, so apologies for that.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Log posted:

Hakama and gi is a pretty standard outfit for a lot of Japanese martial art schools. In some schools, like the aikido place I trained in too many years ago, it was awarded and worn subsequent to earning third dan, and such members were permitted to help train / correct beginners. The hakama helped indicate a knowledge level in the dojo. So if Dick Burglar there is in a school where that's part of the uniform, then he's really just in some somewhat showy workout clothes.

«33 »