Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I’m too dumb to figure how what these words mean I need a savant to teach what these words mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
It means you're disagreeing with a feminist, try gaslighting them to bypass the resistance

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Hardon Crime posted:

It means you're disagreeing with a feminist, try gaslighting them to bypass the resistance

God damnit it’s another word I hear all the time and don’t understand.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
Haha why would you ever need to know what something means? Just reply dudes rock and move on

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Inverse posted:

I’m too dumb to figure how what these words mean I need a savant to teach what these words mean.

I don't know maybe you should make a thread in QCS about it

After all that is what the "Q" in QCS stands for, questions

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Inverse posted:

It means you're stupid. Not the word, but you asking about it.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
Bad faith is when you believe in the bad god, not the good god that results in good faith.

An example of a disgenious is Nega Albert Einstein, who wrote many dissertations on joining the atom but died on the toilet before he could bring his dreams to fruition.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Eminem is another disgenious because he says mean things in raps good.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
A Song of Poo and Pee

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
shut up and gently caress off, op

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Slam Pajamas posted:

Bad faith is when you believe in the bad god, not the good god that results in good faith.

An example of a disgenious is Nega Albert Einstein, who wrote many dissertations on joining the atom but died on the toilet before he could bring his dreams to fruition.

A remember the hymn:

A good god is a dead one,
A good god is one who brings the fire.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It means you should take a year and think about your assertions and hope you don’t make any mistakes during that time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I agree with you, OP, but I do have a few concerns...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
arguing in bad faith means you are arguing for the sake of the outcome you want regardless of facts. there is no good faith or trust that you are willing to sincerely acknowledge the content of the argument
disingenuous means you know fully well youre lying and not merely making mistakes

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like some guy made the “men can’t be victims too” argument the other day and I proved him wrong.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Hey OP it means the other guy is losing

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It's basically that guy who calls you a hacker and a cheat except irl

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

it's a more direct way of trying to politely state that one's logic or demeanor is purposefully circuitous. hth

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I know what badfinger is. Would like more information?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
both terms, as used in political arguments on sa, are an efficient shorthand meaning that the person making the accusation believes that the person so accused either:

(1) does not genuinely hold the views or harbour the concerns they are presenting and has an ulterior motive (implicitly malicious in some way); or
(2) does have those views or concerns but is not presenting them guilelessly, rather is presenting them in the knowledge that they will meet with disagreement and with the intent of trolling, derailing discussion, or making some other party to the discussion feel uncomfortable or aggravated;

and that this is sufficient reason to disregard their arguments and dismiss their participation in the discussion. other terms, e.g. "just asking questions" exist with the same approximate meaning. The phrase "just asking questions" is ironic in that it is used to imply that the person so accused is not in reality merely requesting information of others or seeking to understand their viewpoints, but has an ulterior motive as discussed above.

a necessary condition for the application of these terms is that a consensus on the topic under discussion must exist alongside an animosity towards alternative viewpoints on the matter, whatever it might be, and a conviction that persons holding those alternative viewpoints can generally be expected to engage in discussion with malicious intentions.

i genuinely hope this helped.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

stfu OP

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Hammerite posted:

both terms, as used in political arguments on sa, are an efficient shorthand meaning that the person making the accusation believes that the person so accused either:

(1) does not genuinely hold the views or harbour the concerns they are presenting and has an ulterior motive (implicitly malicious in some way); or
(2) does have those views or concerns but is not presenting them guilelessly, rather is presenting them in the knowledge that they will meet with disagreement and with the intent of trolling, derailing discussion, or making some other party to the discussion feel uncomfortable or aggravated;

and that this is sufficient reason to disregard their arguments and dismiss their participation in the discussion. other terms, e.g. "just asking questions" exist with the same approximate meaning. The phrase "just asking questions" is ironic in that it is used to imply that the person so accused is not in reality merely requesting information of others or seeking to understand their viewpoints, but has an ulterior motive as discussed above.

a necessary condition for the application of these terms is that a consensus on the topic under discussion must exist alongside an animosity towards alternative viewpoints on the matter, whatever it might be, and a conviction that persons holding those alternative viewpoints can generally be expected to engage in discussion with malicious intentions.

Thank you.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Bad Faith - legacy media

Disingenuous - use of legacy media

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Both mean "you are arguing with me and I'm getting rekt but I can't ever admit that I'm wrong or even agree to disagree, because I've convinced myself that shitposting on line is the same as actually doing something useful"

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Hammerite posted:

Look at you, answering a question posed disingenuously in bad faith

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Hardon Crime posted:

Don't forget to also claim that being disagreed with on the internet makes you "feel unsafe", which is a cool new way to say that you're upset about opinions on the internet, but now with making anyone who tells you to walk it off or just to think about dogs for a bit until you are less mad about stuff look like a complete rear end in a top hat

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

teardrop posted:

:pwn:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

teardrop posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All I know is that chuds get real real mad if you say them.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Applewhite posted:

I agree with you, OP, but I do have a few concerns...

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Aahahaha imagine posting on loving twitter and actually getting into an argument on loving twitter

Time to reflect, op

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Icochet posted:

Aahahaha imagine posting on loving twitter and actually getting into an argument on loving twitter

Time to reflect, op

More like time to PROJECT, op haha get it :ocelot: :grin:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
noooooo

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Bad faith is like when you overcook the bread and you think "gosh this is burnt, I can't eat it" so you give it to a homeless shelter. Disingenuous is like when you're learning another language that uses an unfamiliar consonant and instead of thinking how to position your mouth, you give up on learning the language.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s when you don’t believe in the dragon enough and it starts to die

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The internet is a good place for serious political discussion I hear.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Inverse posted:

It means all of my responses to your posts haha

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It means you're winning the argument. Don't let up!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bad Faith is my Faith No More cover band. we're terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bad faith is when you say you identify as an attack helicopter.

Disingenuous is when you say your preferred pronouns are His Majesty.