Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

This game owned. Would love for there to be a modern day remaster of this title. You can still play it on fan ran servers, but its such a poorly aged MMORPG that its really not that fun.

I think you desire for a remaster/remake is understandable, but ultimately impossible (to be good). The game was a product of the internet technology and culture of the time. It is impossible to replicate. None of the magic would be there in the era of game wikis and datamining, hyper-organized gaming groups, and no remaining "novelty" in online interaction.

This goes for a lot of MMOs of that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you want to think about Star Wars Galaxies and have excess time on your hands, I highly recommend this series of blog posts by Ralph Koster who had an instrumental role in the design of the game. It's great reading if you're interesting in this game/MMOs of the time/game design in general. It's also kind of a post mortem of the game itself.

Part 1: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/
Part 2: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/
Part 3: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/20/swgs-dynamic-world/
Part 4: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/21/designing-a-living-society-in-swg-part-one/
Part 5: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/22/designing-a-living-society-in-swg-part-two/
Part 6: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/27/did-star-wars-galaxies-fail/

quote:

When our team got going on Star Wars, we didn’t have an office yet. We worked out of J. Allen Brack’s house (he went on to be incredibly important to the history of World of Warcraft); in fact, three of the team lived there. I distinctly remember having conversations with Chris Mayer in the living room of that house — probably between bouts of Soul Calibur, we were all hooked — and trying to figure out what the heck to do with Jedi. At this point, we didn’t yet have the game’s vision document, we didn’t yet have a game design, or anything. So the statement “live in the Star Wars Universe” was not yet our guiding star. But we knew already that having an alpha class in an MMO was going to be a real problem. The problem was clear:

Everyone wants to be a Jedi.
Jedi are rare during the original trilogy.
Jedi are super powerful.

Of these three pillars, something would have to give.

quote:

But the game was shaping up. Players had formed governments. Vehicles were very popular. The early game economy, which was intentionally rocky becuse players had not yet developed all the interdependence infrastructure, had started to hum along. Entertainers were going on tour, and few of them were macroing, because they played entertainers because they liked it. People were building supply chain empires and businesses with hundreds of employees. Merchants were making a name for their shops full of custom-crafted gear.

And most importantly, nobody was a Jedi. Nobody cared. They were playing the professions they liked. They were doing what they wanted to do. The secret of Jedi was a secret still, and there were countless theories. Players thought they were being watched and only the deserving would be picked. Players thought that various half-finished bits of content were actually the star tof Jedi quest chains. And meanwhile, players were invisibly checking off items on their secret skill lists.

And LucasArts marketing says, “we need a Jedi by Christmas.”

quote:

Star Wars Galaxies set out with the intent of “letting you live in the Star Wars Universe.” The fanbase was very diverse, from people who just dreamt of lightsabers to people shipping Oola and Jabba. And there are a lot of ways to make a living. Because of this, the entire game was built around the idea of weak-tie interdependence: the idea that people you don’t know well at all are in fact crucial to your survival, and important, and matter.

In UO we saw people kill each other in droves, because that simplistic social model effectively meant that social structures could stay pretty small. There weren’t longer chains of interdependence. Whereas in SWG, I wanted to make sure that people knew they were part of a society, and most features were centered around that.

quote:

Right about now, to any player of SWG, what I have described in tandem with the “bouncy” nature of HAM as I originally pictured it, is probably sounding completely unfamiliar to them. And that’s because combat in SWG was a disaster.

quote:

I get asked this question all the time. In fact, now that I do consultancy from time to time, it’s not unusual for a company to come to me and say “can you put in crafting like SWG? Our players say it was the best ever!” Usually, they have actually, you know, designed their game already, or even built it. And I have to tell them, “No. You build your game around it, not the other way around.”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I definitely remember that was a scandal involving duped credits. It became a big problem because Sony, unable to determine who created them, just starting banning anyone who happened to possess them. Apparently they could tell which credits were legit and which were duped, but of course the common player could not. Since this is money we're talking about, the problem here is obvious. By the time the hammer came down the duped credits had been tipped, been traded, and generally spread all over. It was a bad solution and more innocents got caught it than actual dupers.

I also remember the "teleport to space" thing, can't remember if was specifically about the duped credits thing but it probably was. But yeah people were protesting in-game, and I guess for lack of better tools to handle it some GM's just teleported them away into space. I don't think this actually killed them or whatever, because it's not like the game ever had a reason to put a person in space so oxygen and what not was not modeled. It just left them functionally disabled until teleported back.

I wasn't even playing the game when either of these things happened. But I remember because they were notorious events at the time and the was plenty of buzz about it online.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 11, 2020