Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
There's a Jungian trend to attribute the Major Arcana to a kind of symbolic journey of self-growth. You start with The Fool who looks like they're starting on a journey. They get initiated into the mystical by the Magician and High Priestess (think Luke meeting Obiwan or Bilbo meeting Gandalf), learn about the orders of the world through the Empress, Emperor, and Hierophant, gain personal prowess in the Chariot and Strength, and so on, until you reach the mystical higher powers of Judgment and The World, which often have explicit Christlike imagery.

Along with Persona, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure uses that "tarot as journey" motif as the basic plot structure of its Stardust Crusaders arc. Persona very explicitly takes a Jungian approach to Tarot--the Major Arcana are something like your inner Anima; enemies are Shadows; and in Persona 4 you literally have to go into your own psyche to come to terms with your Shadow.

I don't know the history of Tarot-as-mysticism, but I am willing to bet that its ubiquity in modern culture comes from folks like the Theosophists in the late 1800s and the Jungians in the early 1900s (I don't think Jung himself had that much exposure to Tarot cards but they play right into his hand). Like Mr Enderby said, there was this big occult revivalism thing going on in the West during that era, so I wouldn't be surprised if the more codified version of Tarot reading and things like that came from a few specific organized groups. For instance, the whole weird "Tulpamancy" internet subculture comes straight from the Theosophists, specifically from a female European opera singer/adventurer (yes) named Alexandra David-Néel who traveled to Tibet and wrote a book full of her misunderstandings of Buddhist ritual practices. I'm willing to bet our modern fascination with Tarot cards comes from a similar place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU