Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
imagine u had the opportunity to pay a network admin for a decade to code up a sick forum. what kind of features would u want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

load bearing dates, op

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hilarious, zany, and even wacky error messages. the less descriptive the better

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a feature that turns non-ascii text in thread titles into garbage

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I'd like as many buggy CSS overlays as possible that makes it nearly impossible to click things without jutting your mouse around to 'trick' the interface.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

imagine u had the opportunity to pay a network admin for a decade to code up a sick forum. what kind of features would u want?

upvote

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got notified when i got quoted

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
a feature that enforces correct pronunciation of gif or you can't log in

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

not much whats upvote with you

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Each smile has a special sound effect that plays when posted on the forum in real time in your browser. Doesn't if its in the thread you have open. It'll play if anyone's used it anywhere on the forums.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

pram posted:

hilarious, zany, and even wacky error messages. the less descriptive the better

stay out of my code

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

every subforum has the greenPOS stylesheet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
digg integration

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

load bearing dates, op

datetimes, no gmt, no offset

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
no mods

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
apple pay integration

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cloud native, serverless microservices architecture

every page load should peg 16 processors and take 30 seconds on the backend so it can be web scale

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
Two clicks at the same time, man.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
eat up martha

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the database is a csv file. moderation is performed by editing it in excel

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

animist posted:

the database is a csv file. moderation is performed by editing it in excel

can this instead somehow be done in a table in an MS word document?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the forums are a table in an ms word document that all users can edit.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at a job i once had we had a weekly status tracking system that was an excel document in a shared folder and each person in the division (of 50+) had a 5 minute meeting on their calendar that was their time slot to open, edit, and save the tracking spreadsheet

this was in the 2010s

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
it would only support 1 thread and it would always be locked

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

at a job i once had we had a weekly status tracking system that was an excel document in a shared folder and each person in the division (of 50+) had a 5 minute meeting on their calendar that was their time slot to open, edit, and save the tracking spreadsheet

this was in the 2010s

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
sometimes editing the description of a board deletes it entirely

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the back end is a document store so each sub forum and even each thread can have its own distinct schema

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
floating point precision voting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

unlimited gang tags

just walls of tags next to every emptyquote post

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
a mobile style sheet that bombards you with popups to download the app

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
(the app of course uploads your contact list to a guy in russia)

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
build the front-end in vrml

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
ask for location/notification permission on every page load

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

AtomD posted:

build the front-end in vrml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BT13BbXoE

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The ability to detect the users of such abominations as AmberPOS and deliver bans accordingly.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
posts will be stored in a database. posting and reading of forums will be done via free desktop client: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/sql-developer.html

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

rotor posted:

posts will be stored in a database. posting and reading of forums will be done via free desktop client: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/sql-developer.html

this is good, could like use triggers to send a pub/sub notification when someone adds a post to a table you're watching. could have each thread be it's own table to make that easier

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

AtomD posted:

ask for location/notification permission on every page load

you motherfucker.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
forum federation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome