Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Since our thread much like our entire service was forgotten about and ignored I have taken it upon myself to make a new one cause why the gently caress not.

There are like 5 of us on here and between all of us we have seen a lot of different poo poo and had a lot of different jobs, from boat drivers, to mechanics, to international law enforcement to professional desk surfing. So we can probably answer most of your questions about what is arguably the most family friendly not 100% mentality challenged service branch.

We occasionally get paid on time and as with any good stepchild get everyone else's hand me downs regardless of actual working condition. That being said the primary difference is that unlike the rest of the military branches we actually do something on a daily basis and generally assist everyone else in the background. That and we give our Jr. members a hilarious amount of responsibility when compared to most other branches. We are the service least likely to gently caress your life up for made up reasons and surprisingly most of the guys who post on here don't despise what they do but its still the military so the general rules of fuckery still apply. (Ask me about the missing chunks of my spine)

For more info reach out to us or head to the CG website.

And for fucks sake don't try to join thinking that you won't have to get on a ship cause that's a really bad idea while the navy claims the record for longest patrol we used to legit anchor lightships(portable lighthouses) out on the water and sometimes crew swaps were every six months. While we no longer do it that type of poo poo is how you find yourself on a ship doing something dumb like getting ready for a 164 day patrol of best Korea or getting underway for six months to circumnavigate North America. That being said you may also find yourself on a ship that does a beer cruise up to the Dakotas

Melthir fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)

Taco Defender

During my first year in the Navy, I really appreciated that Coast Guard made their rank insignia visible. When walking past a coastie, I didn't have to have staring matches with BM1 who thought I was trying to intimidate them into saluting but I was just trying to figure out if they were a Commander.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Was six years Marine enlisted and now coming up on six years doing contractor work for the Coast Guard

have to tell you, I should've joined the Coast Guard instead of the Marines

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I love astoria Oregon.

I hate sector columbia river.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)

Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

I love astoria Oregon.

I hate sector columbia river.

What's bad about the Columbia River?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

piL posted:

I seriously dont know how to formulate an answer to this. San Francisco was leaps and bounds better, Columbia River is good but it feels... Off i guess?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)

Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

I seriously dont know how to formulate an answer to this. San Francisco was leaps and bounds better, Columbia River is good but it feels... Off i guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLZOKshJPs

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

I was there for a short time, but I did not really interact with anyone outside my shop, but my one regret was not exploring Oregon more during my time in Astoria. Astoria is very nice, but unless you are in CG or retired, not a great job market. If you get a chance do the Astoria, Portland, Tillamook circle drive, it's great and can be done in a day.

Nice and hot piss
Jan 31, 2004

I walked by a coast guard...House? or something in Newport Oregon and there was a dude just chilling in his car in his uniform and feet propped upon his open door.

poo poo was dank and makes me think the coast guard is cool and good

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

D13 is home to a large group of adrenalin junkies called surfmen. It feeds back into the other CG units in the area and it creates a culture of stupidity and stress for no reasons. It should be one of the coolest places in the CG but it somehow ends up sucking for a large amount of people.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

D13 is home to a large group of adrenalin junkies called surfmen. It feeds back into the other CG units in the area and it creates a culture of stupidity and stress for no reasons. It should be one of the coolest places in the CG but it somehow ends up sucking for a large amount of people.

Forgot the fact that we are also a Jayhawk airstation....

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Currently on Night watch #3, Juniper decided to wake me up earlier than i wanted but i still managed to get some hours of light sleep.

You know those pictures of Ben Affleck smoking, tho one he looks old as gently caress, tired and dejected? Yeah, i feel like that.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Forgot the fact that we are also a Jayhawk airstation....

Ashton Kutcher wannabes are a CG wide phenomenon, donut havers are not.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Posting here stealing my sister's valor because Coast Guard is the chillest branch.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Ashton Kutcher wannabes are a CG wide phenomenon, donut havers are not.

Rescue swimmers are chill dudes

Pilots and officers have a high potential of being baaaaad

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Rescue swimmers are chill dudes

Pilots and officers have a high potential of being baaaaad

I mean...yeah their officers...