Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
During my first year in the Navy, I really appreciated that Coast Guard made their rank insignia visible. When walking past a coastie, I didn't have to have staring matches with BM1 who thought I was trying to intimidate them into saluting but I was just trying to figure out if they were a Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

I love astoria Oregon.

I hate sector columbia river.

What's bad about the Columbia River?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ElMaligno posted:

I seriously dont know how to formulate an answer to this. San Francisco was leaps and bounds better, Columbia River is good but it feels... Off i guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLZOKshJPs

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

Mother fuckers, we had a really high tide and alot of people here have rigged up a system that allows you to push your boat off the shore let it drift off the pull a rope and release your anchor. When you pull the rope again it will lift your anchor and allow you to pull the boat in by hand. Tide was like 17. Bunch of guys didn't have enough line out on there anchor so their boats floated off. They are now calling the Cg asking to be picked up then throwing a Karen fit when they are told bm at the station it's going to be a bit cause they are working a legit search and rescue case.

So they call call the base and start yelling at me cause BM2 fuckstick told them that they would not be picked up instantly and want a helo launched. I told them that's the stations call and get yelled at some more and told that they dont have enough food to make it through lunch....I pull the phone away and start laughing. Lady is straight furious at this point.This lady is legit trying to convince me she may die if she misses a lunch after already stating that she had no medical conditions that would need emergency treatment.

Would I be a dick if I called station and arranged for them to pick her up after dinner?

Dude, that's really rough. How were they supposed to know how high the tide would be? You can't predict that poo poo.

You guys charge for 'rescues', right?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

nwin posted:

I think he was being sarcastic.

Only about the tides part!

I felt like people would be held accountable for accidently getting a vessel underway without the ability to maneuver as required by the rules, but I guess not.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

That would require accountability.

We had a dude buy a boat, sail it down and illegally fish along the way. Engine failed. Son tried to call the CG. The dad threw the kids phone in the water to prevent call. They rig makeshift sails from sheets and sleeping bags. They hailed a passing vessel who proceeded to call the CG. We tow this guy in and the whole time he is obviously trying to keep us from talking to his kid. We get them separated and the kid gleefully spills the beans. Legal gets involved. A year later we find out all that happened was they fined him 150 bucks. The gas we spent on the case cost more then that.

Heck, that cell phone probably cost more than that. On one hand, more accountability for public costs. On the other hand while slavery and overfishing--with nets and trawls, not trolling--persist on the seas, maybe its inappropriate to be too heavy handed.

But the sea is trying to kill you and you should be scared of it. It is rigorous preparation and practiced skill that permits us defy her wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

Whelp, done with the MAT. One more tour left unless I pick up an anchor. At least it's on a bouy tender.

A friend introduced me to the British pronunciation of buoy and in light of that, I think they should consider renaming those vessels.