Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Since our thread much like our entire service was forgotten about and ignored :tinfoil: I have taken it upon myself to make a new one cause why the gently caress not.

There are like 5 of us on here and between all of us we have seen a lot of different poo poo and had a lot of different jobs, from boat drivers, to mechanics, to international law enforcement to professional desk surfing. So we can probably answer most of your questions about what is arguably the most family friendly not 100% mentality challenged service branch. :chillpill:

We occasionally get paid on time and as with any good stepchild get everyone else's hand me downs regardless of actual working condition. That being said the primary difference is that unlike the rest of the military branches we actually do something on a daily basis and generally assist everyone else in the background. That and we give our Jr. members a hilarious amount of responsibility when compared to most other branches. We are the service least likely to gently caress your life up for made up reasons and surprisingly most of the guys who post on here don't despise what they do but its still the military so the general rules of fuckery still apply. (Ask me about the missing chunks of my spine)

For more info reach out to us or head to the CG website.

And for fucks sake don't try to join thinking that you won't have to get on a ship cause that's a really bad idea :captainpop: while the navy claims the record for longest patrol we used to legit anchor lightships(portable lighthouses) out on the water and sometimes crew swaps were every six months. While we no longer do it that type of poo poo is how you find yourself on a ship doing something dumb like getting ready for a 164 day patrol of best Korea or getting underway for six months to circumnavigate North America. That being said you may also find yourself on a ship that does a beer cruise up to the Dakotas :getin:

Melthir fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

What's bad about the Columbia River?

D13 is home to a large group of adrenalin junkies called surfmen. It feeds back into the other CG units in the area and it creates a culture of stupidity and stress for no reasons. It should be one of the coolest places in the CG but it somehow ends up sucking for a large amount of people.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Forgot the fact that we are also a Jayhawk airstation....

Ashton Kutcher wannabes are a CG wide phenomenon, donut havers are not.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Rescue swimmers are chill dudes

Pilots and officers have a high potential of being baaaaad

I mean...yeah their officers...

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Just a reminder the military hates everyone in it's own special way. We got a dude getting discharged cause he had a girlfriend while going through a divorce. Literally living in a different house then his wife for two years.

Wife got a live in boyfriend and already has a kid by him. Found out about his girlfriend and raised hell. Dudes getting the boot at 18 years.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Things are better at work, who knew that doing a 2 month rotation of day/night watches instead of doing them monthly AND working days would make me for a better worker.

Wait what?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Mother fuckers, we had a really high tide and alot of people here have rigged up a system that allows you to push your boat off the shore let it drift off the pull a rope and release your anchor. When you pull the rope again it will lift your anchor and allow you to pull the boat in by hand. Tide was like 17. Bunch of guys didn't have enough line out on there anchor so their boats floated off. They are now calling the Cg asking to be picked up then throwing a Karen fit when they are told bm at the station it's going to be a bit cause they are working a legit search and rescue case.

So they call call the base and start yelling at me cause BM2 fuckstick told them that they would not be picked up instantly and want a helo launched. I told them that's the stations call and get yelled at some more and told that they dont have enough food to make it through lunch....I pull the phone away and start laughing. Lady is straight furious at this point.This lady is legit trying to convince me she may die if she misses a lunch after already stating that she had no medical conditions that would need emergency treatment.

Would I be a dick if I called station and arranged for them to pick her up after dinner?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Ah dead whales. Look up siuslaw river whale on YouTube. Great introduction to my old station.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Flying_Crab posted:

If you can find a loving whale in Lake Michigan, please let me know. I've gotta see that poo poo.

.......I've seen the locals. Take 10 min max.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

Dude, that's really rough. How were they supposed to know how high the tide would be? You can't predict that poo poo.

You guys charge for 'rescues', right?

Actually you can predict the tides. They have little books in every store here for a dollar and there are multiple apps. They have it down to the inch.

No, search and rescue is generally free.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

I think he was being sarcastic.

I'm an idiot. News at 7.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

piL posted:

Only about the tides part!

I felt like people would be held accountable for accidently getting a vessel underway without the ability to maneuver as required by the rules, but I guess not.

That would require accountability.

We had a dude buy a boat, sail it down and illegally fish along the way. Engine failed. Son tried to call the CG. The dad threw the kids phone in the water to prevent call. They rig makeshift sails from sheets and sleeping bags. They hailed a passing vessel who proceeded to call the CG. We tow this guy in and the whole time he is obviously trying to keep us from talking to his kid. We get them separated and the kid gleefully spills the beans. Legal gets involved. A year later we find out all that happened was they fined him 150 bucks. The gas we spent on the case cost more then that.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I'm the dumb rear end who's going to have to repeatedly throw his name in the warrant officer hat. If you can do OCS do it. Get some merchant marine certs and make the cash.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp, done with the MAT. One more tour left unless I pick up an anchor. At least it's on a bouy tender.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp here's to hoping I don't die while pcsing to SC. Witness me.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Hearing fisherman going from "we are taking on water" to "we are abandoning ship" in minutes is absolutely brutal

One of my worst nightmares is like that but on a sail boat.

We found all of them except their kid.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Wooooo toxic gas leak blown way out of proportion. 5 hours later hey can you ask the guys to stay late to wrap up?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

sounds like a CDO got too micromanagy.

Speaking of CDOs, Royce Heckerndorn. Hard motherfucking BMCM Surfman and Sector San Francisco CDO just lost his battle against cancer. He has been the only legit good CDO that knew his poo poo and wasnt a motherfucker micromanager .

Rest in piss.

drat Royce was good people. gently caress cancer.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Lol partial quarantine. One dude may have Covid. We made a gym. Shits about to get real dumb cause the command is freaking out but at the same time not following their own plan. Its 3 ring circus time.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

Eh...if the location is right I probably wouldn’t mind a gs13 gig somewhere. Now that the weight is off my shoulders regarding the promotion we’ll see if I stay past 20 or not.

Show me the way.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp diverting to Florida getting ready for possible hurricane response.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

loving broke rear end boat.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp, I got to go buy some new poo poo. Got pulled aside last night and told im sitting at #12 for MKC on the November test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Depending on past life mistakes very. At some recruiting locations you have an extremely long wait at others not so much. Honestly its not a bad gig just remember it is the military and the same stupidity happens in this branch as any other just not quite to the same degree. Remember there are ships and you have a very large chance of being on at least one during your first tour.