Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Melthir posted:

Just a reminder the military hates everyone in it's own special way. We got a dude getting discharged cause he had a girlfriend while going through a divorce. Literally living in a different house then his wife for two years.

Wife got a live in boyfriend and already has a kid by him. Found out about his girlfriend and raised hell. Dudes getting the boot at 18 years.

yup the mil doesn't recognize status: separated, even with court documents. though somewhere in the ucmj or mcm it says that at sentencing it should be taken into consideration, or something. idk I've been out for a long time

e: for disciplinary poo poo, anyway. I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to take BAH/FSA away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Are you still a GS with the navy? Something like that?

probably, it's hard to tell sometimes

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

Whelp here's to hoping I don't die while pcsing to SC. Witness me.

in normal times Charleston (not north) would be rad but rn seems bad. If it’s somewhere else in sc then idk.

Good luck to all coasties

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Heh I’m only eligible to stay in until 20-I can see that I worded that kinda hosed up. I was selected for lcdr so i lm guaranteed retirement now. I’ve still got 5.5 years left.

Imo do the math on whether it’s more worth it to buy back your service once you pin on / and go for long civ career (because it’s not hard to hit 15 or even SES w/ an o career behind you) vice retiring if you have good prospects civil service wise.

It’s not always a straightforward answer because you lose some poo poo if you take the retirement upfront. 15 years is a little late to make that call but at the same time if you’re shooting for gs15 or higher as the ending state of your career you’re in it for the long game

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I’m going to do the 20 and get the pension/insurance. That’s not even a question at this point. The main thing will be if I stay in past 20. Kids will be 7 and 5 when I hit 20 and I’d like to not move them around a ton, but I should have just gotten looked at for CDR, so if I make that it could definitely be worth sticking around for another 3 years. I’d be completely fine shutting my brain off and getting a 13 position somewhere for a while after that.

Who knows what will happen-right now I’m just glad that I’ve got tenure and I feel like I’m playing with house money for a while instead of always drumming poo poo up for the next promotion. This next LT OER is going to be a loving snooze fest though.

Oh yeah I forgot you had kids. That changes the math p significantly on its own. Glad you’re still making it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Thanks man-what are you doing now?

Program / avail / financial management stuff. I also for some reason spaced that you had commissioned at first which is another thing that changes the math on that a lot.

Imo for the passive audience if you’re at 10ish years (enlisted)and hating your life it’s worth considering jumping ship now if you have a good shot at starting around the 11/12 range. Leave works different if you retire from the mil and it’s gonna be a real slap on the balls/vulva if you get out and only earn 1 day/month for the first three years, and buyback for creditable service works differently for retirees too