Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will The NFL Play In 2020?
The season will start at its normal time and will be played as usual with fans packed in the stadium.
The season will start at its normal time, but will have a restricted number of fans allowed in the stadium.
The season will start at its normal time, but no fans will be allowed in the stadium.
The season will be truncated/shortened somehow and/or moved to later in the year. Games will be played in 2020 and fans will be packed in the stadium.
The season will be truncated/shortened somehow and/or moved to later in the year. Games will be played in 2020 but only a restricted number of fans will allowed in the stadium.
The season will be truncated/shortened somehow and/or moved to later in the year. Games will be played in 2020, but no fans will be allowed in the stadium.
There will be no NFL games played at all in the year 2020.
View Results

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Season will happen. That makes Arizona and Florida offering to host entire leagues

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1260641707550539779?s=20

But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".

E: oh that tweet isn't recent..my dumb joke stands, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Hall of Fame game got cancelled because groundskeepers used the wrong type of paint a couple years ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

The Hall of Fame game got cancelled because groundskeepers used the wrong type of paint a couple years ago.

No one cares about the hall of fame game other than as an excuse to have dumb sideline interviews with the inductees of that year, but to be fair this kind of understates the case.

I mean it's a true statement, but it also made the field completely unsafe and unplayable even if you didn't care about safety.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Right but the point is they didn't try to reschedule it or anything. It's completely expendable.

I think most people predicting that the season will start on time believed that the preseason would either be truncated or completely scratched.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If we hit Anthony Fauci's 100,000-person a day sweepstakes you won't have to cancel football because no one's going to play

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
More games cut.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1278438210973155334

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
season happening

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

NFL discussing a waiver for attendees. Season happening. So goddamn stupid tho

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Goon lawyers, how ironclad can that NFL waiver for attendees hold up if they get the COVID-19?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Goon lawyers, how ironclad can that NFL waiver for attendees hold up if they get the COVID-19?

I realise I'm not a lawyer. But those usually fall apart pretty quickly as waivers don't cover gross negligence and intentionally putting people in dangerous situations (again usually). It's just most people:

A) would never sign something like that
B) if they did, are probably too dumb to go the legal route because they think it's legit.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I realise I'm not a lawyer. But those usually fall apart pretty quickly as waivers don't cover gross negligence and intentionally putting people in dangerous situations (again usually). It's just most people:

A) would never sign something like that
B) if they did, are probably too dumb to go the legal route because they think it's legit.

googling around it seems like they could just put it on the back of the ticket. eg:

quote:

He has said he had no chance against the ball, which he couldn’t even see coming toward him because of other fans’ open umbrellas around him during the rainy match-up.

But a four-judge appeals panel ruled Tuesday that Zlotnick should have realized that open umbrellas might obstruct his view of an incoming ball.

“Rainy weather and umbrellas are not uncommon to the game of baseball, and [Zlotnick] admittedly used his own umbrella during the course of the game before being struck by the foul ball,” the judges said in the unanimous decision.

“The circumstances presented warranted [Zlotnick] heeding the warnings on the back of his ticket, and on the back of the seats, as well as those regularly made over the public address system,” the panel wrote.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

hifi posted:

googling around it seems like they could just put it on the back of the ticket. eg:

Is that not a bit different though? As that's an "occupational" hazard of attending a baseball game in comparison to this which has nothing to do with the sport itself.

Again though, I'm not a lawyer and might be pulling this totally out my arse.

The only reason I think it wouldn't stand is there was a WWF storyline for WrestleMania X7 where Chyna supposedly signed a waiver absolving the Fed if she got hurt or worse. Some YouTube guys who were reviewing it asked a lawyer if that was legit and he basically said "if the company knows the risk and is intentionally putting people in harm's way, then waivers mean gently caress all."

Because there is apparently a legal difference between a lot of this stuff.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 2, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I guess it would be like the NFL trying to say they're not liable for a spectator's death of a game was held in the middle of a hurricane.

God, the NFL is so stupid.

The NBA's hope for finishing the season in a bubble is already showing signs of strain. IIRC the Brooklyn Nets might not have enough players to field a team if a couple more players test positive.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think we are going to get football, really. I doubt the Player's Union will put up with it when push comes to shove. It will take at most one team falling apart because of a COVID infection in the locker room. Basketball is already teetering on the edge.

There's a universe where football looked likely, but it involved red states not treating COVID as a hoax at Trump's invitation. As it is Tom Brady resting a season will probably allow him to play til he's 50 now.

That said, as a hedge, if we do get football it will be a colossally stupid idea that will end in disaster.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Cam will suck & get injured again within the first 5 games, then Garrett Sydham will take the Patriots to a .50 record.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So we're starting on time, albeit without preseason games. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

So we're starting on time, albeit without preseason games. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Thanks, Whizzo